cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Many RV'ers are also Nautical Buffs Too?

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about how may of us folks keep a dinghy, powerboat, pontoon style, catamaran style, sailing boats or yachts, etc.

If so, please tell us about what it is you have and how often you're able to enjoy it.

I'll start, I have a beautiful 1994 Beneteau Oceanis 400, and am thinking about upgrading to a 1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis.

Thanks
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!
61 REPLIES 61

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2 year old Bennington triton with a Yamaha 150 hp 4 stroke engine and a Yamaha Waverunner. I'm fortunate to have a house on the Tennessee River with a boathouse 27 steps from the front door. After growing up there, it's hard to get a 6 mile sunset water view out of my system.

Our Grand Design Reflection bunkhouse trailer is going to stay in the North Georgia Mountains for trips during the middle of the week and for Fall leave watching. Our old travel trailer probably hasn't had 50 miles put on it in the last 19 years we've owned it.

g1g
Explorer
Explorer
I almost got a full certificate in the US Power Squadron but I started getting sea sick easier so I quit that and boating. That is when I bought my present RV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
...Don't complain about close CG sites when this is what a typical weekend with friends looked like.

Veebyes, in 1999 we were invited to a wedding that was being held ON lake Monroe in Southern Indiana. We took our new pop-up to a marina where the wedding couple made arrangements for us to camp at. We arrived the night before the wedding.

Next morning they greated us and took us (my wife and 2 kids) on a pontoon boat and away we went. I thought was was pretty cool, but the best was yet to come. The wedding was being held on a houseboat, but not just 1 house boat, 7 of them tied together (like your photo here). 6 of them were divided into 2 rows with all the front decks facing the middle toward each other. The 7th house boat was tied to the end, making a T figure. The wedding couple was on the first boat and all the guests were sitting on their lawn chairs on their decks. With second floors, and roof's over the decks, it was like being inside a building (like a church with the pews on the side and the platform at the front). Really cool.

What was even better was, several of the guests were swimming in the water below the boats. Where the 3 came together, 2 facing each other and the third in the T shape, there was a gap right there. There were as many people in the water, under there, looking up while the wedding was going on. I though it was hillarious because the kids swimming under there all had water guns and when the preacher said "I now pronounce ... you may kiss..." at the "kiss" all those kids started shooting their water guns at the couple. Just that quick, they stripped out of their wedding clothes, and underneith they had swim suits, and right in front of God and everybody, got down to their swim suits and jumped in the water.

I will say, that was the absolute coolest most fun time I ever had camping anywhere. I think, 5 of the 7 boats had slides from the top deck to the water, diving boards, and all kinds of water toys. Our kids had a blast, so did we.

At the end of the day, they took us back to the marina. Did I mention this was July 4, 1999? Then the home-grown fireworks started from all the folks docked, and those bottle rockets came flying at our pop-up! Scared the hee-bee-jee-bees right out of all of us, but looking back, it SURE was fun. Next day the took us back out their houseboat. The group had broken up and it was just the one house boat. The kids had so much fun.... and we did too.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before the 5er our recreational lives revolved around this. Most years we overnighted something like 40 nights aboard, always anchored out. Never at a marina.

Don't complain about close CG sites when this is what a typical weekend with friends looked like.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dlos
Explorer
Explorer
Scout Dorado 210 w/yamaha F150hp
Lowe Jon 14' w/Mercury 9.9hp
2 kayaks

Use all of them regularly year round.
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew, 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

Nights Camped in 2015: 18

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nautical buff? I'll let you decide. Hate to go to a lake without the 'Doo though (weather permitting LOL).

Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjxj wrote:
Well YES, absolutely!!!! How could pouring money into a hole in the water not go hand and hand with owning an RV? ๐Ÿ™‚
Pontoon boat
Little bass boat
paddle Boat
5 Kayaks

ROFL!!! So true!! I'll "see" your flotilla, and raise it by another paddle boat and a SUP! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought it new in 1996.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mikem7
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 337 Reflection 5th wheel and a Coachman Clipper pop-up. 3 kayaks, and I drive a 767' ore freighter around the Great Lakes.
2012 F350 6.7 SRW SB Lariat
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2015 Ford Explorer Limited
2013 Coachmen Classic 1285 SST
Mike and Jill, with Mesa the Wonder Dog
2006 Harley Ultra

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I retired I wanted to move to Fla with all the "pensioners" and have a condo on the water and a boat to travel to the islands to scuba dive and fish. My wife did not like my idea so we bought a MH instead. My 18 ft boat sat in the garage and I never used it in 8 years so I gave it to my DD and SIL. I carry a rubber raft with me in the MH and have used it all over up to Alaska all the way down to Fla. to fish. With a MH I had not had time to maintain a use a boat and have not scuba dived since retiring. I do carry my mask, snorkel and fins and free dive the springs in Fla, clean lakes and seashores across the US.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since home is Bermuda it is almost automatic to have a boat. I spent 18 years on the water doing charter sightseeing & snorkeling tours.

The last pleasure boat, an Albin32 single IB diesel, we were doing something like 40 nights a year onboard.

RVing is sooo much cheaper & easier than boating plus there are sooo many more places that you can go in a RV.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
-Four windsurfing boards
-One wood sailing dinghy

AND we need a larger garage
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
We kayak.

I used to build wood fishing boats.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 30' Catalina sailboat for 10 years. We decided to get off the water and see the US. The Rv is a lot more comfortable and lots of goodies then the sailboat came with.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
WE have a 24' Hewescraft aluminum boat. 4 downriggers on it. We love to fish when we are home in the summer. A wonderful grandkid bonding activity.