cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideal vehicle for a newbie?

R-Pod_Reindeer
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I already realize now I made my first big RV mistake. Without understanding the towing capacity considerations I purchased a travel trailer that is just under 3000lbs (dry), for a 2003 Ford Escape with a 3500lb TC. Never mind that a quick trip through some windy passes with just the vehicle alone made me realize I'm not going to be using this vehicle, especially as my first ever towing experience. So I guess my question is...are there certain vehicles that are safer than others for towing - I'll be looking for a 5000lb TC for sure but...but are there certain characteristics to look out for especially when you're looking for trucks? Thx for any suggestions!
34 REPLIES 34

R-Pod_Reindeer
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long overdue response but I have to give my sincere thank you's for that information and all else provided. It was invaluable and am now the owner of an '06 Ford 150 Supercrew 4WD so I feel far more confident towing, and I thank everyone who helped explain things in greater detail. For now the R-Pod 179 is parked safely in the driveway while I learn about all it's functions. Baby steps, but this forum and others have been invaluable in this learning process. Simply awesome!

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
The OP using the abbreviation for Truck Camper, did confuse things.

The OP needs to provide more specs on the trailer.
But it sound of he can use a v-6 or v-8 truck.

TC is a well-used abbreviation. I too, thought Truck Camper, because it didn't make sense that he'd be referring to a Torque Converter or Transfer Case. Tow Capacity didn't come to mind until later down the posts.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things that may help you in your search.

Tow Vehicle:

1. A vehicle's max tow capacity is calculated, considering the vehicle is a basic madel, with no aftermarket accessories, no passengers, no cargo, and the driver only weighs 150 lbs. It does not consider towing something with the aerodynamics of a brick wall. Towing a boat, is not the same as towing a travel trailer.

2. As the dealer and end user add options and accessories, the max tow capacity is going down, pound for pound. Then the end user adds passengers and cargo, and tow capacity goes down even more.

3. Payload is the difference between the vehicle's GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating) and what the vehicle actually weighs (curb weight). It is also your capacity to carry the combined weight of accessories, people, pets, cargo, and tongue weight.

4. GCVWR is your rating for max combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer(including everything and everybody in, or on the vehicles).

5. Each (front and rear) axle has it's own weight carrying rating.

6. The hitch receiver has one rating for carrying tongue weight without weight distribution, and one for carrying tongue weight with weight distribution. Some vehicles, due to their frame / body style, are not recommended for use with a weight distributing hitch.

7. Tow vehicles of various makes / models are not all created equal. IE: One F150, Tundra, Titan, 1500 series, etc, may not have the same capacities as an identical looking model sitting next to it. It's possible to find two F150's, sitting next to each other, one with 5000 lb tow capacity, and one with 11,000 lbs. There's a version of F150's with only 750 lbs of payload. There's also, one
that can carry over 3000 lbs.

Trailer:

1. Dry weights are from when the trailer left the factory. Some manufacturers include a weight estimate for propane and battery(s), some don't.

2. Some trailers have options installed by the dealer, those are not normally included in dry weights.

3. Average camping load (dishes, pots and pans, camping gear, BBQ, bedding, groceries, and water, etc) is about 800 lbs.

4. Average tongue weight is 12.5 percent of loaded trailer weight.

The sceanario with your trailer and the Escape could look like this:

1. Max tow capacity rated at 3500 lbs.

2. People and cargo weight of 500 lbs, reduces tow capacity to 3000 lbs, which is the advertised dry weight of the trailer. If the trailer has any propane, batteries, or dealer installed options, that were not included in dry weights, you're over weight, and you haven't loaded the trailer, yet.

3. As you've seen, that could be an unpleasant towing experience.

When you shop for the new tow vehicle, consider your pre-existing payload and towing requirements. Depending on the weight of stuff, you intend to carry on camping trips, 5000 lb tow capacity, may not be enough. Find one where, after you deduct your payload requirements, it still has plenty of capacity (payload and towing) to carry / tow the the trailer weights. You might even give yourself some room for the next (bigger) trailer.

There are a lot of SUV's and trucks out there, that can do a fine job with your trailer. You just need to remember the not all created equal thing, and check the capacities of each candidate.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

R-Pod_Reindeer
Explorer
Explorer
Oh that is such fantastic information!!! And such a good laugh!! Thank you everyone...I'm totally learning all this stuff and by TC I did mean my towing capacity 🙂 The funniest was "anything but the Escape" LOL. And yup, my dealership did say "no problem" but in all fairness I used my youngest brother who just started and knows even less than I so I was prepared. And they did try to talk me down to a lighter model (r-pod 172 vs the 179 I bought). But I sensed from just the drive out there in winds I wouldn't be using it to tow, especially through mountains. Thank you for the suggestions for a longer box to increase stability...I was told about a 2003 Siverado 2500 Duramax - it looked HUGE but for someone who drives so little unless traveling I may look into, or some sort of 1500 series something (know about the same about trucks as RVs lol...all good fun!) But that helped a lot! I was still going to set up the escape for "emergency towing" but I think I'll save the $!

R-Pod_Reindeer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback (still figuring the site out so didn't see them!). I will read them through now...thanks again!!!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
The last thing he needs to tow that TT with is a dully.

hmmm.... WTH is a "dully"

One of them trucks that dulls down the driving experiance:B
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
The last thing he needs to tow that TT with is a dully.

hmmm.... WTH is a "dully"
Bob

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
If you are thinking of a truck, a 150/1500 appropriately outfitted will work wonders for your towing experience. A 6000lb rating on one of the larger suvs would suffice as well. When it comes to towing, a longer tow vehicle will generally be more stable.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you get enough wheelbase. My 6x12 cargo trailer will push my Cherokee and Grand Cherokee when cornering at speeds more than 30 mph. It doesn't seem to have the same push on a 1/2 ton Silverado. I had a Mazda Tribute (same as Ford Escape) and it was worse. I think because it was a even lighter vehicle.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think the one ton is the best.

For everyone else, did you not read from the OP not only is he towing a 3000 pound trailer he is also hauling a 3500 pound TC... Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't TC stand for TRUCK CAMPER?

Really? Is there anyone here who truly thinks the OP is towing a TT AND a truck camper with a Ford Escape??? Where on earth would the truck camper go? You gotta kind of read the post in context.

Lets be fair. Cause I like to mess with the ton trucks for everything people to. However. He already saw his mistake. We all misread sometimes, at least I do.

Posted By: DutchmenSport on 04/07/15 08:52pm

I agreen then if this is tow capacity. 1/2 ton is sufficient.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think the one ton is the best.

For everyone else, did you not read from the OP not only is he towing a 3000 pound trailer he is also hauling a 3500 pound TC... Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't TC stand for TRUCK CAMPER?

Really? Is there anyone here who truly thinks the OP is towing a TT AND a truck camper with a Ford Escape??? Where on earth would the truck camper go? You gotta kind of read the post in context.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
The OP using the abbreviation for Truck Camper, did confuse things.

The OP needs to provide more specs on the trailer.
But it sound of he can use a v-6 or v-8 truck.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I agreen then if this is tow capacity. 1/2 ton is sufficient.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:
1 ton dually.

Jim

Am I the only one that thought this was a joke - and a funny one?

I just thought it silly. there are many on this forum who can't get groceries with out a ton truck. Now we see he just didn't understand the OP.
Some think you need to get a ton truck because you may some day in the far distant future get a larger TT. Again not needed. TT are getting lighter. The 31' TT that I now have is lighter than the 27' TT I had befor it. Tow them both with the same truck.

Both ideas wrong.

Agree...nothing wrong with using an appropriate tool for the job.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~