cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jump-n-Carry as RV Power Source

mighty7sd
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a Jump-n-Carry 1700A 12V starter. The main use case is to jump start my truck if needed, but I also plan to use it to power my DC air compressor for my trailer tires since the cord isn't long enough if I plug it into my truck. It the occurred to me that I might be able to use this to power my trailer in a pinch. Would that work since it is really designed to provide a huge current to jump a truck? If usable, would I want to hook it up with or without the battery? I've seen dealers hook up some sort of portable battery, but I have no idea what they use.
2010 Chevy 2500 CC 4x4, Pullrite Superglide Autoslide
2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS
10 REPLIES 10

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years back I had a TT with a single battery and I liked to dry camp once and awhile. I just needed the battery for lights and this was back before LED bulbs.

I had a voltage gauge in the TT and after a couple of days I when I noticed that the voltage started to drop off a bit I would clamp one of these car booster packs onto to the posts of my TT battery. (I had purchased the booster pack at Wall Mart for just a few bucks.)

It would bring the voltage back up and allow me to go a extra night camping.

I only did that for one summer so I have no idea how long that would have lasted. But, for that one summer it worked out for me.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and have used it during a power outage to power my tv and antenna booster. It worked fine and lasted about 4 hours, with no chance of killing my single group 24 house battery.
That was about 2 years ago. The battery is starting to show signs of getting old,but it also occasionally gets used to jump start my tractor or an occasional truck.
Yes it will run my 12 volt air compressor.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Booster boxes are not intended to be deep cycled. Very expensive per amp-hour of capacity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Your best solution would be to get batteries and a disconnect switch that meet your needs, not relying on that small jump start battery to patch a problem.

If you're worried about your truck's battery, carry a set of jumper cables to connect to your good trailer 12V system.

For the air compressor, buy wire and a connector that works with your compressor. You can also modify the compressor wires so that they reach a longer distance. Those options are all much less expense than the jump-start pack. Of course it's less convenient, taking the time and expense (a few dollars) to lengthen the wires than buying the jump pack.

For $160, I could buy two new deep cycle batteries, a disconnect switch, and the wiring to connect it all. Just saying.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mighty7sd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'd best disconnect the battery before hooking this up, and only hope to operate the slides and lights in a pinch.
2010 Chevy 2500 CC 4x4, Pullrite Superglide Autoslide
2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mighty7sd wrote:
It the occurred to me that I might be able to use this to power my trailer in a pinch.

Not for long ... go here and you'll see in the Q&A section that this jump starter has a 22 AH rated battery, though there's no indication that's referenced to the most common 20 HR rate. By comparison a G27 deep cycle battery 20 HR rate is ~ 100 AH.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have purchased similar units over the years and for their intended purposes they perform fine. Sure it could power the lights or other 12 Vdc items within your rig although it would be limited depending on the size and output of battery contained within the unit. I've seen dealers use these mostly to power lights within a rig when shooting videos and/or showing a rig to prospective customers.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always had one of those back in my Tent camping days. Pretty neat to have around for sure... The one I had also had an air pump built-in...

I guess I probably got a year out of them then the battery won't hold its charge anymore... Never tried to locate a replacement battery haha... I probably have three of those yellow models laying around here somewhere...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They have a very small battery inside. The same one that is used in those emergency lights you find at work.
It wouldn't last very long.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen dealers use these to put slides in and out before when there is no battery or power. I would guess they can't do too much with it though before it runs flat. I would unhook the batteries before trying it or the batteries will drain the jumper first

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR