cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help....WDH setup with Timbren SES

shawnw15
Explorer
Explorer
Let me start by saying thank you all for the great information on this site. I have spent several hours reading information about safe towing methods and I am still left with a couple questions that I cannot find using the search feature. I purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 this winter and I am towing a 2013 Jayco 267 BHS with unloaded vehicle weight of 5,315 lbs and dry hitch weight of 675 lbs. I was well aware of the coil spings in the rear and knew I would be either purchasing air bags or timbrens to help with the soft rear suspension. After extensive research I purchased and installed timbrens and have now started adjusting my Equal-i-zer 10k WDH for the different height and suspension of my new TV. I started by leveling the camper and measuring the trailer coupler height. I placed the top of the hitch ball as close to the coupler height as possible. Initially I installed 4 spacer washers but it appeared there was not enough weight being transferred to the front of the truck so I have since added 2 more washers. With 6 washers installed I still feel that the handling of the truck should be better than it is.

Here are the numbers I found:

Hitch coupler height = 23 3/4

Truck alone:
Front height = 36 1/4
Rear height = 39 3/8

Truck with WDH attached:
Front height = 36 1/4
Rear height = 38

The main issue that I am having is when towing the trailer, the truck pulls pretty hard when I take my hands off the wheel. Typically it wants to pull to the right; however I have also experienced the truck wanting to pull to the left when driving on a worn side road. I am trying to determine if there is still not enough weight being transferred to the front and another washer should be added or what other changes I should consider. The height of the swing arms run parallel with the trailer frame and don't feel like I should have to adjust the height of the L brackets any further. I understand that I should drive to the scale so I have exact front and rear weights; but if you have any input on what I need to change I would appreciate it.

Thank you
Shawn
2013 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 267BHS - Equal-i-zer WDH
2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 - Timbren SES
10 REPLIES 10

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I did something similar with a different truck, used air bags instead of Timbrens. Carried a lot of stuff in the truck and 1000lb bars were needed to set everything up, but they rode stiff. Dropped to 4-600 bars and the added the bags and it was great. Your Timbrens won't do anything with the WD setup, but if your adding another 4-600lbs for your ATV then they should come in to contact with the axle and help with stability. Your going to want them compressed pretty good cause if they are just touching the axle your going to get a rough ride with bumps in the road.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The suspension will bounce on and off the Timbrens if the WD system lifts the suspension up enough to leave a gap. Worst situation possible. The soft suspension and lousy handling are still there because of the gap, and the bump when they do hit can be objectionable. Best to have them slightly compressed when all hooked up and ready to go. They do help stabilize, but only if they are in compression. Ideally one will have about one inch of gap when empty, and about one half inch compression when hitched.

shawnw15
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
It looks to me like the WD is doing its' job just about right. There is no need for the Timbrens at all if your WD is set up properly - and it looks like it is. I would leave the L brackets alone as they look to be at the right height. The bars cannot interfere with the frame on an Equal-i-zer hitch unless they hit very front of the A frame right behind the hitch head since they merely slide forward or backward on the L brackets and cannot swing left or right under the A frame at all..

Timbrens are great for carrying a load in the bed of the truck but really not needed at all when using a weight distributing hitch. I would look for another reason for the funny handling.
Barney

I agree that the WDH should work great without the Timbrens installed, but I have installed the Timbrens for when I will haul my ATV or other heavy loads in the bed of the truck and am also hoping that they will work nicely when I am hauling my camper with WDH. I spent some time this morning on the phone with a representative from Progress Mfg and I feel that my WDH is setup properly. I will be taking a few pictures tonight and sending them to Progress Mfg per their request. I will let you guys know what I find out from them.

shawnw15
Explorer
Explorer
Fast Mopar wrote:
shawnw15 wrote:
I will contact Timbren regarding the spacers and any advice. Thank you for the response, I hope the spacers solve my issue.

I've used Timbrens for 9 years and think they are great. Their customer service is also great. Just be careful about the additional spacers. If the gap is really really small, it can cause a rough ride when unloaded. It has never bothered me, but it bothers some people.

I contacted Timbren customer service this morning regarding available spacers and any suggestions to improve towing characteristics. The representative was very friendly and he indicated that part #DR1500DQ is designed for my truck; however that based on the provided distance with the use of my WDH I should try using part #DR1500DS. He offered to send me the new party FREE of charge to try and is also including a shipping label to send the other part back. So far the customer service has been great! The package should be here Friday, I will let you guys know how they work.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks to me like the WD is doing its' job just about right. There is no need for the Timbrens at all if your WD is set up properly - and it looks like it is. I would leave the L brackets alone as they look to be at the right height. The bars cannot interfere with the frame on an Equal-i-zer hitch unless they hit very front of the A frame right behind the hitch head since they merely slide forward or backward on the L brackets and cannot swing left or right under the A frame at all..

Timbrens are great for carrying a load in the bed of the truck but really not needed at all when using a weight distributing hitch. I would look for another reason for the funny handling.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
shawnw15 wrote:
I will contact Timbren regarding the spacers and any advice. Thank you for the response, I hope the spacers solve my issue.

I've used Timbrens for 9 years and think they are great. Their customer service is also great. Just be careful about the additional spacers. If the gap is really really small, it can cause a rough ride when unloaded. It has never bothered me, but it bothers some people.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

shawnw15
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Are the Timbrens compressed when hitched and WD applied? If they are not touching, you are still only using the stock suspension which you have judged to be inadequate. Timbren will supply spacers to take up any gap that exists. There "should" be a gap when unhitched to maintain the original ride. There should not be when towing. I had to play around with both spacers and hitch settings to get things right. Hope I haven't confused you. Mine had very little gap when unhitched, due to the weight of a fiberglass topper and the usual stuff in the bed of the truck.

Thank you for the reply, the timbrens are not compressed when WD is applied. I feel as if the Timbrens are not doing anything at this point with my WD applied. I will contact Timbren regarding the spacers and any advice. Thank you for the response, I hope the spacers solve my issue.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
shawnw15 wrote:

Here are the numbers I found:

Hitch coupler height = 23 3/4

Truck alone:
Front height = 36 1/4
Rear height = 39 3/8

Truck with WDH attached:
Front height = 36 1/4
Rear height = 38

From this measurement. It appears you have it right. You have the front back to where it was unloaded, and a 1" drop on the rear. That's pretty good. I believe thats about as good as it gets. You don't want the rear to be higher than it was unhooked.

As to your handling. Do you have the TV tires aired up? and the TT tires as well. Tires make a huge difference.
And do you have enough tongue weight? With the correct tongue weight, and your measurements you should have no sway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Are the Timbrens compressed when hitched and WD applied? If they are not touching, you are still only using the stock suspension which you have judged to be inadequate. Timbren will supply spacers to take up any gap that exists. There "should" be a gap when unhitched to maintain the original ride. There should not be when towing. I had to play around with both spacers and hitch settings to get things right. Hope I haven't confused you. Mine had very little gap when unhitched, due to the weight of a fiberglass topper and the usual stuff in the bed of the truck.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.