cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is installing a hitch receiver a reasonable DIY job?

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new toy hauler, and we're pushing up against the limits on tongue weight for our current hitch receiver, so we're planning to upgrade it. I found one that says no drilling required; bolts should match up with the holes that are already there...any reason we can't install it ourselves? My husband is reasonably handy in a general sort of way but without much experience working on cars specifically...but my brother, who does have a lot of experience with that, will be here to help. Husband's nervous about it, since the consequence of messing it up would be losing the trailer on the highway somewhere....but it sounds like a pretty straightforward job to me. Thoughts?
Camping with 4 boys and 3 dogs in a Jayco Octane Superlite 272
Blogging at Boxy Colonial on the Road
33 REPLIES 33

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
E350 us super easy to install a hitch onto. Some heavier hitches do require drilling two extra holes (the front two) but even that isn't too bad, using a good bit and lots of oil.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese 12000 hitch we took off of our 03 ford E350 van. Bolted on with same holes as factory 10000 hitch. It's yours for free. Tried to sell it but shipping was killer. PM me if interested, up here in Jefferson, ga. Moderator not selling, just trying to help another member.
'
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
I know etrailer.com has a lot of installation videos that may my helpful

Dan

I've been on there a lot lately, but I haven't watched the videos yet--we'll take a look!

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
tmm2good wrote:
kokotg wrote:
MFL wrote:
You should have no problem swapping the receivers. It is pretty straight forward, just follow torque instructions to keep it secure. Best be sure tow vehicle is up to the capability, to match the new receiver. There may have been a reason it had a light duty set up.

Happy wrenching,
Jerry

Trailer has a heavy hitch since it's a toy hauler....It's 7000 pounds dry, and our van's tow capacity is 10,000 pounds (which is right at the max weight of the new trailer, but we'll never come close to that; the main "toys" we're going to haul are bikes and maybe kayaks--we figure we'll top out at maybe 8500 or for a long trip). Current hitch receiver is only rated for 1000 pounds, and Jayco lists the dry hitch weight at 985.

If you are only carrying light weight toys in your toy hauler, your hitch weight is going to be easily 1K lbs. There is a reason your van has a lighter weight hitch on it. What is the payload capacity of your van? and how much "stuff" do you carry in the van before throwing 1000 lbs on the receiver hitch? Just wondering..

Payload capacity is just over 2700 pounds, and we don't pack anything in the van except us (there are a lot of us; two adults, two teenagers, one tween, and a preschooler....hence the van for towing) and 3 small dogs (they weigh about 60 pounds altogether). the dogs are the only thing past the rear axle. Van is a Ford e350 V10.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I know etrailer.com has a lot of installation videos that may my helpful

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Simple to do. The critical thing is making sure the bolts are correctly torqued before using it. If there's not a suitable torque wrench available, install it with the bolts good and snug, then take it to a pro who does have one for final tightening.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
kokotg wrote:
MFL wrote:
You should have no problem swapping the receivers. It is pretty straight forward, just follow torque instructions to keep it secure. Best be sure tow vehicle is up to the capability, to match the new receiver. There may have been a reason it had a light duty set up.

Happy wrenching,
Jerry

Trailer has a heavy hitch since it's a toy hauler....It's 7000 pounds dry, and our van's tow capacity is 10,000 pounds (which is right at the max weight of the new trailer, but we'll never come close to that; the main "toys" we're going to haul are bikes and maybe kayaks--we figure we'll top out at maybe 8500 or for a long trip). Current hitch receiver is only rated for 1000 pounds, and Jayco lists the dry hitch weight at 985.

If you are only carrying light weight toys in your toy hauler, your hitch weight is going to be easily 1K lbs. There is a reason your van has a lighter weight hitch on it. What is the payload capacity of your van? and how much "stuff" do you carry in the van before throwing 1000 lbs on the receiver hitch? Just wondering..
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a B&W hitch on my truck.
Its a three piece bolt together design.
Made the install much more simple.
1,600lb tongue, 16,000lb trailer.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/receiver-hitches/16k-heavy-duty-receiver-hitch
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
kokotg wrote:
MFL wrote:

Happy wrenching,
Jerry

I can promise you, you will be closer to 9k lbs loaded for a trip! 12.5% of that would be around 1125 properly loaded tongue weight.
So yes get a hitch rated for around 12k/1200 and you will be good.
And yes it is easy. With 2 people even easier. If you can loosen and tighten bolts you will have no problem. I would maybe also have a MAP gas torch handy for stubborn rusty bolts!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bedlam
Using 6-point sockets and a 1/2" impact wrench makes quick work of it. If you do not have an impact, make sure you have a long breaker bar and long enough extensions to swing the breaker. The hardest part will be getting the old receiver off the truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not very handy but I have installed my own hitches a couple of times. It was not difficult at all. The last one I even did by myself, using a jack stand to hold up one side while I started a bolt on the other side. A torque wrench is advisable.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone! I'll check and make sure my brother has the right tools to bring along; sounds like they should be able to handle it no problem.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, just have a good heavy torque wrench so you can torque the bolts to spec. I've installed hitches and fifth wheel rails myself and the former is easier.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I've installed a couple of receivers and they are not difficult. I found the hardest part was lifting it into position to get the bolts started as they are a little heavy. An auto jack on rollers really helped.

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
It's as straight forward as it gets. Unbolt the old receiver, drop it down out of the way. Bolt the new one back in its place. Bolt pattern should match just fine just make sure the hitch you buy is for your vehicle.