cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

good way to carry gas for portable gen ?

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
If I carry a small Honda gen do I carry a gas can or someone was saying cut the Onan gen fuel line and put in a T and a hose ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
24 REPLIES 24

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
End the confusion by posting RV Brand/Model/Year/Type etc in a 'signature line' ...somewhere so folks have a clue what RV you are asking questions about

That's a good point. But, some only read the OP and respond without reading the other posts. So they don't know the whole story.

If the OP had a signature line it would show up with his original post just like signature line shows below this post.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
End the confusion by posting RV Brand/Model/Year/Type etc in a 'signature line' ...somewhere so folks have a clue what RV you are asking questions about

That's a good point. But, some only read the OP and respond without reading the other posts. So they don't know the whole story.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Be safe. Have an auxillary fuel tank with a gas hose attached and fit into the bed of your truck.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not so sure that you even need a generator if you rig has an on board genny. Do you plann on doing extensive boon docking? Or are you just thinking in case of the on board generator failing? Are you worried that the on board genny will use too much fuel?

Just to answer your question, well to tell you what I do really, I have a 2 gallon saftey can that I carry in the basement compartment with the genny with a full tank of fues.

Is it safe? As safe as any suggestion you have received so far.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
If I carry a small Honda gen do I carry a gas can or someone was saying cut the Onan gen fuel line and put in a T and a hose ??

IF you are familiar with small gas engines and can locate the fuel pump and there is a reasonable enough hose after the fuel pump to splice in the tee, go for it. The outlet of the tee must have a good brass shutoff.

Parts required :
โ€ข Brass or fuel compatible tee
โ€ข Brass shutoff
โ€ข 6 hose clamps
โ€ข Fuel hose (you can you clear vinyl hose, AFTER the shutoff

I am not a fan of worm gear clamps on small hoses. Too easy to over tighten. I bought and assortment of spring clamps and use those.

All small gasoline engine are different, but older lawnmower style engines typically use 1/4" ID hose, but not what you buy at an auto parts store. Auto fuel hose is usually 1/2" OD. Small engine fuel hose is usually 7/16". Many small engines now use metric size fuel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
I made a wooden box that fits the gas can with a piece of rubber on the bottom. I have that in the pick up bed. I have seen some people with a welded bracket on the tongue where they keep a 5 gallon can.

This is a motorhome

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
I made a wooden box that fits the gas can with a piece of rubber on the bottom. I have that in the pick up bed. I have seen some people with a welded bracket on the tongue where they keep a 5 gallon can.

This is a motorhome
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 5gal Jerry can all the time.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not be cutting into any lines. The Onan genset line requires a good pump like on the unit to suck the fuel from the main tank.
I carry the portable gensets and fuel on a cargo carrier in the 2 inch receiver.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker