cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ham Radio enthusiasts

jrwhited
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any other Ham radio operators/ RV enthusiasts out there? I imagine there is. If so please reply with your call sign and location. If there is enough of us, maybe wecould get our own forum. Also share some things about your mobile setup. Thanks, Jim W, K3JRW
66 REPLIES 66

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Dyngbld wrote:
I like the one W3TLN has on his coach. Looks like it is a mast for 2m.

I am working on a HF vertical for mount on a coach, the ground plane is the issue for a good vertical. I am thinking a multi band dipole can be built and set up nicely just about anyplace, but height would be the issue on that one. Maybe I can put a crank-up 6 element yagi on the roof. (yeah the wife would go for that)

My problem is I am picky about asthetics. I don't want it to look like I made it in my garage. Even if I made it my garage.

I'm using a FlagPole Buddy RV mount {$53) with a 10' 1.5" PVC pipe. The antenna is a two piece 16' Shakespeare 11m fiberglass vertical boat antenna. It loads fine for 10m and 6m with my LDG IT100 tuner. I can setup and remove this setup in 30 seconds from the ground. I purchased the 2" FlagPole mount from Cheap Ham.

Note: The 2" mount takes 1.5" PVC.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Kay KE4TCH and Dave N4XYZ (not a vanity call, assigned by FCC). 2M in the truck. ICOM 706 when we stay for a while using a fiberglass push up pole on the ladder holds a 33 ft #14 wire and an ICOM AH-4 tuner at the base. Frame is ground and sometimes a couple of 30' wires out the back. 2M Jpole on top of the ladder. See page 20 of this month's QST.

2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
NQ3RP... operate QRP (K2) and 2M. But not set up this winter due to medical issues. But have carried a screwdriver antenna that attaches to our 5th wheel and a 2M whip while traveling.

(News as of May 5) Bought a Flex Radio 1500, another QRP radio but this one software defined radio. What a sweet receiver! Now to do digital QRP.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a ham since 1958. I operate HF on all bands using a screwdriver antenna on my ladder. Operation on 2 and 440 is done with
a glass mount antenna. I also carry a Hustler 5BTV 5 band trap vertical
for use during extended stays. Just returned from 3 days of camping on site at the Orlando FL HamCation.

Great Hamfest !!!!!!!!!!
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jrwhited wrote:
What are y'all using for antennas? I'm looking for ideas possibly a ladder mount that is extremely easy to set up but works on 80m to 10m. any ideaas or pics? Thanks K3JRW

i'm using a Yaesu ATAS 100 screwdriver (40m up thru 430mhz) mounted on the rear ladder of the MH but using it just for HF. i have an older auto-tune device interfacing the antenna with the ICOM 706. for V/UHF i use a larsen dual-band mounted to the side of the MH above the driver's side window and grounded to the frame of the MH.

both antennas perform about as well as any mobile antenna would on a fiberglass vehicle.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

NullSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
KH6SU since about 1980. WB5LAS prior to that.
Bruce
2002 Keystone Bobcat
99 F150
Honda 3000is

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
jrwhited wrote:
What are y'all using for antennas? I'm looking for ideas possibly a ladder mount that is extremely easy to set up but works on 80m to 10m. any ideas or pics? Thanks K3JRW

Here is the antenna farm installed on one of my old trailers.

The HF antenna is 32 feet (magic number) of #10 stranded insulated wire held aloft by a telescoping fiberglass pole.

The two Meter antenna is a two element co-linear J-Pole.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
WA7MXP
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
My dh is a ham and very active. He runs several nets and has the tc and truck set up for multiple rigs. The antenna farm is on the truck. I can't give you specifics, but the radios are always with us ๐Ÿ˜›

WB6N. Donnelly,Idaho
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
KJ7POE (vanity call)
Yaesu all band/all mode in the house and Jeep, Yaesu 2 meter in the motorhome.
I carry an Arrow dual band J-pole in the coach, which I mount on military antenna mast sections(6 aluminum ones, @44 inches each), along with a 40 meter dipole made from poly electric fence "wire". I have a military RC-292 antenna, which can be set up for 28-76 MHz, which I can put on a harbor Freight aluminum flag pole attached to the hitch on the coach. That only gets it 20 feet off the ground, but it works. I usually assemble it for 10 meters.
I monitor 146.520 when on the road, and the 145.410 or 147.360 repeaters here at home. They require 100 Hz tone for access, and are linked together for wide area coverage.
When in the Billings area, check in on the morning 2 meter net at 0800 weekdays, or the Tuesday Evening 2 meter net at 1900 on the above repeaters, or the Wednesday Tech Net at 2000 on the 147.000 repeater (100 Hz tone), or on the Friday night 10 meter net on 28.400 MHz USB at 1900.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Yak
Explorer
Explorer
N3MQM, southeast PA

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every year during Quartsite, there is a group of hams that park just off State Route 95, about 5 miles south of I-10 on the west side of the state road.

Gordon west is among them.. I've been there, There are several "How many hamn's" threads in the assorted forums.

I usually park a couple miles north of Gordon though.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
I like the one W3TLN has on his coach. Looks like it is a mast for 2m.

I am working on a HF vertical for mount on a coach, the ground plane is the issue for a good vertical. I am thinking a multi band dipole can be built and set up nicely just about anyplace, but height would be the issue on that one. Maybe I can put a crank-up 6 element yagi on the roof. (yeah the wife would go for that)

My problem is I am picky about asthetics. I don't want it to look like I made it in my garage. Even if I made it my garage.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

jrwhited
Explorer
Explorer
What are y'all using for antennas? I'm looking for ideas possibly a ladder mount that is extremely easy to set up but works on 80m to 10m. any ideaas or pics? Thanks K3JRW

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As per sig, VP9KL. Over 30 years. Only active on 2M, 146.52 when on the move. Never really stay anywhere long enough to make setting up HF worthwhile.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995