cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How fast do you go

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
When Towing on a highway where the speed limit is 70 MPH, how fast do you go?
96 REPLIES 96

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
65 max. Seems to be a good compromise between safety and fuel economy. Unladen: 75 max. to conserve fuel and allow cruise control to do all the work with little need for manual override, if ever.

blt2ski
hotpepperkid wrote:
I was on I-90 West bound all the the way to Seattle or anywhere else in WA and never saw any signs like that. I got in the wrong lane coming out of Seattle and wound up on I-90 and then I saw a sign that said no flammable. OOPs too late as I had a 5gal gas can in the bed of the truck for my generator

You will not see signs with 70 mph cars, trucks below it showing 60 mph, UNLESS you are on I5 south of Olympia, north of Marysville. On I90, you will see the sign outside of Issaquah, about 15 or so miles east of Seattle I5/I90 interchange. You will also see this sign going out of any other place where there is a higher density of vehicles driving, like Spokane, Vancouver near Portland. Parts of Bellingham, Mount Vernon to name a few other places where the Interstate is limited to 60mph no matter the vehicle. At one time, might still be, there was a 1-2 mile stretch in downtown seattle where the limit was 50-55 no matter what you are driving. Their are also places with variable speed signs, like parts of Seattle, I90 over snoqualmie pass for winter driving to name two that I can think of off the top of my head.
Chain up your rig signs, you only find at the bottom of a mountain pass, Nov 1 to April 1, unless later in April if there has been a lot of snow, still on forecast etc. Then it might be extended to AP 15 is latest I have seen it. If you have a tandem, or are over 10K registered weight, During this Nov to APril time frame, you are required by law to carry chains on your rig at all times, In case WSP puts chains required out for roads even in the lowlands. Unless you cross a scale, this is probably a mute issue. 4WD for rigs over 10K does not help you either, you still need chains if the chains sign, broadcast is up and going!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I was on I-90 West bound all the the way to Seattle or anywhere else in WA and never saw any signs like that. I got in the wrong lane coming out of Seattle and wound up on I-90 and then I saw a sign that said no flammable. OOPs too late as I had a 5gal gas can in the bed of the truck for my generator
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
But in general, of course with regards to "what" I'm towing, what I'm towing it with and road/weather conditions, I typically tow faster the longer I'm behind the wheel!
6 hours into a 12 hour day in the middle of BFE straight freeway, get's pretty boring. Bump the cruise up another notch!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Amazing this thread stayed relatively civil for this many pages.
The real question is not How fast do you tow?
But did the OP actually hope for guidance on how fast to tow whatever trailer behind whatever truck on whatever road he may be on?

Carry on kids...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I have seen the sign what Marty was telling about on I-90. Cars pulling a trailer etc. My friend felt because they had a MH it didn't count for them. But that sign has been gone for years or I have missed seeing it>

chevman

Larry,

Your friend "MIGHT" be able to get away with it, as the MH style may fall under the BUS guideline of rules. Along with a 24K max on the Ra vs 20K for the majority of us. Their are some funky parts of RCW 45 and 46, these two are the weight and speed laws for the state.
BUT, if your friend is pulling a towed vehicle of any sort, then he falls into the 60 mph relm IMHO. Towed vehicle means trailer, car 4 down etc.

Marty
I forgot to say he towed a Lincoln town car.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Inside California 55-62, outside California I stick to speed limit for trailers but never tow above 70mph.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I double tow my MC trailer behind my 5er in WA and OR I stick to the right hand lanes and to 60mph. .
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blt2ski
larry barnhart wrote:
I have seen the sign what Marty was telling about on I-90. Cars pulling a trailer etc. My friend felt because they had a MH it didn't count for them. But that sign has been gone for years or I have missed seeing it>

chevman

Larry,

Your friend "MIGHT" be able to get away with it, as the MH style may fall under the BUS guideline of rules. Along with a 24K max on the Ra vs 20K for the majority of us. Their are some funky parts of RCW 45 and 46, these two are the weight and speed laws for the state.
BUT, if your friend is pulling a towed vehicle of any sort, then he falls into the 60 mph relm IMHO. Towed vehicle means trailer, car 4 down etc.

Marty

blt2ski
I'm not positive on GVW vs GVWR, BUT, from taking a couple of classes from WSP CVEO's, they will use the max you can weigh legally. So a truck like Cummins has, just under 10k running down the road empty per say, with a paid for registration of 14k, your limit is 60 mph!
Like wise, a 15 series truck with a paid for license of 6000, pulling a single axle trailer if 3500 lb capacity, total 9500, is a tandem, so limit is 60 mph.
Both setups will need chains on rear of truck towing if chains over 10k sign is up going over mtn passes. The 15 series truck needs brakes on trailer, as the potential gvw is greater than 40% of truck gvw. ANY towed rig over 4500 lbs needs auxiliary brakes. Under 1500 not required.
Just to name a few of the laws here in WA st. Chain up laws are very similar in Id, OR, CA, Mont. Too!

Marty

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
trucks and cars with trailers 55 mph and I seem now to remember. My brother told me how fast he towed over I-90 and I told him too fast so I made sure I saw the sign soon after as we drove to Seattle. never saw that sign again but my story is true. believe or not your choice.

chevman.
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Max is 60 mph here in Wa st no matter where you are in the state if you have a gvw over 10K or are pulling a trailer."

After reading this multiple times you are saying my DRW truck with it's GVWR of 14k is NOT allowed to drive OVER 60 on ANY road in WA even NOT towing?

It says GVW, not GVWR so youโ€™re fine if youโ€™re unloaded.

One of these years they ought to get around to bringing these laws out of the 1950โ€™s when 10k meant s commercial truck. Thereโ€™s very similar language in Oregonโ€™s chain laws.

Thanks! My truck ready to tow with us in the Tuck and full tank is right around 10k.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Max is 60 mph here in Wa st no matter where you are in the state if you have a gvw over 10K or are pulling a trailer."

After reading this multiple times you are saying my DRW truck with it's GVWR of 14k is NOT allowed to drive OVER 60 on ANY road in WA even NOT towing?

It says GVW, not GVWR so youโ€™re fine if youโ€™re unloaded.

One of these years they ought to get around to bringing these laws out of the 1950โ€™s when 10k meant s commercial truck. Thereโ€™s very similar language in Oregonโ€™s chain laws.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Marty do you have something to back that up? It that actually posted somewhere or just a hidden law?

I have lived there all my life and have never seen anything other than "Trucks" limited to 60. I have seen there are weight limits to using the HOV lanes.

I have never seen any signs like this either. Only ones about staying out of the left lane on 3-lane freeways.
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.410

RCW 46.61.410 wrote:
(2) The maximum speed limit for vehicles over ten thousand pounds gross weight and vehicles in combination except auto stages shall not exceed sixty miles per hour and may be established at a lower limit by the secretary as provided in RCW 46.61.405.

โ€œAuto stagesโ€ are pretty much Greyhound busses:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.04.050