cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Go For It! Repair or Replace it Yourself..You Can Do It

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Consider this post a "Call to Arms" so to speak to encourage anyone to undertake their own RV repairs, modifications and maintenance. I read so many posts here asking if this or that can be taken on by the owner. In most cases it can be with no problem.

Of course I realize that due to age or physical limitations some may not be able to do this. But it doesnt hurt to educate yourself as much as possible to avoid being taken advantage of by RV dealers and repair facilities.

Anyone can do just about anything to their own RV.

There are two electrical systems 12 volt DC and 120 Volt AC.

There is a propane system for the stove, Furnace and the water heater (most units)

Then there is the plumbing system with Two systems interior to that, the onboard system using the water pump and fresh water tank and the outside supply.

These systems are very basic in most cases and familiar to many of us from our houses. Those that may be unfamiliar are still not complicated and can be mastered with reading the manual and doing some minimal online research.

In my case I have done the following on my 34 foot Gulfstream trailer.

Installed all new flooring incl. "floating type" in the bathroom and entry.

Replaced Kitchen sink with larger better (standard household models) SST double sink and faucet

Tore out my bathroom vanity, sink etc and replaced with a new one, Tiled the backsplash and counter and new medicine cabinet/mirror.

Re-wired my pigtail, getting rid of those horrible plastic twist nuts and terminated each wire with ring lugs (marine type with heat shrink), installed a distribution box and power dist. strip.

Replaced the old corroded inline 50 amp fuse in the pigtail with a marine grade 50 amp fuse and water resistant box.

Cut my Power cord off (I had the type that had to be pushed in and out) Added a marine grade Marinco receptacle mounted in a weather proof box wired to a dist. box in my bathroom and installed a new plug on the end of my cord...freeing my cord and making hookup much easier, surer and safer.

Repaired and adjusted my main living area slide

Tore out the living area dinette and sofa, moved some interior storage areas, created a table and chair dining table area and added to recliners essentially reversing the floorplan of the original.

Put down all new commercial grade carpeting in my main slide and living area.

Removed and recovered all of the window surrounds in the main living area.

Replaced both 12 v and 120AC light fixtures in the main living area.

Tore out the upper bunk of my small slide area and added matching cabinets I bought from Home Depot above the lower bunk.

Insulated the complete underside of the trailer as well as all outside storage areas with Owens Corning Pink Foamular insulation covered over with White Plastic version of that commonly used under most RV's.

Removed my Furnace cleaned and re mounted it properly. (It was not installed correctly at the factory so that much of the air didnt make it into the duct system.)

And the biggest job of all...I found some old rot in the floor of my small slide (I bought this trailer used) It was all dry rot. I replaced the slide floor and fit in new framing where necessary. This entailed removing the outside skin and replacing removing the old floor and replacing.

Now none of these were done in a garage and only the slide repair was done at my house. All else has been done on the road.

So you too can do this stuff. HOnestly...give it a try
52 REPLIES 52

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW , theoldwizard1 knew how to spell Ouija Board , I would have had to call my grandma !

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a labor of love - how about some pics?
Kevin

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
Consider this post a "Call to Arms" so to speak to encourage anyone to undertake their own RV repairs, modifications and maintenance. I read so many posts here asking if this or that can be taken on by the owner. In most cases it can be with no problem.

What bothers me most is some kind of electrical problem where the OP simply says "XYZ does not work". There is no way to diagnosis that except use a Ouija Board, which is not very accurate.

Anyone traveling in an RV should have a regular and a Phillips screwdriver, a decent pair of pliers, a pair of locking pliers, an inexpensive multimeter and a 12V incandescent test light. That is the BARE MINIMUM ! Even if you do not feel comfortable using them, you can learn a lot on YouTube or right here !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
There is a propane system for the stove, Furnace and the water heater (most units)

The more I think about it, the more I realize the need for propane is fading. All 3 of those items listed can be electric and if you seldom boondock/dry camp the additional complexity and weight of propane might not be worth it.

Personally, give me room for four 6V golf carts batteries, a good inverter/charge/transfer switch, a 2000W inverter generator and maybe some solar and I would be good ! About the only thing you could not do without shore power or running the generator is take a hot shower. If I was traveling, I would also buy a DC-DC charger.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geeze, makes me tired just reading about it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Now go buy a motorhome and you can learn a whole new set of skills. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep I to could do all that stuff twenty years ago, now its hard to get out of a chair ,BUT I still tinker with the stuff just alot slower.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sure.....I have google and youtube.
And, I slept in a Holiday Inn last night....:B
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro