cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to weigh my Motor Home?

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched and not found an answer for how to weigh a motor home to get the axle weights. I have a transfer station scale that is about 60 feet long by 10 feet wide in my town. The scale clerk tells me to drive my rig halfway on to the scale and he will set a tare. That will give me the front axle weight. Then drive it halfway off the other end to get a weight ticket. The ticket will show the tare (front axle) and the weight (rear axle)and I can get both weights on one ticket. They charge $10 per ticket. Does this sound right? How do you guys get corner weights on a scale like this?
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though a bit more expensive. This, is by far the easiest way to do it.

http://www.rvsafety.com

Find the link to get your rig weighed, They come to you with portable scales. Find a place to do it, you meet them and .. Get weighed. They do some additional service too well worth the price.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
trikepilot wrote:
I have searched and not found an answer for how to weigh a motor home to get the axle weights. I have a transfer station scale that is about 60 feet long by 10 feet wide in my town. The scale clerk tells me to drive my rig halfway on to the scale and he will set a tare. That will give me the front axle weight. Then drive it halfway off the other end to get a weight ticket. The ticket will show the tare (front axle) and the weight (rear axle)and I can get both weights on one ticket. They charge $10 per ticket. Does this sound right? How do you guys get corner weights on a scale like this?

that's how I do it cuz at the only scale in my area. i'd prefer corner weights but each axle on the scale is close enough for govt. work.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There are three CAT certified scales near Albuquerque, all of them on #66.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
BruceMc wrote:

pull forward, move over 4 feet and pull back on with right rear:
Back across so only front right is on the scale:

Good luck!

If the scale at my transfer station was flush with the ground then that technique would work fine. It is raised above the ground and you have to drive up a short ramp to get on the scale. It looks like a very short bridge from a distance. Thanks for the idea, I may be able to use that at a truck stop somewhere down the road.
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Pull up on scale and weight front axel, than all the way up and weight with both axels on scale, than pull forward and just weigh rear axel.
This gives you front axel, total weight , and rear axel weight.

ideal is to weigh all four corners at same time, This takes individual scales like the troopers use.

There are places to get 4 corner. Usually at a RV rally.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I drive to my WA State Weigh Station when it is not occupied. The lighted weights from the scale are visible from the MH. FREE.

1. I weigh the entire MH. Record the weight.
2. I back up so that only the front tires are on the scale. Record the weight.
3. I pull forward so that only the rear tires are on the scale. Record the weight.
4. I back up and then pull forward to the left so that only the front right tire is on the scale. Record the weight.
5. Pull forward until only the right rear tires are on the scale. Record the weight.
6. Subtract #4 from #2.
7. Subtract #5 from #3.

Is there room to pull to one side to only weigh one corner at a time?

It was very accurate and deducted my actual weight when I was out of the MH.

I have a friend that was on a date, and said that he could guess her weight. He drove over the scale and knew what he and the car weighed beforehand. I don't think that the relationship progressed very far.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here in Oregon, if a roadside scale is not in use, it is available for anyone to pull onto, no charge. The weight display is mounted on a pole just beyond the scale.
We've weighed all 4 corners as follows:
(approximate; I don't recall the exact numbers but these are close for our unit)
Run onto scale with both front wheels:
Pull across so all 6 wheels on scale:
Pull on across so rear wheels only on scale:
pull forward, move over 4 feet and pull back on with right rear:
Back across so only front right is on the scale:

Result:
Full weight: 11000
Front: 3700, FR 1850, FL 1850
Rear: 7300, RR 3650, LR 3650

I'm not sure if you have access to scales in NM that are free to use, or how much they would charge for a 4 point weight.

Good luck!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
That's how I weigh my truck/ trailer. I pull just my front wheels on the scale, then just the truck's rear and then the trailer. This gives me all I need to know. I can't see weighing individual wheels, but that is just me. Bring it on if you wish. Can do a good estimate of what I load so I know I'm within my limits. Not that anal really. JMHO. Black tank has about 5 gallons at the start, gray is empty and fresh maybe 10 gallons or so. If I don't need it, I don't haul it.
charles weidman

Tom_Dee
Explorer
Explorer
trikepilot wrote:

That is the correct way to weigh your MH on that scale.
'96 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins, '06 Dutchmen 24P, a 16' boat to go behind it all!! Diesel Truck Site

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
P.S. does your manual give you G.V.W per axle?

No it lists the axle weights in the door jamb on the cab.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
P.S. does your manual give you G.V.W per axle?

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the only way to get axle weights, is by having four or six scales. One under each wheel. Like NASCAR or D.O.T. does it.