cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
toprudder wrote:
One thing I found that really helps the fridge is to install a fan INSIDE. The small amount of air movement really cools things down much quicker.

Fridge Fan

I bought two, one for the fridge and one for the freezer. Install the fridge fan near the cooling fins, where the thermocouple is mounted.

Concur with that idea. That's why I wired a computer (battery UPS actually) cooling fan to the hot side of the interior light. Don't need to replace batteries that way and as we were trashing the Control unit at work anyhow... it was free.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I found that really helps the fridge is to install a fan INSIDE. The small amount of air movement really cools things down much quicker.

Fridge Fan

I bought two, one for the fridge and one for the freezer. Install the fridge fan near the cooling fins, where the thermocouple is mounted.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

knock
Explorer
Explorer
I like my fridge to be cold so food will not spoil. But it gets very hot around here, so it can be a battle, especially if I can't run the AC all the time. I bought a solar powered fan-forced fridge roof vent and I do the following:

Pre-cool or pre-freeze everything before putting it into the RV's fridge, which I also pre-cool before stocking. Any empty space in the fridge gets packed with either pre-cooled or frozen stuff, even if it is just water bottles. I put milk in the back of the fridge and preferably in an insulated bottle. This keeps the fridge from having to work to get the heat out of food stocked into it and recovery is much quicker during hot months if air space in the fridge is filled with cold items.

And make sure your fridge light is going out when the door is closing. I removed a shelf in the door, not realizing that the shelf was necessary to press the button that turns off the light. I am replacing my light with an LED that doesn't produce as much heat.

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
In addition of making a secure copy of your phone numbers and addresses, I recommend making a copy of all your credit card numbers and customer service numbers. I did this several months ago and then promptly lost my wallet. Within an hour I was able to cancel all the cards (including my library card and bus pass) and prevent any problems. I also include on my person at all times while we are on the road, the names and contact numbers of our children, our passport numbers and a couple of US embassy numbers, health insurance numbers and contact info, vehicle insurance numbers and contact info. It is all printed on one half sheet of paper and lessens the uncertainties of travel - especially out of the country.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just 'Subscribe' to it and you will not need to 'bump' it.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
Bump. I don't want to lose this "handy" post.
2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
teebee1 wrote:
Sheets of newspaper are good for cleaning windows. The ink does get on your hands when the paper gets wet but washes off easily. I use Glass Plus cleaner.

Rather than commercial glass cleaner I prefer a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. Environmentally friendly, nontoxic, and does a great job.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
Computer crashes are the reason to have a backup if you use your computer other than to dink around. There are also ways to sync a lot of phones with your computer. I can enter information on either my computer (Mac) or my cell phone (Palm) and have the information on both.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Now that is cool.I can store the "honey do list" on the computer. Guess what Honey,the computer crashed,your list is gone.I'm going fishing!:B
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
Tododoodle.com

Many of us keep to do lists, or "honey do" lists. The problem I have is that I either can't find the list, or it isn't where I need it when I need it.

There's a free solution, stupid name, excellent product.
Toodledo

It allows you to set up lists on your PC, but also works on many phones and most phones that have internet access.

The lists can be set up by priority, by date, and by topic. For example, I have 3:
Coach
Home
Misc

There are many ways to search and sort. I like it when I'm out and I remember something...make a quick note on the phone, it sync's up instantly with the web/pc version and I now have it where I can find it.
It can also store files and notes.

Have found it to be extremely useful when planning a trip.

Enjoy

Paul
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

teebee1
Explorer
Explorer
Sheets of newspaper are good for cleaning windows. The ink does get on your hands when the paper gets wet but washes off easily. I use Glass Plus cleaner.
teebee1
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo, convertible
retired and irresponsible

CactusJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon's Backup Assistant will automatically back up your cell phone's address book to a secure website. You can then edit or print your address book online. The changes you make online are sent to your phone to keep the two in sync. This service is free for all Verizon wireless customers.
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5er
2012 F250 Lariat SuperCab, 6.7L PSD
PullRight SuperGlide

RoadWarriors2
Explorer
Explorer
I have found out that in our case, Verizon, can copy your phone list to a new phone. Free for VIP members, and a small charge to others.
Tony & Maria :B

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH
Cat C7
Freightliner
Allison 3000
Jeep Liberty

Viet Nam Vet 66-67, 173rd Assault Helicopter Crew Chief - "Robin Hoods"

Travel Blog: www.roadwarriors2.blogspot.com

Another day, another 100,000 brain cells gone........

MrsJWells
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! 163 pages and still going strong! I LOVE this thread! Thank you to all who have shared your wonderful ideas. We just bought an RV and needed so many of these ideas.

Here is one I will share.
Many of us have all our phone numbers stored in our cell phones. It would be handy to keep a list of all those important numbers on paper, either a printed sheet (laminated?) or in a little address book. Remember to add the numbers of your spouse and family, neighbors, work, doctors, school, etc. You never know when you may loose your phone, or it just quits working. I know with the cell phone age I no longer remember anybodys number.

Happy camping and thanks a ton to all! Your ideas are sure to help all of us newbies in more ways than we can even imagine!

Joann
Our Memory Maker!

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
We just added a rack and Molle bag to the back door of our Toad.
Springtail

It is a great way to store things in an unused part of you toad and is tremendously useful for offroading.

The bags are of extremely high quality and are reasonably priced, considering how well they are made.

You'll be surprised by how useful it is.

Paul
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad