cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medical Alert bracelet, necklace etc...

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Having some major surgery on the 30th. After it's all over I've been advised I should wear a medical alert device. Just wondering what others are using??

Looked at the MedicAlert and like it. Like the idea of something emt's are trained to look for and one 800 phone call gets them in touch with medical trained personnel who have all my medical data.

Also, looked at Key2Life. All med info on handy USB type bracelet, necklace, and other items. Worried somewhat if I lose it. Does have security so only certain items are seen by emt's (if they have computer handy, another worry) and need password to see other info.

Soooo, what are others using and recommend (or not). Thanks for any info this is somewhat new to me.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
6 REPLIES 6

KC8RXQ
Explorer
Explorer
I went to American Medical ID for a dog-tag type necklace and it's worked quite well for my needs. My son in a paramedic and recommended an application for my smartphone that the medical EMT's call ICE (In Case of Emergency). It allows me to input a lot of pertinent info along with contact names/numbers, meds, conditions, and my insurance info. I did have to pay for the app but it's the peace of mind that pleases me. There are a lot of software and hardware out there and you just have to make the selections that work for you.

Best regards,
Ed
Ed and Robin
Travelling buddies: Nina, Kit and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24, Ming Blue
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3.0L, V6

Yogi___Boo
Explorer
Explorer
I one time I needed the paramedics to call the 800# to get my list of meds they told me they were too busy to do that.....

I now have one that simply says : Pacemaker -model #, A-Fib & bradycardia and right side mastectomy and the my list of meds is in my wallet.

I bought my new one from Lauren's Hope and I also have gold heart charm that I can wear as a necklace that has the same information on it.

For what it's worth, I also signed DH and I up with Smart 911 so that the 911 operator can access my info. I don't know if out of town Smart911 works. It may be local.

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
I wear a Medic Alert bracelet. I like the clasp design - it is impossible to open by accident, but can be removed at need.

Just remember to update your file on-line when there are changes and review it before taking any trips.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
MedicAlert.org is a organization that was around when I was in pharmacy school. Yeah, a long time ago. My wife now wears a MedicAlert bracelet. I know from my years of experience with the Red Cross, and with EMTs, and from emergency rooms that the MedicAlert symbol is universally recognized. There are many medical tags on the market, but in my pharmacy I only gave out literature for MedicAlert, even though there is no profit in the referral.
Just my humble opinion.

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
I wear a medic alert and think it's the way to go. As earlier stated, can't beat the 800 number for ease of use and when seconds count...
Personally I don't think I'd trust my life to a USB device. It seems to me like there's too many things that could go wrong there. JMHO
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
LetsRV wrote:
Having some major surgery on the 30th. After it's all over I've been advised I should wear a medical alert device. Just wondering what others are using??

Looked at the MedicAlert and like it. Like the idea of something emt's are trained to look for and one 800 phone call gets them in touch with medical trained personnel who have all my medical data.

Also, looked at Key2Life. All med info on handy USB type bracelet, necklace, and other items. Worried somewhat if I lose it. Does have security so only certain items are seen by emt's (if they have computer handy, another worry) and need password to see other info.

Soooo, what are others using and recommend (or not). Thanks for any info this is somewhat new to me.

My opinion as an EMT/First responder, go for the one with the 1-800 #. While a lot of big city's do have computers in their rig, many smaller depts still do not. Which would render your USB bracelet useless. When running calls I always have my phone, as do many others I run with, It's much simpler for us too call a number and be put in direct communication with someone who has all your info at the ready!

Also, good luck on your surgery, I wish you the best and hope you have a speedy recovery!!
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)