cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-Pass question

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
If I have an I-Pass for my truck, it detects when I'm pulling a trailer, in Illinois and charges me the correct toll accordingly. The I-Pass can be used where EZ-Pass is accepted. Do the states that use EZ-Pass also detect when I'm pulling the trailer and charge me accordingly?

I am having a hard time sifting through the EZ-Pass information to figure it out. One state said that commercial motor vehicles need to exchange their I-Pass transponder for an EZ-Pass transponder so more than two axles are counted but doesn't say anything about RV's.

Any real life experiences with these two systems will be greatly appreciated.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK
18 REPLIES 18

Waterops1
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
DUSTYR: that might be true...but NJ issues one for each vehicle (max 4)...and each one is marked for the vehicle it will go into.

FWIW.

PA has vehicles registered and transponder can be used on any vehicle. Started out with one transponder for three vehicles, them added a second transponder and then finally added a third transponder to eliminate moving transponder from vehicle to vehicle. When using rental cars for work, I would go online to register the plate of the rental car and use EZ-Pass lanes. Loved it when we traveled out to Nebraska; every toll road we were on accepted EZ-Pass. My wish is that it would have reciprocity with Florida's SunPass.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DUSTYR: that might be true...but NJ issues one for each vehicle (max 4)...and each one is marked for the vehicle it will go into.

FWIW.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
Ez pass counts axles, no need for multiple transponders. I have used mine in all east coast states that take ez pass and have always been charged correctly.

X-2

Register the TV tag and you are ready to go.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
With NJ, one can have 4 transponders per (non-commercial) account. I called their 1-800 number and let them set me up with a classification that lets my motorhome or pickup tow (something).
If, for instance I rent a trailer, I go on-line to my account and add the license plate of the trailer...then when done with it, simply remove that plate.

As far as my state and other states, that i travel thru, I use the EZPass lanes all the time. Never a problem.

((Edited to say: when the motorhome is pulling the "toad", remove the transponder from the "toad" and put it in that plastic bag it came in...then put that in the glove compartment or you will be charge fully...for the motorhome AND the "toad". ))

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of weeks ago I got a MA EZ pass (2 actually - 1 for the MH and 1 for the toad). No charge for either, just $40 into the account, and allowing them to replenish it when it runs low.
I was told that when using it in other states, I would have to go to a manned toll booth and have them add the extra axles on my EZ pass when towing the car. I have since found out that you can have a transponder set up to include the extra axles to eliminate having to have the toll taker manually input the extra axle/s. I'm going to call them to see if one of my transponders can be set up to include the extra axles.
I assume there are states that have eliminated toll takers, so I'm not sure what would happen if I drove through a toll plaza without having my extra axles manually added in my current situation.
A bigger problem I've had is that in 3 of the toll booths I've gone through my transponder wasn't read. I put it in the middle of the windshield, maybe 8" up from the dash. One toll taker told me it's not reading because of the cabover overhang. I'll try putting it lower on the windshield.
I put my Sun Pass transponder low on the left side of the windshield and have never had a problem with it being read.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we used IPass all over the northeast and it worked perfectly. We have a class A towing a dinghy toad.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bluie5 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be getting an I-Pass soon.

Then keep an eye on your account to be sure they are deducting the proper amount at each toll point. You should be able to do that online pretty easily.

When my trailer magically grows an additional axle, the charge goes up significantly.......but I've had no problem getting SunPass to adjust it back.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be getting an I-Pass soon.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
Ez pass counts axles, no need for multiple transponders. I have used mine in all east coast states that take ez pass and have always been charged correctly.

X-2

I have used EZ Pass since 2001 and it charges by the axle. Keep the TV/RV plate # updated with the EZ Pass web site.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:

This is how it's supposed to work everywhere.

I have a Florida Sun Pass, which is not tied into the EZpass network yet (only promises so far) and the Florida system gets it right most of the time. It never seems to miss the extra trailer......but sometimes charges me like it has twin axles; at most toll points it properly picks it up as a single extra axle.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, they are all charged the same.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it works the same.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Its the toll booth that detects the trailer. The i-pass works in ez-pass land. I drove our company van from Chicago to RI towing a Uhaul and the i-pass worked the whole way.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach: EZPass is issued by each individual state...and here in NJ we get up to 4 transponders per (non-commercial) account.
Each one is marked for each vehicle. With me...the motorhome: the auto: the pickup and the motorcycle. (I must presume that with NJ EZPass one transponder will not work on any vehicle.)
The motorhome and pickup can pull "anything". Whatever is being towed, the license place must be registered.
I ended up calling the 1-800 number for the NJ EZPass and had them do the "classification" to enable the motorhome and pickup to tow "anything".

No problems in any state.