cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting video

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone familiar with this? So far, I really like it.

click here for video
12 REPLIES 12

Inconceivable
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
"Trailer" does not include a cargo extension

RCW 46.04.094
Cargo extension.
"Cargo extension" means a device that connects to the left and right side of a motor home or travel trailer frame and (1) becomes part of the frame, (2) does not pivot on a hitch, and (3) has an axle with two wheels, acting as a tag axle, to safely carry the weight of the cargo.

Seems to me that these two quotes describe the swivel wheel cargo trailer (at least the double wheel model)almost to a "T" and therefore would probably be legal in you state.
***Link Removed***
Barney

I checked in with them and the Swivelwheel 58DW was "designed to avoid double tow laws", good news for me in Washington State and I suspect I will be ordering one of these over the safety hitch or tow all type of setup due to cost. I do like the safety factor of the extra brakes though.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Trailer" does not include a cargo extension

RCW 46.04.094
Cargo extension.
"Cargo extension" means a device that connects to the left and right side of a motor home or travel trailer frame and (1) becomes part of the frame, (2) does not pivot on a hitch, and (3) has an axle with two wheels, acting as a tag axle, to safely carry the weight of the cargo.

Seems to me that these two quotes describe the swivel wheel cargo trailer (at least the double wheel model)almost to a "T" and therefore would probably be legal in you state.
Swivel wheel trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Inconceivable
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading up on this as a possible solution to my problem. I have a Montana TT (35ft) and haul my two street legal dirt bikes in the truck (07 GMC 3500 4X4 Dually). The wife and I want to upgrade to Fifth wheel and the wife hates the toy haulers as she like the rear living setup with all windows in the rear.

So I have looked at hydralift and other lifts but this would just cause problems with frame and weight issues even though both bikes together are just a little over 500 pounds.

Looked at the swivel wheel and others but everyone says its illegal in Washington State (double tow). Sent e-mail to Safety Hitch asking to provide documentation that it is legal in Washington (waiting for reply).

So anyone in Washington State using a Safety Hitch or a Swivel wheel type device to haul two dirt bikes? Here is what I pulled off the State Site for rules.

RCW 46.04.620
Trailer.
"Trailer" includes every vehicle without motive power designed for being drawn by or used in conjunction with a motor vehicle constructed so that no appreciable part of its weight rests upon or is carried by such motor vehicle, but does not include a municipal transit vehicle, or any portion thereof. "Trailer" does not include a cargo extension

RCW 46.04.094
Cargo extension.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Those aren't "safety chains" they're structural.

But really, this is NOTHING NEW. Anyone remember the Hitch Hog? Anyone remember the Safety Hitch?

Everything old is new again.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Just some thoughts on an interesting solution to towing a Fiver or much larger trailer than 'that' TV is rated for...

Wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup?

Storage of that thing...won't fit in my garage plus the other vehicles

Think many with CUV's will buy this to tow Fivers...forgetting that their GCWR will be exceeded...

IMHO, think those chains are to keep it in line while those its steering tires try to track the TV forwards and most likely the main reason is going in reverse

IMHO, Rube Goldberg would have thought this such a cool design...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
TOW ALL!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blacklane wrote:
snip... I was wondering "What's up with the load binders on the safety chains?" Obviously, there was some instability that had to be corrected by tightening the safety chains.

snip...

I suspect those binders were to keep the dolly from tearing off the receiver from the suv. There has to be a terrific amount of lateral, left to right, force on the receiver from that dolly. The chains would spread that force out and keep the receiver from being twisted off the tow vehicle. At least that is how I see it.
I agree with the others here. I would not tow with a suv.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd like to see a demonstration of actually backing the fifth wheel into a typical camp site. Sure - you can back it up in a huge parking lot.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to know it's towing capacities. Looks expensive too.

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it was a little painful to watch, but I can look past that. I was wondering "What's up with the load binders on the safety chains?" Obviously, there was some instability that had to be corrected by tightening the safety chains.

I also wondered how often this device would make economic sense. It looks complex and expensive, so maybe a mid-range SUV plus a TOW ALL would cost as much as a bigger tow vehicle with more power.

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Watched about 6 minutes of the video, which is about how long the video should have been if he talked at a normal pace. Too many quaaludes? Seriously, interesting enough, but I still don't think I'd pull a fifth wheel with an SUV.

Ha! My thoughts exactly. SUV??? What the heck?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Watched about 6 minutes of the video, which is about how long the video should have been if he talked at a normal pace. Too many quaaludes? Seriously, interesting enough, but I still don't think I'd pull a fifth wheel with an SUV.