cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How far is too far?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Who here has bought a trailer long distance? I live in Mid-Michigan and I am slowly settling in on a Arctic Fox 25W as our next trailer (now that I beat the heck out of our first one through inexperience). Problem is the closest dealers are either in Cincinnati, OH or somewhere on the other side of Lake Michigan. What are the pitfalls of buying long distance? Any advice on the best way to handle such a transaction?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
32 REPLIES 32

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are looking at a quality rig not some slapped together low buck entry level unit. That being said it will have better quality components and construction methods than many others. Things can still go wrong but the probability of needing to go back to the dealer is low. The warranty only lasts for a year. If you are traveling you may not be close to a local dealer anyway. Call the factory and see if they will support sending you parts and or using a mobile repair service. I buy mine where I get the best price for all those reasons.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Never bothered me in the slightest but I do all my own work anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first 5er from a dealer in Casper, WY. We were young and inexperienced. We went to Casper (around 280 miles away) because the dealer that was close to us was a pain to deal with in the sales department.

What we should have found another brand of RV. The one we bought was a POS, and the servicing dealer was either inept, or constantly put us at the back of the line because we didn't buy from them, or both.

We had major problems, stuff that I don't think most would want to fix, even if capable (shackle holding an axle on broke on both sides, aluminum siding came off the sides, bad window needed replacing, furnace needed to be rewired to the thermostat, the list goes on and on).

Our next trailer we bought local from a better dealer, and were very happy with the support.

If I were to buy again from a distance, I would look into the independent shop as suggested. I'd also get everything done before I got to the dealership - have my financing in order, hitch and wiring installed, everything so I could get in, check the RV out, and get home without spending the day (or in our case) the weekend up there.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I'm sure glad I didn't buy my AF long distance. It ended up having to go back to the factory for a new roof structure because of mistakes made. That would have been a pain if I'd bought it from far away.

What? Mistakes made? Back to factory? An AF? Based on all the posts here about how great they truly are and the best rig to ever come down the pike who'd a thunk?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Find out from the manufacturer if there are any independent RV repair shops near you that are authorized to do warranty work. In some cases, the factory will approve payment to mobile or independent shops if they are not a factory-authorized shop.
+1
Even though the dealership I bought my Nash from is local, I have any and all work done at my independant shop. (The local dealer was bought out by Camping World, and I am just not interested in dealing with them.)
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled all across the country for cars, trucks and RV's. If the deal is good enough, and I'm confident in the seller and the rig, it's worth it. I flew from Oregon to Oklahoma to get my current Greyhawk. The previous owner bought it new, and 2 weeks later his wife had a stroke. They never went on a single trip. It was still winterized when I got it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How to handle the transaction with a dealer?
Same as you would if they were next door.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm sure glad I didn't buy my AF long distance. It ended up having to go back to the factory for a new roof structure because of mistakes made. That would have been a pain if I'd bought it from far away.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Our first 5th wheel and truck was living in northern California and we lived just outside of Detroit. I flew out to look and inspect, left deposit and flew back home. About 45 days later drove out to pick up and drive it home.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Find out from the manufacturer if there are any independent RV repair shops near you that are authorized to do warranty work. In some cases, the factory will approve payment to mobile or independent shops if they are not a factory-authorized shop.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased in OH from MA. It was a long haul, but worthwhile on the cost. If you will take it in for every little thing on warranty work, you are probably best to stay local. I do most repairs myself, and have never files a warranty claim, so that was a much lesser concern on my end.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
"Haylett RV. Their Utube videos" ... Michigan based. Great videos! I'd like to visit their dealership some day.

Haylett does not sell Arctic Fox new, sad to say. Wish they did.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"Haylett RV. Their Utube videos" ... Michigan based. Great videos! I'd like to visit their dealership some day.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your situation is not very long distance. Get in the truck and go look at it. If you like it buy it and drive it home.

I met a couple in a Class A they had just bought. They were from Nashville and flew out to Portland, OR to buy it and were driving it home.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live near Kansas City and bought our 5th wheel from a dealer in Knoxville, TN. We checked with our local dealer who had absolutely no idea they made a trailer like the one we bought, but he said he would do warranty work on it since it was a brand he handled. We had one recall and it was taken care of post haste. No issues for us.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"