cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Red River, New Mexico

ColonelJ
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Red River, would like to go in summer time. Can a poor boy afford it. If you have been there tell me about it.

Thanks in advance
Colonel J.
9 REPLIES 9

ColonelJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Russ
Colonel J.

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
There are two nice RV parks in Red River, Red River RV Park and the River Ranch RV Park. I seem to remember RRRV at a little under $40/day. There are parks at Questa and Eagle Nest too. If you come into Red River from the East, be advised, Bobcat Pass is not for the faint of heart. There are about four miles of 6% grade and curves between the top and into Red River. It isn't bad but be sure your brakes are in good shape and an exhaust brake is a good idea too. An easier grade is to come in through Questa, North of Taos. We go to Red River every June and manage just fine. It's a fun place to visit; good restaurants, shopping, fishing and just relaxing.
Russ

ColonelJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info. I plan to go there next summer in a RV.
Colonel J.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Great area.Cimarron Canyon State Park is less than 30 miles from Red River and if nothing else make a great over night spot. Great scenery from there to Red River and it would be a shame to miss it by driving at night.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Red River is a very laid-back small town. Anyone would fit in perfectly! Lots of camping options.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jessjerr1831
Explorer
Explorer
Can let you know more soon. Relatives have rented a vacation home there and invited us to it. Never been there, never heard of it until they let us know their plans. Won't be taking the TT as there is supposed to be plenty of room. Once some place we do like to get out and explore.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
The Enchanted Circle scenic drive encompasses Taos, Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Red River and Questa. You'll find a number of forest service campgrounds just outside of Taos towards Angel Fire and a couple more between Red River and Questa.

Of course, there are full service commercial campgrounds in nearly all of these towns.

Personally, though, I'd go to the Wild Rivers Recreation Area, now part of the BLM's brand new and large Rio Grande del Norte National Monument. Wild Rivers has a campground and is located several miles outside of Questa. There you can peer into the two gorges formed by the Red River and the Rio Grande. Hike until you drop, do some world-class fishing (after a good hike), study the petroglyphs, see wildlife all over the place.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
I would want to just stay in the national forest CGs and then do some driving and hiking in the area, and those activities are plenty affordable.

Yep! A poorboy could enjoy the Red River area quite will by doing just that.

Never actually stayed near Red River only driven through years ago. But have researched site in Nat'l Forest & came up with several in the area which sounded good.

One would have to do a little checking in the more resort-like places to see how affordable they are. But the forest campsites are always more my cup of tea.

For more cultural diversion, Taos is a short drive away with plenty of museums & art galleries, restaurants & food vendors, other Drives & Attractions in the Area.

A day trip to Eagle Nest Area would be enjoyable. Actually, we did a day trip drive from Eagle Nest to Red River to see what was there.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to get to that area next summer myself. But then, I would want to just stay in the national forest CGs and then do some driving and hiking in the area, and those activities are plenty affordable.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point