cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mice!

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
4 years living in the mh and never had mice till now. We have them inside the mh by the front seats. I have put out traps and caught 2. I have checked inside the bays, under seats, couch and kitchen cabinets with no evidence.

We are parked in a State Spark in IL and on a gravel surface. Any suggestions? Could I spread something on the ground under the mh to keep them away? We do have a dog so I need to be careful with what it might be. Or something around the tires? I have seen people do that and it is white, but I have no idea what it is.

thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I put a small box of D-Con on top of each tire and the varmints were gone in a short time and never came back.:B

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Tenbear. We have never had mice in storage but have picked them up on trips. I have decided that they use the power cord as a highway inside and have blocked the extra space where the cord enters the trailer.

Denlor
Explorer
Explorer
We use the plug in rodent ridders or any brand available. They last for years and are available at almost any hardware store. They send out a high frequency sound that rodents do not like and it seems to work as we have never had any (touch wood) but our neighbors have had problems. They just plug into any receptacle and do the job. If you have a bunny rabbit it will bother them as well.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
tropical_ron wrote:
Well here's my contribution. We've been camping in an rv since 87, never had a mouse till this trip...We picked up 2 mice at koa near Yosemite; beautiful area. They go inside and found the bread drawer. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 old fashioned mouse traps and placed them in the basement storage bays ( peanut butter bait ). First night caught both. Have left traps in and they travel well. There has not been any evidence of mice since. Cheapest traps did the job.

The mice in the Yosemite area are known to carry a deadly virus. It was in the news big time last summer.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I had mice last year. Used plain old mouse traps and eventually caught 7 mice, one time 2 in the same trap. 2 adults and 5 little ones.

My guess is the adults got in by climbing the power cord. I made a metal gate to close the space around the cord. I had previously filled all the holes I could find using expanding foam, they all looked ok.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had mice a couple of times and used traps at first. Then they kept getting the bait and not springing the trap even though it seemed touchy enough to us, barely touched it and it would spring. We have steel wool around sewer hose and holes into water bay. Do dishes every night - make sure trash is taken out after dinner. We put the dry dog food away every night so it's never sitting out and in our current location we have had a couple of mice again. We have put moth balls everywhere in bays, jack pads, tires, engine compartment. Hopefully we won't have any more of them. If all else fails I now have some decon under the sinks and behind the sofa. Hate those things! And for anyone who may think bad housekeeping - wrong, I keep the motorhome spotless and clean!

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
We had some get in the winter of 2011-2012. Last fall we put poison packets and fresh cab in the lower storage compartments. So far as we are cleaning and packing, I have not seen evidence of mice in the MH. I asked DH and he said not even any of the bait packets were bothered.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
1: Patch holes with stainless steel wool (regular rusts into powder).
2: Use traps like sticky pads or "Jawz" snap traps that have a wide bait try. You want to catch them as they scurry past a wall, as likely they won't have much interest in bait.
3: Keep foodstuffs in metal or at least plastic containers.
4: I have heard good things about Fresh Cab, but not tried it myself.

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Well here's my contribution. We've been camping in an rv since 87, never had a mouse till this trip...We picked up 2 mice at koa near Yosemite; beautiful area. They go inside and found the bread drawer. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 old fashioned mouse traps and placed them in the basement storage bays ( peanut butter bait ). First night caught both. Have left traps in and they travel well. There has not been any evidence of mice since. Cheapest traps did the job.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe using moth balls or moth cystals. Seems patching holes works better. We used sticky traps in TT. No mice in MH yet. Those critters can squeeze through almost any hole.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep mice away
Prevent mice
Kill/prevent mice 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman