cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone seen a Roxor used as a towed?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I have watched a few You tube vid's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzj8r-95BU
and visited the site from Mahindra
https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles
I understand that some mods have to be done, turn signals, lights etc, has anyone been able to use these on road? And specific to here, can it be flat towed?
4 cyl turbo diesel willy's copy seems awesome.
I jumped to towed vehicles , why is this here?
Mod please move before the screaming starts.
15 REPLIES 15

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I was wondering how long it would be before someone posted on this "new" machine. I think it's actually ingenious of Mahindra to market these things in the US as UTVs, probably knowing full well that FCA would scream like a mashed cat. I'm also sure that Mahindra knows that many Roxor owners will make the necessary tweaks to get their rigs licensed for street use in states that will allow it. (like Montana) I don't think the Roxor is intended to compete with any other UTVs, since it is completely different. The idea of it being stone-simple and all steel is appealing to me.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam's were portal like your picture shows. Reason I know was the inherent friction of the portal seals acted like a steering damper on them and I replaced mine more than once. Sam's used a 2 piece seal with a felt backer and a ring clamp arrangement to secure the portal seals.

My F350 is a high pinion Dana 60 open knuckle and needs an external damper. only thing I never liked about the open knuckle design is the close fit between the lower joint and the universal, necessitatiig a special zerk fitting (which I have to grease them with.

I'd buy a Polaris Razor before a Roxon myself.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

No, I had one. Manual hubs. ARB makes a locker or at least did. Also had a Samauri. Nice little underpowered vehicle. Sam's use a portal style front axle with lip seals that is prone to failure in stock form but easily rebuildable.

Do you mean a closed knuckle axle?

Portals are gear reduction boxes on the end of the axles that increase ground clearance.

If Samuri's came stock with those that would be awesome, not many vehicles do.

OPEN KNUCKLE:

CLOSED KNUCKLE:

PORTAL:

Notice the wheel hub is lower than the axle input, increased ground clearance and extra gear reduction in the portal box between the two.

Anyway, I think the Roxors are way cool, if expensive. But it seems most UTV's are comparably priced.
A modernized CJ2 with a little diesel, whats not to love! Should tow similarly to a CJ2. Put the transfer case in neutral and go. I wish they were street legal everywhere.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
I guess I have to ask why not a Samurai or a Geo tracker?.

Sure, theyโ€™re used but you can mechanically go through one for not much and have a better on and off road experience, street legal, with AC.

The Geos had air lockers if Iโ€™m not mistaken.

No, I had one. Manual hubs. ARB makes a locker or at least did. Also had a Samauri. Nice little underpowered vehicle. Sam's use a portal style front axle with lip seals that is prone to failure in stock form but easily rebuildable.
2015 Backpack SS1500

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

Sure, theyโ€™re used but you can mechanically go through one for not much and have a better on and off road experience, street legal, with AC.

Well,
I kind-a have to agree here. Yeah, it may be fun to goof around with and oddity but, to me, rather than going through whatever hassle it might or would be to legalize something and or make it flat towable, just buzz out and get a Sammy or Tracker and, you're automatically flat towable in all 50 states. I guess if you want the challenge of making something like that Rox thing work, well, go for it.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thunder Mountain wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
I understand that some mods have to be done, turn signals, lights etc, has anyone been able to use these on road? And specific to here, can it be flat towed?

Do a search on "Roxor Mahindra lawsuit." They started building these under license from Willys. FCA may have a tough road.Do a search on "Roxor Mahindra lawsuit." They started building these under license from Willys. FCA may have a tough road.

Now, back to your question about using on for a towed. This is an off road vehicle. Yes, you will have to make mods to drive in on the street, but you can only license it for on road use in states where UTVs and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the street. Arizona and Utah come to mind.

I saw a couple of these at a campground in Apache Junction last winter. Thought they were interesting. A friend of mine was looking at them last week and let me look at a brochure and specifications. The ground clearance in only 9". The max speed is 45 mph which might be problematic for on road use. The rest of the specs are really interesting.

I agree in part. Willy's-Overland licensed Mahindra to build the CJ2 military version many years ago but not to sell them stateside, only in foreign lands..... and, the Roxor may look like a CJ but underneath, it's not.

I believe FCA has a very strong case but we will let the FTC decide.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
The vertical bar grille is trademarked by Jeep, so that is a clear infringement. Other than that, not sure what all FCA might be claiming.

IIRC, Jeep holds a trademark for a 7 SLOT grill. The Roxor, made under license from Willys, has a FIVE SLOT grill, due to a previous (settled) lawsuit.
The Roxor CAN be made street legal in some states, just as my two Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs are street legal here, licensed as motorcycles. In fact, I have seen a Roxor on the street in downtown Billings carrying a dealer temporary plate! As time goes on, and more accessories become available (tops, heaters, "bling", lift kits, etc.) I expect to see a quite a few more of them.
Whether the Roxor is towable or not depends on the transfer case. Some Jeep CJ models were not towable due to a lack of lubrication in the T-case when being towed. That problem was fixable by taking a certain gear or slider out, welding fins on it to splash the lube better, then re-installing it. IIRC, the CJ7 was one such Jeep.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The vertical bar grille is trademarked by Jeep, so that is a clear infringement. Other than that, not sure what all FCA might be claiming.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:

Now, back to your question about using on for a towed. This is an off road vehicle. Yes, you will have to make mods to drive in on the street, but you can only license it for on road use in states where UTVs and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the street. Arizona and Utah come to mind.

I saw a couple of these at a campground in Apache Junction last winter. Thought they were interesting. A friend of mine was looking at them last week and let me look at a brochure and specifications. The ground clearance in only 9". The max speed is 45 mph which might be problematic for on road use. The rest of the specs are really interesting.

If it is licensed and plated in one state, do others out west accept that?

I saw a user group that mentioned the speed being a limiting chip, some had deleted or modded it and speeds up to 70 were common.
My curiosity was gearboxes handling 50-60 towed and if there was a major problem with bucking.
Apparently the leaf springs and straight axles on this short wheelbase get quirky.
If the jurisdiction does not allow UTVs, ATVs, OHVs or any other such vehicles on the highways, they won't make exceptions due to out of state licenses. You will also be prohibited from many national parks, even if the state allows them.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II

No, they don't. Even though it is licensed and plated, it is not a motor vehicle. It is a UTV. It is not subject to Federal safety and environmental regulations that govern automobiles. The title will show it as a UTV. I believe that some states title them as a motorcycle. It will have a sticker somewhere on it that states that it is an off road vehicle.

Here is Colorado we have several counties that allow UTVs on public roads. I my county, Chaffee, only a few roads are open. It is a state by state option with some states allowing it to be under county or municipal jurisdiction.

If you live in a state such as Colorado which will not allow you to plate a UTV, you will have to find a way to title and plate it in a state that does. Many snowbirds title and plate their UTVs in Arizona. My Polaris RZR is titled and plated in Montana. The plate is lifetime and cost $200. I have two registrations. One is on road and the other off road.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:

I saw a user group that mentioned the speed being a limiting chip, some had deleted or modded it and speeds up to 70 were common.
My curiosity was gearboxes handling 50-60 towed and if there was a major problem with bucking.
Apparently the leaf springs and straight axles on this short wheelbase get quirky.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II

Do a search on "Roxor Mahindra lawsuit." They started building these under license from Willys. FCA may have a tough road.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!