cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mail forwarding out of the USA

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have a suggestion for a mail forwarding company that forwards mail out of the United States? Dominican Republic, to be exact.
Thanks in advance.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack
12 REPLIES 12

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing to consider. It is either the one in Miami that does it all the time OR some outfit that will try and fail.
This is the reality of living in the DR!
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic responses. Thank you, all.
I'm asking for a friend who moved to the DR. He did say that postal service was sparse to none. I thought I'd help him out and see what ya'all had to say. I guess there's a bit to consider.
Personally, I could travel around the good ol' US of A for the rest of my life, and never see it all. I hate hotels and commercial airlines.
Again, thanks for the info.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Wow that's pretty cool! I've heard the DR isn't safe outside of the big resorts, not sure how true that is?

Depends where you go and what time and with who.
I lived in the DR and never felt unsafe BUT I stayed out of known BAD areas and I did not show signs of wealth. These are the same precautions you would have to take in any city in the U.S.
I do miss my Dominican friends and eating CHIVO

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow that's pretty cool! I've heard the DR isn't safe outside of the big resorts, not sure how true that is?

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
How are you getting the TC down to the DR?

There is boat service to Puerto Rico from New Jersey and Miami that will take up to a diesel Pusher. Then a ferry with vehicle to Santo Domingo.

Transit time to San Juan is 5-7 days and you cannot go on the boat. San Juan to DR is 8-12 hours IIRC and you are on the boat with your camper but you have no access to your rig.

Did a 1986 custom Van that way.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
How are you getting the TC down to the DR?

RoadVenture
Explorer
Explorer
Many boaters use St Brendan's Isle

We've used them in the US when traveling and they are great. They offer a variety of options for dealing with your mail and definitely have experience with dealing with international mail.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all mail forwarding services can do what is needed in the DR. The mail service there and the delivery services are really poor to non-existent. You need a company that bypasses the usual services and does most of the work themselves.

IT IS A real third world country.

If you choose the wrong company your packages will end up at some airport waiting to clear customs. The airport may be 4-5 hours away and you have to go and pay propino to get your stuff. The ones that deal with the DR every day know how to avoid or minimize the problem. Since it is another country customs forms need to be filled out for every package. Some companies will not do that.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Several in South Dakota.

Try this one - Americas Mailbox

Any mail forwarding service should be able to do what you want.

~

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a place in Miami that does exactly what you need. I used them when I lived in Cabarete. I cannot remember the name right now. I will make a call and post in a little while.

EDIT

Place in Miami

I envy you.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
start reding: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=mail+to+domi&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS603US603&q=mail+to+dominican+republic&gs_l=hp..0.0j0i22i30l4.0.0.1.57207704...........0.GIqUmO5On2Q

two ways, one, have a friend get the mail and have them come down with your mail.
Two: hire a mail service, i.e. www.mydakotaaddress.com, and get your mail there and have the service mail it to you in DR.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would check with UPS.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker