cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you protect your surge suppressor

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
I read recently in Trailer Life magazine about someone that had a surge suppressor go bad because it got wet. So what do you do if anything to protect your surge suppressor from the weather?
Thanks in advance!!
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
25 REPLIES 25

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
I installed a hardwired unit. Stays dry, unless the closet leaks :B

The ammo box seems to be a good solution for cord connections, but my favorite I read on here is the portable unit installed as a permanent unit.

Cut the cord INSIDE the trailer. Place a male plug on the supply side, place a female plug on the "trailer" side. This is backwards. Male on "trailer" side, plugged into female on surge protector, which then takes male plug into newly installed female plug on supply cord.Once plugged in...your surge protector is essential permanent in a dry space.

I am not sure how it can be monitored, but it will still protect.

Edited myself...didn't mean to double post. Think I will leave it, so the mistake is easily seen.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a hardwired unit. Stays dry, unless the closet leaks :B

The ammo box seems to be a good solution for cord connections, but my favorite I read on here is the portable unit installed as a permanent unit.

Cut the cord INSIDE the trailer. Place a male plug on the supply side, place a female plug on the "trailer" side. Once plugged in...your surge protector is essential permanent in a dry space.

I am not sure how it can be monitored, but it will still protect.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Weather resistant doesn't mean waterproof. If the pedestal isn't high enough to keep ours off the ground, I use a short extension, and cheap folding chair. I drape it so both cords are handing down.

I do this even if there is not a forecast for rain. I never leave it lying on the ground. Been caught by surprise thunderstorms too many times.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is a Progressive.
It has been in gully washing rain storms and I have never had a problem with it.

We are snow birds and it is exposed to off and on rain storms for five months a year

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

MrWizard
cut your cord, put new male and female ends
get a plastic AMMO BOX
make your self a weather proof box you can lock, for your surge protector

several members have made this box for shore cord extensions to keep cord ends out of water
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use a plastic bag also, over the lock box no use in taking chances
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some have installed portable units inside the rig. From the get go I bought a inside hard wired EMS unit.

The Progressive Industries portable units are listed as weather resistant/outdoor use.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator you assume correctly.
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Place it in a bag and hang it in such a way that both cables are coming out of the bag going down so that no water gets in the bag.

I am assuming you have a portable one the you plug at the pedestal.

navegator

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
cover with a plastic bag...
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992