cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I will use a wifi only ipad mini as GPS.

rtrevinoh
Explorer
Explorer
What would be a cheap yet reliable way to track my routes offline, without using my phone or hotspot data plan??
21 REPLIES 21

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a Garmin (forget the model) for $79 on Groupon. Usually it's a $175 model. Works great one year and lots of use later.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I visit free POI (Point of Interest) sites and download their files in Garmin format form. Adding these files make a Garmin far more powerful than how it's delivered with only the information that is normally included in it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Garmin is the way to go ... they only need satellite signals ... which are in a lot more places than cell towers. After you get a Garmin, download into it thousands of the free Points of Interest locations from users all over the U.S. to just about find anything anywhere. I have over 850,000 Points of Interest in my RV's Garmin navigator, including such things as every lake - wet or dry - in the U.S..

How do you do that? I have a Garmin Nuvi and can add MicroSD card.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I use a cellular/gps iPad mini with CoPilot GPS software.

The ipad was cheap when we upgraded our Verizon plan.
Service is $10 a month (on top of our existing Verizon phones)
CoPilot was 24.99, and it doesn't use data to work.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
rtrevinoh wrote:
What would be a cheap yet reliable way to track my routes offline, without using my phone or hotspot data plan??

How about a regular ole map.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Brynjolf
Explorer
Explorer
teejaywhy wrote:
My wi-fi only Samsung Galaxy Tab has built in GPS. I bought a mapping software that works OK but I think I would rather have a dedicated Garmin.

I know what you mean... I've used the TomTom, Sygic and CoPilot apps and they're all a bit off.

But, give the free Here Maps (make by Nokia) a try. It doesn't have a thousand bells and whistles, but it does have all the essentials (downloadable maps, offline mode, excellent search engine for addresses and points of interest, and navigation to a single stop) and it does it very well with a simple, clear, easy-to-use interface.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the iPad Mini WiFi which has no GPS. There is no data plan and it cannot be used for navigation without an add-on GPS.

I do have "GPS CoPilot" and "Pocket Earth" apps which are both offline maps. They can plot a route but due to no GPS they do not follow the route. The offline iPad maps essentially take the place of a paper map or atlas.

I use a TomTom GPS for navigation which cost $69 on Black Friday.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using up your data plan notwithstanding, suppose you want to get navigation help using iStuff when you can't make connection to a cell tower? Look at a Verizon coverage map of the U.S. in the scenic areas of the Western states to see what I mean about cell coverage blank spots.

Garmin is the way to go ... they only need satellite signals ... which are in a lot more places than cell towers. After you get a Garmin, download into it thousands of the free Points of Interest locations from users all over the U.S. to just about find anything anywhere. I have over 850,000 Points of Interest in my RV's Garmin navigator, including such things as every lake - wet or dry - in the U.S..
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

We travel with an Ipad, Kindle, and two laptops, in addition to two Iphones; plus a Garmin. Unless you have a data plan for your Ipad, and you don't want to use, or have, Iphone; the Garmin is definitely your best option for directions. And even if you do have an Iphone, the Garmin is a better bet in our opinion.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
In response to the title, no you wont. A WiFi iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver built into it.

+1. True.

My wi-fi only Samsung Galaxy Tab has built in GPS. I bought a mapping software that works OK but I think I would rather have a dedicated Garmin.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I use a product "Dual GPS" with my wifi only Ipad for a gps signal.It sits on the dash or glareshield of my airplane and Bluetooths to Ipad or any smartphone/tablet .There is another brand "Bad Elf" & either one about $100.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said he does not want to burn data, so a resident program would work. But the fact remains that his device had no GPS receiver built in, so it doesnt matter either way
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Going west from Boerne, a Garmin fits the reliable requirement completely and cost mostly when compared to alternatives. Cell towers get pretty sparse. Hard copy map book and campground book is useful also

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
As mentioned, the wifi only iPads do not have GPS chips, they do their location tracking by noting nearby wifi hotspots.
I understand whats going on, but have you ever found a white paper on this technology ?

The Maps app, as no doubt you've already noted, needs internet access, since it does not store the maps on the iPad, but there is a free mapping app that does store maps on the iPad and thus does not need internet access. It is called CoPilot, and you can get the free version from the iTunes app store. There are also paid versions with more bells and whistles and additional maps. I have noted that if you leave wifi on and allow copilot to use location services, it will track your movements, although not as well as true GPS.
And not at all if no WiFi found...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350