cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with parking area

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at having a parking spot built for my (soon to be new) 5th wheel. I want something that will last, but do I really need a 40 X 8 concrete pad built? Could I go with just a pad under where my 4 tires will rest and then put 4 small concrete blocks under where the stabilizers will be, and then fill in with gravel everywwhere else below the camper? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tim
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
25 REPLIES 25

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly some good idea here. We did add a roof and walls on our parking pad. Mainly we wanted it because the Carolina sun is so intense and fades things virtually color free. We figured it would be better for the paint and the tires, not to mention , if we want to work on it, it protected us a bit from the weather.

Tim1970, you sure opened a lively discussion here.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to fill in a lot for my pad and used concrete wash out from the local plant. Material was free and they just charged a delivery fee. Leveled with tractor and it packed hard as concrete.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
If I went to the trouble of pouring a pad like that, it would have walls and a roof.
Actually, the title of this thread should be post your ideas of a parking area and have at it. OP gone?

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
18 x 40 that is a nice size.

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I had my RV on both and for cleanliness and ease of working on one, concrete wins in my opinion hands down. I had 18X40 pad pored for around $2,000. Money well spent.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe If I stay here long enough, I will add the concrete over my "base" of limestone.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Something to add here. You guys putting in the gravel. it is a nice base for someday doing the concrete. Pretty smart move you are making.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I think concrete was roughly $120 per yard the last time I needed some. Gravel about $25.00 per yard.

Concrete requires framing, rebar, raking, floating, trowelling, etc....(beer and pizza for the guys I would need to help)

Gravel can be raked over a weed barrier. (wife/son helped--they already eat/drink here).

I would love to have a pad to roll around on, but for less than the cost of a single yard of concrete....I placed, levelled, 2x2 concrete patio stones for each tire and the tongue, filled in the rest of the space with gravel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Poured a concerete pad with 50A power, frost free hose bib and sewer. RV sizes change, I now hang over each end of my 30' pad. Do it once and allow for future RV's. I do wish I had made the pad 1-2' wider but it does work.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Concrete sure is nice while doing inspections and maintenance on the underside. A creeper rolls around much easier on hard surface than on gravel or dirt.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Halmfamily wrote:
We park our 14600lb fifth wheel on a 4" gravel pad. Leveled the site, layed the gravel and compacted with our dually. 5 years and still solid. Total cost $250 for gravel.

Roughly the same for me...works great.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
My old POS sits on a 12 foot 2x12 cut in half in my buddies field in the off season and on my cement driveway during camping season
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
sure you could. me, I'd do it right and construct a proper covered pad with an electrical post. and if zoning permitted I'd have a water and sewer connection

As Rich said, We have our house on a slanted few acres. We built a pad that has the rear end almost 4 feet in the air. It has concrete blockson the in the air end and then gravel and then dirt packed in. On top of that we have about 5 inches of concrete for the pad and then a building on top of that then another driveway to the street, Maybe 100 feet or so. When we were first plnning, we got some pretty werd suggestions. One went so far as to tell me we werent parking a 727 on there. But, we did it our way and very pleased with the result. We have an electric on a stancion, water and sewer hookups. The building is wide enough that we can open all of our slides and still walk around the MoHo. even store our lawnmower and other thngs in there. Build what YOU like and what YOU can afford. Just dont forget, the better you take care of that rv, the better it will work for you.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used two Marstin Mats. Military pierced steel that they use for combat pads.
Mine have been down for 7 or 8 years. Grass grows through them and I can mow right over them.

Check some Military surplus yards.