cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

datchley
Explorer
Explorer
We use the suction cup hooks for bathrooms and showers on the outside of the Motorhome for hanging wetsuits and towels.

jiga20001
Explorer
Explorer
I no longer have a dog but for those of you that travel with dogs.
I used to keep one of those plastic 1-2 gallon gas tanks in my truck filled with fresh water for the dogs on long trips.
Works great.
Just make sure you label it in marker saying k9 or something.
That way you wont put gas in your dog or water in your mower!
97 Sandpiper, 14' slide
MY MARTIN TRUEX FORUM

jiga20001
Explorer
Explorer
Cinderella wrote:
Enjoyed reading everyone's tips. Does anyone know how to keep a runner rug which I've put down on the carpet in our fiver from creeping up. Not sure how to keep it laying flat.

I have vents for heat and ac running down my hallway.
So I unscrewed the vent covers, laid down my carpet runner where I wanted it, Cut out holes in the runner where the vents are, And then I screwed the vent covers back in place.
It will never move!

I use a small shower rod in the back of my shower to hang wet things.
97 Sandpiper, 14' slide
MY MARTIN TRUEX FORUM

everymilesamemo
Explorer
Explorer

In our outdoor storage locker, we had a 110 and a 12 volt outlet installed so we can use appliances on that side.

Pat
www.everymilesamemory.com
Every Miles A Memory

Photo's of our Travels
When we realize our insignificance in this world,
it some how relieves the pressures from society to succeed
- Cindy Bonish

rv-time
Explorer
Explorer
Ooopp
Sorry.
Wrong thread.
Jim & Carol's Adventures

"The Journey is the Reward"
Jim & Carol
2003 Winnebago Brave 32V

whanner
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my solution for a satellite stand.
06' Ford F-350 Power Stroke 6.0L
07' Forest River Sierra 375 QBQ
Wife and 2 Kids

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find the post but I'm sure I saw it here and want to thank the author.

I cut the tapered part of a 12oz water bottle off and stuffed it full of plastic grocery bags. Holds 12-16 bags if you really push. Takes up almost no space under the sink and gives us plenty of bags for a long camping trip.

I think the original idea was to cut off both ends, not sure why. I would think you would not get as many bags stuffed in that way.

Jim...

everymilesamemo
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a set of scissor jacks in front of our axles for more support. Our 25' travel trailer just didnt seem to feel stable enough when camped.

Now with these, the camper feels very stable and it took away all wobble while camping.

Pat
www.everymilesamemory.com
Every Miles A Memory

Photo's of our Travels
When we realize our insignificance in this world,
it some how relieves the pressures from society to succeed
- Cindy Bonish

mferris72
Explorer
Explorer
I dry camp often in the cold weather and use a MR. Heater. I cut into the gas line inder the stove and installed a "T" fitting with a hose on it to use the Coach LP instead of the small 1 lb bottles.
Mike Ferris

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
At the garden center, I got a stick of chalk permeated with pyrethrins, which are an insecticide with a very low toxicity for people. I rub it along anything that's in contact with the ground -- hoses, electric cord, etc. -- a few inches before it enters the RV. No bug problems at all.
Joanne

hstew
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I noticed, after wakening, and my eyes were focused a steady stream of tiny black things coming from under the shower, they wrapped around the corner and encircled my dog's dish. I rushed out side to the rear of my RV and yup the little critters were coming up the water hose and into a little opening.

Since I have a air bed it was easy to remove the bed and lift the cover and peer inside. Thousands of ants to deal with, did not have any bug spray, the only thing I had was window cleaner with ammonia. Well I said to myself "it can't hurt", low and behold it killed the black army on contact. Within a day they were all gone.

So if you need an alternative to poison for ants try window cleaner.

Hank
2007 Four Winds 5000 26 ft (Chevy Chassis)

Hank
Buster (Pug)

"I give thanks for all the blessings I have received."

JaySki
Explorer
Explorer
BTT

ski2moro
Explorer
Explorer
Swimmies, the plastic, inflatable arm bands that you put on non-swimmer childrenโ€™s upper arms are great. They usually have 2 chambers and valves like you find on a swimming pool air mattress. Un-inflated, they store flat in nooks and crannies.

I use them for my breakables. I insert the breakable object in the swimmie. I inflate the swimmie by mouth. If the object is too long for the swimmie, I use 2.

For example: Glass wine bottles. Put one on the neck and one on the bottom half. Inflate. Let the swimmie extend beyond the bottom about an inch. The top one protects the neck of the bottle. Nothing rattles or breaks on a cushion of air.

That glass knickknack you want to ship to your Aunt? Put it in a swimmie, inflate, put it in the box, and ship it. Virtually no additional weight for shipping.

Pack a bunch in a suitcase when you are not in the RV. Not even the baggage handlers at JFK can break something if you put it in a swimmie and then inflate it around the object.

At this time of year, swimmies are usually half price (or less) in the North. You can find them in drug stores that have seasonal merchandise, discount stores, etc.

Thanks for all the other tips.

murph164
Explorer
Explorer
Two things I have done to make life easier.

I have a deep cycle battery for my golf caddy. I put together a 12 volt vehicle outlet with alligator clips to clip onto the terminals. I now have a portable power supply for using my air pump to top up tire pressure etc.

I also purchased a set of coupling assistant rods. These are bright yellow rods with red tips. they have magnets on the bottom. You put one on your receiver hitch of the Trailer and one on the ball of your TV. You then can hitch yourself without any help by backing up while lining up the two rods until the one on your TV hitch falls off. That means you are under the receiver. Works every time and the best $20.00 I ever spent.
Jerry and Kathy
2002 Dodge 2500 V10
2006 Forest River Sierra 34 ft 5th Wheel
No dogs, No cats, No children - Ahhh FREEDOM

rpaske
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got around to installing backup cams on TV as well as TT. Both work like a charm, after a little Modifications. Pics here. http://atpic.com/3088
2001 GMC Duramax/Allison
2001 27.5 Terry Travel Trailer
Home on the Web
---------------------------------------------------
One window. Wood Sides. No kitchen. No Slides. Towable(?)
My Pics.