cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great RV Escapes - Scam ?

RetiredHoser
Explorer
Explorer
I keep getting messages from Great RV Escapes and for $50 they will send you a few guides and a discount coupon for 50% off campground costs.
Is this legit or is it a scam. Anybody heard of these people ?Thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction.
Adapt and Overcome
12 REPLIES 12

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
How did this become a PA discussion? The OP was asking about Great RV Escapes! :?

Cuz its RV.NET :B
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
How did this become a PA discussion? The OP was asking about Great RV Escapes! :?

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
If any offer for anything sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
-50% off is a draw that the PAs need, since most are well off the beaten path. I've found that RV parks that can stay booked enough to not need special discounted rates, do quite well without it.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I would not take the chance. We have been members of Passport AMerica for many years now, and have been very happy with it. It is definitely a scam. While some may not have been happy, we have had VERY few disappointments in the campgrounds. We rarely stay in one campground while on the road for more than a few nights, and the Passport America campgrounds have been more than adequate for that.

You definitely have to read the directory carefully, because there are limits as to when the discounts apply. Obviously some don't apply in their busy seasons, but that is to be expected. We have generally used their campsites for 15 to 20 days/year, which means the membership costs us roughly $2.00/night. That seems like a good deal to us, and they now have over 1900 paricipating campgrounds in north America.

Ed Headington

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Send me half of that fee and I'll tell you where you should go camping ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Guess it depends on the kinds of places you pick to stay... we've stayed in an excellent Passport America park in high demand prime location, peak season, loved it and returned twice for longer stays. Sites almost all full and place adds more amenities each year. One night's stay pays for renewing the annual dues. And they do ask to see your current PA card, by the way.

No personal knowledge of "Great RV Escapes."

My edit: I posted this response in answer to different person just before me who trashed all Passport America campgrounds as dumps that never even looked at your card (nothing to do with "Great RV Escapes.") But his post has mysteriously disappeared, apparently edited out yesterday by the MOD.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If any offer for anything sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

RetiredHoser
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice.I think I will pass on this.Not sure how I ended up in a technical support forum.
Adapt and Overcome

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
The directory part is legit. The 50% off is legit, if you read the microscopic fine print. The fact is that about 99.9% of the parks in the directory will NOT honor the 50% off coupon. I am sure there are some that will, probably the same parks that honor 50% off for Passport America and the like. Never seen the directory, so I couldn't tell you how well it is put together, but over the years I have gotten a few calls about the 50% coupon and the people saying my parks were in the book. Told the customer the coupon wouldn't be honored. Most people accepted that and admitted they probably had been scammed. A few got real upset, ranted, raved, and called me all kinds of names. Those I tell to save their anger for the book publisher because I had nothing to do with it.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a simple google search and found THIS.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
So you want to be steered in the right direction?

I would not do it.......how's that?