cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Is this thread still "alive" ??

See there are newer "versions" - which is OK, but sure don't want to lose this valuable source of info !!

:W

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Time for another bump.

Measured the cabinet door thickness so I'd know what size screw to use mounting the framed pics DW has to have. Bumping around in the trailer I can't just hang them on a nail. If she can't be with the Gkids she can at least see what they look like.

Slinky storage.
What works for us: large covered plastic tub. Keeps all those nasty germ bugs away from everything else. Stows in tunnel right above the drain. Holds everything-slinky: +50' assorted hoses with end caps, connectors, elbows, spare gaskets, sewie-only rinse hose. On arrival home everything gets a good rinse, overnight dry, then re-stow.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOW, I guess you are, does it really matter, as long as they work, unless you're going to replace one, or all of the doors?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Bump

Measurements - Don't bother telling me, I'm even more OCD than you imagine.

Frustrated when things we got sometimes didn't fit the way we hoped/expected, we recorded the measurements of everything in the trailer and put it in The Binder. And I do mean Everything!
One example, each cabinet door overall width and height as well as width and height of the recessed panel within the door, and their relative thicknesses.

Gadget_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
You won't want to do this when it is hot out, but a convection microwave works the same as the air fryers, and it is less to carry along. My wife wanted one, and I told her she already had one in the convection oven. She tried it, and it works awesome.

Great! So I bought one for nothing? :S
My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...

2005 Providence 39J
2007 Tacoma Double Cab Dingy
Thousand Trails, Coast to Coast, RV Golf Club and Elks Members

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't want to do this when it is hot out, but a convection microwave works the same as the air fryers, and it is less to carry along. My wife wanted one, and I told her she already had one in the convection oven. She tried it, and it works awesome.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Just took me two weeks of reading this entire thread, a few hours a day....

The oil-less "air fryers" work great at cooking all sorts of things. They can be used outdoors, so won't heat up the RV. They heat up nearly instantly, so they take less time to cook than conventional methods. And they won't use up any propane. Food results are close to that of an actual fryer, but without the grease, or cleanup. Can cook anything that will fit in them. French fries are now super easy, and healthier. The only downside is they are a little on the large side.
2018 GMC Denali Dually w/ tow package
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Just took me two weeks of reading this entire thread, a few hours a day....

The oil-less "air fryers" work great at cooking all sorts of things. They can be used outdoors, so won't heat up the RV. They heat up nearly instantly, so they take less time to cook than conventional methods. And they won't use up any propane. Food results are close to that of an actual fryer, but without the grease, or cleanup. Can cook anything that will fit in them. French fries are now super easy, and healthier. The only downside is they are a little on the large side.
2018 GMC Denali Dually w/ tow package
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M

kebmw
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! A good bristle broom, great idea of course! I second the Dawn dishwashing soap with the H2O2 as well. It is my stain remover for my laundry and many other things too. I have not tried it on mold yet but it works on so many other stains.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
kebmw wrote:
Also, I forgot - I've been trying this method to work on a few mold spots in my house bathroom and it is helping. Spray Vinegar & Tea Tree oil solution on the spot and wait 30 minutes. Then spray with a solution of water and baking soda and wait 30 minutes. After that you scrub the area with a tooth brush dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide and rinse. Might be too labor intensive for a roof though.

https://rootandrevel.com/diy-mold-remover-how-to-get-rid-of-mold-naturally-without-bleach/

Instead of a toothbrush use a push broom with plastic bristles, basically the same thing in a much larger area package.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

lowryfarm
Explorer
Explorer
For getting stains out of clothes I use one part blue Dawn dishwashing soap and two parts hydrogen peroxide. I keep it in a spray bottle. This combination takes out just about every stain I've ever thrown at it. When you mix it the solution will be blue but after it sits overnight it even takes the color out of the dawn and it will be clear the next day. This may take the stains out of your roof as well but the peroxide may dry out the rubber membrane so I'm not sure it would be worth the risk.

There is a rubber paint you could just paint over the roof to cover the stains.

kebmw
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I forgot - I've been trying this method to work on a few mold spots in my house bathroom and it is helping. Spray Vinegar & Tea Tree oil solution on the spot and wait 30 minutes. Then spray with a solution of water and baking soda and wait 30 minutes. After that you scrub the area with a tooth brush dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide and rinse. Might be too labor intensive for a roof though.

https://rootandrevel.com/diy-mold-remover-how-to-get-rid-of-mold-naturally-without-bleach/

kebmw
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes those magic erasers work well to get stains off of things that don't seem to come off with any other method. I know there is a mop made from that material by "Mr. Clean" brand. I do not know if that mop works well, I haven't tried one, I just saw this recently.

TheBar wrote:
I applied Liquid EDPM RV Rubber Roof two years ago. I'm very happy with it except it stains much worse than the original roof. It is more gray than white now and it is not reflecting as much heat from the sun. Some stains are mold spots, some are leaf stains, and most of the area is just discoloration from some unknown element. I scrub it twice a year with a medium soft brush and these stains seem to be embedded in the rubber. I have tried everything I've seen mentioned on this forum from Camco rubber roof cleaner, to bleach, to Simple Green. Since most of these posts are 10 years old is there is a newer product that works?

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
I applied Liquid EDPM RV Rubber Roof two years ago. I'm very happy with it except it stains much worse than the original roof. It is more gray than white now and it is not reflecting as much heat from the sun. Some stains are mold spots, some are leaf stains, and most of the area is just discoloration from some unknown element. I scrub it twice a year with a medium soft brush and these stains seem to be embedded in the rubber. I have tried everything I've seen mentioned on this forum from Camco rubber roof cleaner, to bleach, to Simple Green. Since most of these posts are 10 years old is there is a newer product that works?
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Handy hint...

We just got a new freezer for our s&b and in the directions it said to put vaseline on the hinge side gasket. That should help it close and seal better.

What do you know - I did it on the fridge gasket in our trailer and it worked great on our last 3 week trip. We usually get lots of frost on our fridge fins after just a few days. This time the frost still came by the end of our trip, but it lasted much longer without.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics