cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Having a problem with my tow bar

GopherBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadmaster (Stowmaster) falcon all terrain tow bar that I have used one time and had a heck of a time getting the car unhooked form the tow bar. One of the tow bar arms will not retrack now. I haven't done anything other than give a close look, and I haven't tried to hook the car back up to the tow bar yet but will need to soon. Any suggestions?
I don't see how the lock mechanism works, can anyone explain it to me?
Bill
4 REPLIES 4

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the silicone spray. Made mine like new!
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

GopherBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I knew I could count on someone knowing what to do. I was pretty sure I hadn't damaged anything to much, but all was not right so we stoped and disconnected the car after a mile. Thanks for the quick response.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bill,

Here is a link to the manual.

We have had a similar problem with our Stowmaster All Terrain. Similar to your but is mounted on the tow vehicle.

The problem is likely dirt or eve a little corrosion in the arm It deeds to be cleaned and possibly polished.

First however, pour Simple Green into the tubes from one end and or around the levers. Work the bar in and out for a while then flush with clean water. It may take a while and several applications and flushings to get it clean.

Spray the inner bar with Silicone spray. DO NOT USE SOLVENTS, OIL, WD40 OR GREASE.

If it still sticks you may have to remove the inner arm from the outer (not as difficult as it may look--Once you have disconnected both ends the parts should slide out.)

Clean and the inside of the bushing. DON'T remove much material! I used 2000 grit wet or dry paper which I happened to have. Probably finer than needed. I taped a piece to a deep socket and used and electric drill. Keep the paper wet. A also cleaned and polished nicks and dents from the inner arm. The inner arm should slide easily through the bushing but should not be sloppy.

The problem with mine was scratches and dents from gravel (from Alaska) and road tar from road repairs. Due the to tar I had to use a little solvent but was positively paranoid about removing all traces of the solvent before reassembling. It has worked flawlessly for many months since.

Make careful notes as you take thing apart. A digital camera is useful!

Roadmaster Tech support is also very helpful. Give them a phone call if you get stuck.

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Bill
This may help, just find the one you have and see how it works. I have the Falcon All Terrain with the flip locks.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/support/manuals.html
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C