cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mitsubishi Mirage, nice choice for a toad.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem that a lot of people don't even know about the little Mitsubishi Mirage. Having owned one for 18 months, I love it! 2015 Mirage ES ( CVT trans ). Out the door price $15,200 ( includes tax/title/plates ). I have read on the Mirage forum that people have bought the 5 speed model ( base of $12,995 ) for $10,500 at some dealers ( with rebates ). The base model is not a stripped down version either. Plenty of nice features that are extra on other brands. This was my first import, having been a GM guys for years. It's not quiet like my DeVille was, there is hi-way wind noise. It's a little rough riding as well. But I didn't buy it for those features, I bought it for it's gas mileage and the warranty. Now that the engine is broke in, I regularly get 50+ mpg driving 55mph. If I get low 40's, I get po'ed :). Advertised MPG was 44 at hiway speed. Best feature of all is the warranty. 5 year/60k miles main warranty and 10y/100k drive train. That's more realistic for someone like ourselves, who don't put a lot of mileage on our vehicles.

If I knew then that I was going to buy a class A, I would have gotten the 5 speed. I checked, and you can flat tow the 5 speed. Curb weight of the 5sp is 2,018 lbs. If your looking for a light weight toad, check it out. If you don't mind a used vehicle, you can buy the 2014's ( and 2015's for that matter ) with low miles, very cheap.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
7 REPLIES 7

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Jim, I don't see the Mitsubishi Mirage listed in the 2015 or 2016 dingy towing guide. Does your owners manual state otherwise?

I was going by what the dealer service manager told me. I couldn't find the answer in the owners manual specifically, so i have an email to Mitsubishi support sent. I'm supposed to hear back within a couple days ( tomorrow? ).
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
austingta wrote:
I know that years ago anything with a manual transmission was capable of being towed with the drive wheels on the ground. With today's advances in technology, is that no longer the case?

Actually, that never was the case. As indicated, it depends on lubrication. Many (if not most) manual transmissions are splash lubricated. In some of them, that splashing is done by the "cluster gear". That gear only rotates when the engine is running. When the engine is not running with the clutch engaged, the output shaft bearing is not being lubricated. Oh, yes, it may go many miles without damage, but it will eventually fail.
As always, the Owners Manual is the final authority. If it says NO to four down towing, it just might be prudent to believe it!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim, I don't see the Mitsubishi Mirage listed in the 2015 or 2016 dingy towing guide. Does your owners manual state otherwise?

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
austingta wrote:
I know that years ago anything with a manual transmission was capable of being towed with the drive wheels on the ground. With today's advances in technology, is that no longer the case?

YES that is no longer the case. It depends on the internal layout of the transmission. Some turn enough components when towed in neutral, to lube the transmission. Others don't.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
No, I don't work for Mitsubishi. Just an owner who likes his gas sipper.

And no, the CVT is not 4 down tow-able.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Your post sounds like you're a Mitsubishi dealer. :B

The CVT in not towable four down, correct?