cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lock em up... a long story

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We recently moved to Payson AZ, a small town {20K folks} that sits at 5,000' 75 miles north of Phoenix. One of the many reasons we made the move last year was the friendly small town vibe and very little reported crime. Most of the homes in our neighborhood sit on large {half acre+} parcels and just about everyone has a trailer {utility, travel, fiver, boat etc.} and or a motorhome,
and or an ATV/UTV.

My neighbor from across the street parks his 20' TT on my neighbor to the south's property as there is lots of room. His trailer is just about 25' from the south wall of our house and well over 100' back from the street out front. When snow damaged trees appeared to be threatening the location of the trailer I expressed my concern and he and his kids did a great job of trimming the broken limbs back saving his trailer from probable damage.

About a week later he showed up my door looking none too pleased... someone had stolen his trailer the previous night and he was hoping my security cameras might have picked up the miscreants in action. Unfortunately my Blink Security system cameras, all 6 of them, provide full coverage of my house and property except... you guessed it, the property to the south to include his trailer.

Two days before the theft I was out in the north driveway splitting some wood for the evening fire when a large gray pickup with several tires piled in the bed and a couple of red gas cans pulled several lengths down my driveway from the street. I immediately walked down and asked "Can I help you?" There was a couple in the truck and the guy got out and explained they had lost their dog, a 70# Black Lab and were going door to door hoping someone had seen it. He said he had knocked on my neighbor to the south's door with no response and I told him the elderly gent that lived there won't hear you knock and his doorbell is broken.

In hindsight methinks I may have overshared but being a dog guy I was concerned for the lost doggie offering to take my Rzr SXS and go searching for him in the morning. I got her name and phone number and wished them luck. The trailer was in plain site from anyone coming to the neighbors door and was wrapped in nice new full cover.

Upon discovering this trailer missing my neighbor went door to door and the local police were soon on scene taking their report. I mentioned the truck I'd seen and they perked up. I got them the phone number and provided the best description I could. The next morning my neighbor placed a post on Facebook about his stolen trailer and after a lot of activity he got a call from a lady in Glendale who had seen the truck and trailer on her street {where parking trailers are prohibited} and she called my neighbor. He had her send pics and sure enough it was his trailer and and the same gray pickup I had seen. The Glendale police were notified and quickly on scene.

He will be getting it back eventually, no word yet as to the person or persons who took it and yes boys and girls he will be going out to buy a hitch lock and probably some additional security devices. Evidently the thieves just backed up, hooked up and rolled out probably in a matter of mere minutes.

I used to leave our Class C sitting unlocked in our driveway.... but not anymore. We close our gates every night but have learned my lesson and will step up my admittedly lax security posture.

Lock em up folks.

:C
54 REPLIES 54

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Yeah, don't be sharing information about neighbors. I also learned to take out my phone and take pictures of vehicles and drivers/people in them when they are going around trying to sealcoat your driveway or sell anything or other gypsy BS scams. I don't care if it's not polite, they leave pretty quick when the camera comes out. Never believe BS lost dog stories or other garbage from strangers.

This was my first thought... I'd be pretty annoyed if my neighbor told a random person driving down my street that I wasn't home (or in this case, hard of hearing).
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jarlaxle wrote:
Pretty sure you can pull the SIM card, wipe the phone, and then it's useable.

No, most manufacturers can flag the IMEI so that it is essentially a brick.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Oh, and lol to whomever thinks RV thefts are predominantly for joy rides!

Thatโ€™s the โ€œhereโ€™s your signโ€ post of the week!

That's not what I said. I used the term "joy ride" to designate the level of thief. Most RV thieves are opportunists who come across an easy mark and steal. Just like most joy rides are opportunistic - they see the keys and the car and they go for it. The ride ends when they run out of fuel, or crash into something, then they grab what they can and take off.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oh, and lol to whomever thinks RV thefts are predominantly for joy rides!

Thatโ€™s the โ€œhereโ€™s your signโ€ post of the week!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good response spoon.
Thanks to DC for sharing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
trailernovice wrote:
I am curious: What's the point? is there truly a market for used/stolen travel trailers?

Some people steal just to steal. I remember about 15 years ago the big thing in my area was robbing people of their cell phones. There is zero market for a stolen cell phone, because the victim can report the theft and the carrier can remotely disable the phone. That didn't matter, criminals gotta criminal. They'd steal them for sport.

Pretty sure you can pull the SIM card, wipe the phone, and then it's useable.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailernovice wrote:
I am curious: What's the point? is there truly a market for used/stolen travel trailers?

Some people steal just to steal. I remember about 15 years ago the big thing in my area was robbing people of their cell phones. There is zero market for a stolen cell phone, because the victim can report the theft and the carrier can remotely disable the phone. That didn't matter, criminals gotta criminal. They'd steal them for sport.

An RV... if you have a piece of land and want a semi permanent trailer, why not steal one. Steal it, drive it 30 miles away (before the owner knows its stolen) and park it on your land and remove the tag (because its "permanent" now). The odds that a cop will take notice of it and have a legal reason to get close enough to verify the VIN are ridiculously low. When the trailer gets too decrepit, haul it out and dump it a couple miles away and steal another.

I'm guessing it doesn't happen often, but it could. More likely is stealing items of value from inside (battery, fridge, AC, heater, fuel, tv, radio, etc) and selling those items.

As many have mentioned, meth lab.

Or, just criminals being criminals. Joy rides and what not. I've been a cop for 19+ years... I don't think I've ever run the tags of a single RV. Very few stolen in my area, so I don't even think about it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, don't be sharing information about neighbors. I also learned to take out my phone and take pictures of vehicles and drivers/people in them when they are going around trying to sealcoat your driveway or sell anything or other gypsy BS scams. I don't care if it's not polite, they leave pretty quick when the camera comes out. Never believe BS lost dog stories or other garbage from strangers.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe buy him a hitch lock.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
Small town? I just did a VA survey that classified my town, 1200-1500, as rural/frontier.

I lived in San Diego for 50 years {except the 3 I gave the Army, 69 - 72} and then retired to Tucson for the last 14+ years. Yep, Payson is small town to me. The local joke is that no matter where you are in town you can drive in any direction and after 2 miles you are not in Payson any more. Works for me.

:C

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Small town? I just did a VA survey that classified my town, 1200-1500, as rural/frontier.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
TOne class of criminal loves mobile housing.. They set up their labs inside and "COOK" illegal stuff,.. They move often so that the neighbors do not get suspicious.'
That was a TV show, but I wonder how often it really happens.

When my motorhome was stolen, they moved it a few blocks away. They then took the AGM battery and replaced it with an old cheapie, siphoned out the gas (cut the intake hose to do so, but didn't realize there was a second tank), took everything out of it and then "sold" it to some loser. Either the loser or the thief used it for no more than 24 hours. They were gone when the police recovered it.

I suspect most do that - steal it, use it for a short time and then walk away. To keep it longer risks getting busted. And they won't vother refilling tanks, emptying tanks or recharging - so they will walk away when they run out.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
TOne class of criminal loves mobile housing.. They set up their labs inside and "COOK" illegal stuff,.. They move often so that the neighbors do not get suspicious.'
That was a TV show, but I wonder how often it really happens.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailers are a bit more difficult to recover but there is hope for your neighbor... Thing is once it's recovered he may not wish to go near it..

One class of criminal loves mobile housing.. They set up their labs inside and "COOK" illegal stuff,.. They move often so that the neighbors do not get suspicious.'

Problem.. the residue of their operation..... TOXIC
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellem wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
kellem wrote:
Bizarre story, thanks for sharing.
Not sure how thieves have a chance today with most homeowners and businesses sporting security cameras.

I would suggest to your neighbor to also join the masses and install cameras.

Security cameras don't prevent crime - they just hopefully provide proof to prosecute the criminals after the crime.

My cameras have sirens that can be enabled while sleeping or away.....that would be discouraging to a thief. Imo

I've seen ring videos where none of that stopped the thief from a quick grab and run.