cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal Detector owners

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the CG this week. While we were in the office, an older gentleman came in to check the lost and found. He had lost his wedding ring, pretty upset. The camp host took his name/address. She said that someone would come once in a while and use a metal detector to look for lost items. Someone else had lost a wedding ring in May. The host said that the metal detector guy had not been by this year, yet. If I had one, I would take it camping with us. Sounds like a good service, if anyone on the forum has one.
65 REPLIES 65

DKAvery
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello ... my first post!

I've also been considering purchasing a metal detector and hope y'all can give me some guidance.

I'd want one that could find gold (thoughts of gold nuggets I could make into a necklace dance through my head) but also other things like coins and old metal items long buried. I wasn't sure if there is a decent one that can do both. I could spend up to about $500 but I wouldn't want to go more.

Another concern is the weight of the machine .... I'm not a wimp but carrying around something a body builder might lift doesn't sound like fun, nor something taller than me.

Nor do I want to look like a total dweeb ... my family already think I'm a bit crazy to love camping and fishing and this might be enough to have them calling the county. If I can find the right machine, maybe a bit of spray paint and some rhinestones might make it look acceptable.

Any help would be appreciated!

kmykimi
Explorer
Explorer
$50 is enough for a metal detector? My Underground Gold Treasure Metal Detector with 3.5 Meters Depth cost me $318. A good metal detector is necessity for metal detecting.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
i've got the adapter and standard 1/8"??? stereo headphones but would like to go directly with a 1/4 inch one.
are beer tabs "good"?
bumpy

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me some of the guys over at the Friendly Metal Detecting forums say you can get the headphones you like and buy an adapter for them at Radio Shack.

Find anything good yet? 🙂

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
does anybody know where I can get a set of ear phones that have a 1/4 inch plug? would prefer Best Buy as I have gift card.
bumpy

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
I can tell you exactly why you need a permit in most state parks. It is kind of the reverse of dog walking.....
Lots of people get a hit and dig and then leave the hole for someone else to deal with.

Matt

maybe you could combine the two. walk the dog, dig a hole, park the dog over hole, fill in hole.
bumpy

Combine all three and get the dog to dig the hole.

Skip the detector, teach the dog to smell GOLD!
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

MelinProv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Mine Lab detector. Living in Arizona before, I used it all the time-not so much now here in Utah. Its paid for itself many times now.

Bheffington
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garrett ace 250, very good entry level detector that will find me metal. Always be sure to check the local and state regulations. We camp at a lot of state parks and metal detectors are often forbidden. If my kids want to go to a park or play ground, I take it along to give me something to do while they play. I usually end up with enough to by a drink on the way home. I don't expect to find anything of value, but I have found a gold ring.

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
That's what the rest of us envision, too 🙂 but it's overridden by the vision of some sweaty guy in cargo shorts and socks with sandals scooping holes in Mother's final resting place. Maybe someone left a small memento at the gravesite; a cross, a ring, even a hot wheels car for a child. Better to just leave it alone.

There are tons of great places to hunt. Homeowners' yards, parks and athletic field areas, farm fields where houses once stood, schoolyards, church yards, sidewalk strips, those little grassy islands in parking lots, beaches, boat docks, fairgrounds, old reunion or picnic grounds, ghost towns, cellar holes deep in the roads, old fence lines...there's no end to them. There are resources for historic maps of all kinds to see what was where back in the day. So even on days when the weather doesn't support dirt fishing, research can keep ya busy 🙂

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I wouldn't have known that cemeteries were off limits. Around here, there are some ancient ones, people jog, walk dogs, etc. I just envisioned people reaching into their pockets/purses for a handkerchief and dropping coins, etc. on the ground. Oh well, I learned something!

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no!:E Cemeteries are almost universally considered to be off limits within the metal detecting community.

Just as there are certain "good manners" in the RV world - not cutting thru others' sites, picking up your dog's poo, observing quiet hours, etc ., there are good manners in MDing, too. Like respecting others' property (getting permission before digging), filling your holes, removing your trash finds, and more. Digging in cemeteries would be like emptying your black tank in a parking lot :W

There are several online MDing forums where you can get great information; some of the manufacturers also have general info on their sites.

MDing is a great hobby and can be addictive especially if you enjoy history. Part of the fun is researching places to hunt. Those forums and sites can give a good start.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
received my Ace 150 two days ago. sort of neat. booklet covered 150 and 250 and sort of made me want a 250. possibly if I make use of it. I'm amazed how it differentiates between pull tabs, nickels, dimes, etc.

thanks for the suggestion.
bumpy

Bumpy, please keep us posted. I am also interested in this hobby, and would appreciate hearing your experiences! I was thinking an old- fashioned cemetary might be a good place to start.

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
A little heads up - go here for loads of good advice and information. These folks will tell you everything you need to know about detecting, your particular machine, getting permission to dig, how to perfect your plugs and fill in your holes, and the MDer's Code of Ethics. They'll help you out when the inevitable discouragement sets in LOL.

My piece of advice is to budget for a Garrett Pro Pointer. It will help you out immensely and give you more swing time and less sifting through dirt searching for that illusive target.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
received my Ace 150 two days ago. sort of neat. booklet covered 150 and 250 and sort of made me want a 250. possibly if I make use of it. I'm amazed how it differentiates between pull tabs, nickels, dimes, etc.

thanks for the suggestion.
bumpy

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Custer SP in Michigan bans metal detecting for a different reason. During WW II, the SP was an active army training center. The posibility of there being buried live munitions is very real. 😞