cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks! I currently use a sheet of metal to work on (it keeps coals off surfaces) but it is really low. Is the fire pan really low? Can I use it on a wooden picnic table or fire grate?

wgtex
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a farmer friend and got 2 discs(bout 24" diameter, I guess). I welded 1-1/4 inch threaded collars or connecters on the bottom of each. Bought a 36"X 1&1/4" threaded nipple(piece of pipe). I screw the discs on the nipple and use it for my Dutch oven cooking table. It breaks down easily for packing.
36" makes the right height for me. Oh, I stuffed some tin foil in the hole of one of the discs so the coals would not fall down the pipe.
Y'all have fun now!!

Wendell

lower7
Explorer
Explorer
rdean wrote:
welsteach wrote:
Has anyone ever used the dutch oven table? Do you find it to be heavy or difficult to store? We are already having trouble with outside storage.

I have used them and they work great. Prefer the fire pan though because it is more versatile and compact for travel.

I couldnt agree more. When the firepan is performing other duties, we use the aluminum lid. years of use have given it a little curl but one you strap it back on the top of the pan, it flattens right out.

John Hicks
2004 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 Dodge 2500 QC SB CTD

rdean
Explorer
Explorer
welsteach wrote:
Has anyone ever used the dutch oven table? Do you find it to be heavy or difficult to store? We are already having trouble with outside storage.

I have used them and they work great. Prefer the fire pan though because it is more versatile and compact for travel.

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer

eribac
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas on the charcoal storage!

Instead of using lighter fluid you can get yourself a chimney starter pretty cheaply (http://www.amazon.com/Weber-87886-Chimney-Starter/dp/B00004U9VV). I find that they work great, and you don't get any funny tastes or smell from using lighter fluid.
2000 Sunnybrook 26DB
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Dad, Mom, 5 kids and 1 dog

lower7
Explorer
Explorer
We use the same idea as above except with a 5gal paint bucket and one of these on the top.

http://tinyurl.com/28akoq

The outside ring snaps on permanently and the inner lid screws on and off and has a gasket for water tight storage. will hold 18lbs of charcoal, or less if you include your lighter fluid. Yet another item that we took from our river running arsenal.

Now that I think about it, we use alot of our river stuff with our trailer. Dont get me started.

John Hicks
2004 Desert Fox 17VS
2005 Dodge 2500 QC SB CTD

rdean
Explorer
Explorer
Charcoal storage - small galvanized trash can with lid. Keeps it from getting wet especially from those unexpected storms. Easy to carry. I pour a bit in then set my starter can in and fill the rest of the way up. Usually have enough room for the lighter fluid and tongs. Rides in the shower during travel most times.

rdean
Explorer
Explorer
Spatter shield- Putting a new gasket on the dishwasher at home required dismantling the door. I had forgotten all about the extra colored skins that have been hiding in there. Took the black one (matches the stove) and glued it to the wall behind the stove. Fits real nice between the counter and the exhaust fan. Cost = zero.

rdean
Explorer
Explorer
lower7 wrote:
The wife and I almost exclusivey dry camp/boondock in some fairly primitive areas. Of the camps that have fire rings, many are unuseable. Or at the ones without, we use this little dandy:

http://www.riverconnection.com/cambridge-fire-pan.html

John Hicks

Got one for Father's day. DW bought it at Cee Dub's site. With more and more fire limitations I can see where these might be required for more than river runners. Works great for Leave No Trace.

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
MacRoadie wrote:
rocknrollpro wrote:
ralexis wrote:
Hey rocknrollpro

Did y'all really get 18 drops of rain or are you just bragging.

Tonopah got two!

(bump)

Ok I exaggerated a bit, but I got a good smear on the windshield once I jumped to turn the wipers on!

I got a smear on the windshield while driving through Phoenix/Tempe during spring training. Turned out it was bug juice...

Save it, we bottle it as an energy drink!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

MacRoadie
Explorer
Explorer
rocknrollpro wrote:
ralexis wrote:
Hey rocknrollpro

Did y'all really get 18 drops of rain or are you just bragging.

Tonopah got two!

(bump)

Ok I exaggerated a bit, but I got a good smear on the windshield once I jumped to turn the wipers on!

I got a smear on the windshield while driving through Phoenix/Tempe during spring training. Turned out it was bug juice...
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LT Crew, 6.0 Vortec, 4.10
2011 Keystone Cougar 26BHSWE

knesdad
Explorer
Explorer
WELUVCMPNG wrote:
My favorite gizmo my DH added is the plexiglass on the sceen door.

I did the same thing, but only on the lower half, to keep the kids from pushing on the screen. It's secured on all 4 sides by Velcro.

I carry a foam can cooler between the propane tanks. When I unhook, I turn on the propane (when necessary) and put the can cooler on the hitch ball. Then when we leave the can cooler reminds me to check the propane to make sure it's shut off.

We have one of the camp grills where you drive a steel rod into the ground and an adjustable arm (that holds the grill) slides up and down on it. I put a piece of PVC on the front of the trailer under the frame to store these "greasy" parts, along with a small set of wood tongs. The grill itself gets stored in an old seed bag.
Dave & Sue
Kiley & Emily
Izzie (Beagle/Bichon/Mini Poodle)
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
2012 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL -- Dutchmen Owners

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
John,

That is really nice, I have never seen one...

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Bump time!