cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magic Chef refrigerator freezer

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a residential Magic Chef refrigerator a couple of years ago and all has been great until now. The RV is stored in my garage and it's 24 degrees outside. The RV is plugged in and has power. The lights come in the fridge. We had a turkey in the freezer for a month or so and I just went out to get it. The bag it was in was wet and there's moisture in the bottom of the freezer. The turkey is somewhat thawed out. Do you think this cold weather has somehow confused the fridge and it's in some kind of defrost cycle? I could have set the turkey on the workbench and it would have been frozen. We've been below 32 for a week or better. The RV is 24 degrees inside! Turkey is going in the trash!
3 REPLIES 3

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I've learned something. I didn't think I'd have to worry about the freezer when it's 24 degrees outside but I guess I do. A guy sent me to this link that explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZbJZ5fBqQ4

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Unit reads the refrigerator temperature... So you need the surrounding ambient temperature to be maybe 10 higher than the refrigerator set point.

Likely nothing wrong with the fridge, it's just never felt the need to run.

Turn it off and dry it out.

Freezing temp for a factory processed turkey is 18F or below, I think Uncle Sam says 0F?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
The refer was fooled into thinking that it's cold enough so since the outside air temp was colder than the inside the refer air temp it shut down. Nothing to worry about, just put your frozen items in an insulated bin and set it outside the refer.

As far as the turkey goes, if it's still frozen a bit, just rinse it off with water, than give it the sniff test. If it passed that, I'd go ahead and cook it and see what one taste tells me.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.