cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hand-powered chainsaw -- for emergency use

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we boondock, we sometimes come upon fallen logs blocking the forest roads (especially in the wake of the bark beetle epidemic), and I usually use a bow saw to cut them (if we can't just move them out of the way by hand). This only comes up once a year or so -- if it were every time, I would bring a chainsaw!

But a chainsaw is bulky and messy -- I do not have unlimited room in the cargo bed of my truck.

So I am going to give this project a try -- I have several old saw chains sitting around, ones that do not fit my current chainsaw. This video shows how to attach handles to a chain and then use it manually to cut wood.

Not sure it is much better than a bow saw, but it is certainly easier to store and carry! Plus it gives me something to do while I am busy practicing my "anti-social distancing." ๐Ÿ˜‰

Video
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
56 REPLIES 56

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
If only they made folding bow saws...
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Not too bad. Of course it only cuts in one direction so you'll need double the strokes. Size and cost are also a big plus, but I've been carrying a saw like the first listed here for a number of years. 2 man crosscut. Easy to use by one or two people, very easy to sharpen and cuts very fast.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A good professional grade cordless "Sawzall" would be a great idea. Have you looked at cordless battery powered electric chainsaws? As a country boy/ farm kid the idea of a battery powered chain saw seemed ridiculous but they are actually for real now with the incredible batteries that cordless tools use.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
Interesting. And doesn't require much space.

Don't have that problem but I already carry a battery operated drill. I think I would just throw my battery operated saws all in the tool box, which uses the same battery.
This is what I would do as well. I take a drill and air compressor that both use the same battery, adding a saw would not take up much room.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems like a lot of trouble for something that has been for sale for some time.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have one with long ropes for cutting limbs that even a pole pruner wonโ€™t reach. It works OK once you toss the bean bag tied to one rope in the desired location. I sure wouldnโ€™t want to cut a load of firewood with it.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. And doesn't require much space.

Don't have that problem but I already carry a battery operated drill. I think I would just throw my battery operated saws all in the tool box, which uses the same battery.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Fun fact: the amount of elbow grease needed to make a saw cut is proportional to the width of the kerf.

This suggests to me that a bow saw with a suitably aggressive blade will always be easier to use than anything short of a chain saw motor using a chain.

Please do feel free to prove me wrong via actual experience.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an interesting idea. I'd be cautious of untangling the chain if it's nice and sharp.

From the video, I'm pretty sure my Corona RazorTooth pruning saw cuts more quickly and easily than this. Maybe a well-sharpened chain would do better than the one shown, too; there's no way for me to tell that. The RazorTooth saw is definitely quicker and easier than any bowsaw I've used, almost as good as a well-sharpened pulpwood saw or two-man crosscut saw (and much more portable and maneuverable).

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newer trucks and SUVs have 110 volts plugs for low powered stuff including electric chain saws. My 2015 Tahoe was limited to 300 watts, the 2020 Silverado has 400 available.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
campigloo, thanks for the heads up -- I modified the link. Sorry for the glitch.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds interesting but all I get from the link is gmail wanting me to sign in.