cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you quit without notice?

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We're hosting at Buffalo Bill State Park, Cody, WY. Our fourth State Park in three States. We're one of three couples here currently. A fourth had committed to join us thru mid September and showed up as promised, went to work, and left after one week with no notice at dawn one morning. When they arrived, we introduced ourselves and they told us they did that in Utah, with no notice due to bad working conditions. We thought that was strange and felt a bit uncomfortable with them at the time; then they did it here. The park staff here is great to work with and very friendly, and very flexible and appreciative of the hosts. We've heard other parks host coordinators tell us similar stories about people just taking off. I believe a commitment is a commitment and sneaking away should ban people from hosting. What kind of people do these things?
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch
39 REPLIES 39

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I would almost think they did it intentially, for the free lodging.
Hopefully they won't be accepted at any more camps.
Brian

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to start volunteering - we talked over what would be unacceptable work conditions.

Such things as a really different scope of work, personality conflicts with supervisors or other staff, etc. Also family emergencies, etc.

So far we've discussed those with the recruiting and supervisory folks at each volunteer site (we're pretty new to this so we don't have a long resume).

Everyone has been positive that we list our concerns up front.

If we ever leave early, it will not be no-notice.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
What kind of people? Ones that won't be hosting long once their reputation gets out.

When one park calls another, they can say legally:"This couple did not finish their commitment and left without notice."

It will get around.

We have hosted at parks that we WANTED to leave but did not. We finished our commitment and drove off with smiles on our faces.

Would we ever go back? Not a chance, even though we have been invited. We are retired and don't need to put ourselves in an unpleasant environment.
Hardly think they will be listing their one week job on their resume.

Maybe, maybe not.

A good interviewer will reveal it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
No matter what reason they had for leaving, good reasons, bad reasons, what ever. Fact is they broke their word. It does not take but a minute to stop by the office on the way out and say. Sorry, but we can't stay.
But it takes no time to be a coward and walk off with out a word. They give the rest of the world a bad name.
. "This" is the point of this post. It's just disappointment in the humans who behave this way and it irritates me too there are those who think it's OK and yet another who blames the Park Supt. for these peoples bad manners. It's the "sneak away in the middle of the night" quitter I can't accept.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
Our park supt. did call the Utah park they left and was told they would not be recommended.

If he called before he hired them and took them on anyway, there's no beef.

And if he waited to check their references until AFTER they left the park high and dry, there's no beef, either. Well, except perhaps in the minds of his superiors, who may have depended on him to screen/check the references of employees before taking them on.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
could be they just needed a place to stay for a few weeks.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Drove out that way killing some time. Park looks pretty full. Highest I have seen the reservoir in a long time.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so glad there are people like that.

There is no way I could of competed with some people with more brains than common since.

I never would of been able to retire if there weren't people that didn't want to work.

Thank you to all the folks that didn't feel like working. Made room for me!
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter what reason they had for leaving, good reasons, bad reasons, what ever. Fact is they broke their word. It does not take but a minute to stop by the office on the way out and say. Sorry, but we can't stay.
But it takes no time to be a coward and walk off with out a word. They give the rest of the world a bad name.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
kcmoedoe wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
darsben wrote:
Love to hear the other side of the story.
Maybe they had family issues or one of the people was unhappy.
How many of you would stay at a place if your partner said "I hate it here I want to leave?"
So without 2 sides do not condemn

I'm sure the park manager would have liked to hear the other side of the story as well. If there was a family situation (a valid reason)or if one of the people were unhappy (sorry, not a valid reason) they should have gone to the park manager and explained the situation.

To just up and leave, even with a family situation, is not the way to operate. I don't believe others are condemning these people, just commenting on their rude and unacceptable behavior.
Do have to disagree with one of your points. If they were unhappy, that is a valid reason to leave. If that was the case, it benefits both the park and the employees to go their separate ways. I would much rather be short staffed than have unhappy employees. Bad attitudes among employees spreads like wildfire. Much better to have them leave than poison the work environment for everyone else.

Excellent point.......

And they should have discussed their 'resignation' with park supt.

Just packing up and leaving is not the way 'adults' handle business.
That's a chicken poop/cowards way.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
darsben wrote:
How many of you would stay at a place if your partner said "I hate it here I want to leave?"

I'm sure the park manager would have liked to hear the other side of the story as well. If there was a family situation (a valid reason)or if one of the people were unhappy (sorry, not a valid reason) they should have gone to the park manager and explained the situation.

To just up and leave, even with a family situation, is not the way to operate. I don't believe others are condemning these people, just commenting on their rude and unacceptable behavior.
Do have to disagree with one of your points. If they were unhappy, that is a valid reason to leave. If that was the case, it benefits both the park and the employees to go their separate ways. I would much rather be short staffed than have unhappy employees. Bad attitudes among employees spreads like wildfire. Much better to have them leave than poison the work environment for everyone else.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Your behavior is a mirror in which everyone shows their true image.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Some people have a work ethic some don't. Some people consider their word is bond, others have no integrity.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben wrote:

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Although there is situations when an immediate exit is necessary, certainly in almost every case there is opportunity to phone or email back to let those others know why. To do nothing is just not nice.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel