cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

lower7
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I almost exclusivey dry camp/boondock in some fairly primitive areas. Of the camps that have fire rings, many are unuseable. Or at the ones without, we use this little dandy:

http://www.riverconnection.com/cambridge-fire-pan.html

At dinner, add some charcoal and set the grill at the lowest point and have a BBQ. After dinner, remove the grill and start a fire. I have used these for years while running rivers and have never melted one down. In the morning start a small fire and set the grill in the high position to keep a pot of coffee warm. When its all folded up, there is just enough room for a pair of welding gloves and fire tongs. add a 4ft cam strap around the outside to hold it all together.

When its time to leave, dump the ashes in a 20mm rocket box, add a little water for anything thats still hot and throw it in the back of the truck or TH. Low impact camping at its finest.

There are a few companys that make them but the design is the same. I got mine at an Army/Navy store. check any whitewater outfitter store as most rivers these days require them.

John Hicks
2004 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 Dodge 2500 QC SB CTD

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
just a bump
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

mincey
Explorer
Explorer
We have a swim noodle that we made a slit in lengthwise to the center hole, and cut the lengths needed to "rim" our window so we don't bump our heads on the window when it is open.

I also no longer scuba dive, but still have the expensive weights I had bought which are like mesh "bags" and filled with leadshot. I have a bunch of the 5 pound weights. I found a use for them when camping! When we set up out potty tent shelter, I put the weights all aound the bottom so the shelter doesn't blow away in the wind!!

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
Mackenzie Queen of Clubs, CGC
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm enjoying this thread and getting ideas. Just bumping.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
This is the best reason why the terriosts will never win..... ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim

PS: Great idea!!
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Jim_Scoggins
Explorer
Explorer
A technological marvel:

Regards,
Jim Scoggins
1995 Prevost Liberty

mgb74gt
Explorer
Explorer
Two things, one cheep, one not. The best thing I have bought in years was a "Pressure Pro" tire monitoring system. $400 for a tandem axle trailer but well worth it in preventing damage to the tires and unit. Most important is the peace of mind in knowing each tire's exact pressure at any time. For a simple campfire I go to the local lumber store and buy some broken or twisted 2x4's. Cut them in about 10" sections. Throw them wherever they will fit. When the time comes for a fire, use your hatchet to split each one into 4-6 pieces. They burn great, cause NO MESS inside your trailer, and give those rejected timbers a purpose in life.
gig'em Aggies
Chuck and Jan
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2007 Denali (380hp 417 lb-ft) 6 spd
1974 MGB-GT
1975 MGB Roadster

5talents
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We considered the fabric type hanging shelf, but they are typically only 12" deep and our wardrobe is 31" deep. I don't want to waste that other area. The Elfa system looks good, but it seems to have a fixed width and it is also only 12" deep. My husband is thinking about using the ClosetMaid shelving that is 12" deep (and can be cut to any length) and turning it 90 degrees so we can get a shelf to run the full 31". I don't know how this will work with the shelf hangers since the walls are hollow. When we figure it out, we'll let you know.

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife washes a few clothes in the Motorhome washer she likes to hang them out rather than use the dryer. We bought one of the foldable portable clothes dryers. It was always in the way, couldn't find a good place to store it when traveling.
I went to Lowes and got a 1 X 2 x 6' long piece of Oak. I wanted something strong. I cut a notch in the end on the top to let our ladder support fit in, the for the support on the other side a cut a notch to fit down over the support. This way the one on the top keeps the board from falling down when she hangs clothes on it. The I cut notched about 3" apart big enough for plastic hangers to fit in. She hangs our shirts and pants on plastic hangers the hangs that on the board to dry. When dry she just brings the in and hangs them in the closet.

Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
5talents wrote:
What about shelving ideas? I want to add shelves to our wardrobes without adding a lot of weight. Has anyone used the ClosetMaid stuff? The side walls of our wardrobes are hollow. Did anyone hang them on these?

I once saw in a MH we were checking out prior to purchasing, a plastic affiar that hung from the closet rod. The top looked like two hangers that had cubes suspended under them. Not sure where they were purchased, or any more info than what I stated here, but it could be an option. good luck
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
As far as adding shelves to your RV I didn't have a pantry but a large closet in the older rv we bought. I bought an Elfa system from "The Container Store" to use but any home store has this type system. My DH had to cut it down to fit the area but it gave me a pantry. This consist of a strip you hang from up near the ceiling or in my case under the shelve in the closet. Then standards hang from the strip. You can add regular shelves or a type of shelve that has a lip on it. You can buy an end pieces to keep stuff from falling out. I bought 2 of the basket type shelves and DH cut them in half to fit in only half of the closet. I now have four basket shelves for my pantry. It's right over the axle so weight isn't an issue. Sounds a lot more complicated than it was. Doing it this way we only had to put three molly's in the wall for the upper strip. The rest are free hanging.

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
5talents wrote:
What about shelving ideas? I want to add shelves to our wardrobes without adding a lot of weight. Has anyone used the ClosetMaid stuff? The side walls of our wardrobes are hollow. Did anyone hang them on these?

How about something like this?

shoe and sweater storage

I have one of the shoe storage things and some Sterilite drawers that are stacked in one side of the wardrobe. I have shoes, caps, and a few other things stored in the shoe holder. An empty baby wipe box fits in a slot nicely, and can hold small things. Those drawers are great too.
Kathy :B

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I installed four blue LED lights on the corners of my steps. They can be left on all night even boondocking and draw virtually no current. Makes the steps visible in the dark. You can find them in places like Checker, AutoZone, Walmart etc in the automotive dressup departments.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

5talents
Explorer
Explorer

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy do I like the solar light under the steps idea. Going to get one of them just for that reason!