cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How high can the TV go?

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F 150. The wdh is the Fastway Equalizer E-2. No problems with hooking up. My question, the way the dealer showed me to unhook, I raise the trailer as high as needed until the pressuer is off the bars and you can pull them off with just a minor pull. IS the normal? Sometimes the truck is quite high? Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's called, "Work smarter, not harder."

Perfectly normal to lift take some weight off the rear of the truck to make hooking up the WD chains/bars/whatever easier.

Electric jacks usually have 3500lb rated capacity or more. Your typical 1/2 ton pickup weighs in at around 2200-2500lb on the rear axle, and you give yourself a bit of mechanical advantage jacking at the hitch ball. Trailer tongues are anywhere from 800-1200lbs. An electric jack could easily lift the rear of a typical combination right off the ground!

Not a good idea if you're not on the level, though.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Wheels off the back of the ground is way too high.

Sometimes a campsite can be high in the front. When hooking up, you can't get jack up high enough to engage the snap up brackets. In that case, simply don't hook the bars up. Pull the combo out on level ground, then hook them up.

To the OP, yes, it is normal to jack the back of the truck up, sometimes pretty high. Keep in mind, though, that you only need to go up high enough to engage the chain on the snap up bracket. If you can hang the chain, then you are high enough to use the leverage tool to finish the job.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
If I can hook or unhook the chains with one hand (using the bar :R) then that's high enough.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good way to smoke an electric tongue jack. They were not meant to lift like that. I've seen it done.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
The leverage tool used to put the bars on works great. However it seems to have no function to remove the bars. I know you raise the trailer to get the weight off, but if I am on a slope or hill, i can max out the jack and still can't get the bars off. So, additional question is does the leverage tool have a function to remove the bar and I'm being challenged here?

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is normal, and makes it so much easier to remove the WD bars.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've accidently lifted the rear wheels off the ground on my F150. It's normal. And depending how far your WD head is tilted down will determine how high you need to raise the truck.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That is the way I always did it. Makes it a lot easier to hook and unhook. If I recall Reese has it in their directions.