Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mold?!

kyonu
Explorer
Explorer
Hey fellas,

So last month I had a large water leak behind the toilet that I was able to fix. It was so bad you could feel sloshy wetness all around the bed frame in the bedroom. We have since repaired the leak and the carpet has been dry.

BUT, my girlfriend keeps getting really bad allergies which are quickly alleviated when she steps outside (and she is very sensitive, so being outside as a reprieve must mean something). This tells me that there is something IN the RV causing problems. I am assuming this is a mold problem underneath the carpet where the water was, and possibly the wooded areas where the water came from.

How would I go about looking at this? I live in it, and don't have the money to get a place to live for weeks while Camping World (only reputable place near me) fixes it. Even then I've heard some damning things about their "repair" crew.

Please help! I need to know what I can do. I am a DIY'er so can fix many things, just need a start. Should I rip up the carpet and scrub-a-dub dub? Should I burn it to the ground? This is infuriating, and the two air purifiers (each rated for a large room) can't even cleanse the whole RV.

Thanks in advance!
23 REPLIES 23

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Insulation under floor and inside walls may still be wet. You should have taken steps immediately to open everything up and dry it out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Mold will grow in the humidifier too. Here in the desert most mold found in the air in a house is from the desert coolers, especially if the filters are not changed. Speaking of filters check your AC and or heater filters if you have been running them while there was mold in the air.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

kyonu
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
What other things could cause this? Are you using any un vented heater or Candles? I remember when you repaired the water leak and you haven't been living in it very long have you? Just trying to start at the beginning of the story.

Been living in it since the beginning of January this year. No candles, and don't use propane (on shore power, used an electric heating device through the rough winter passes, but it's warm outside for good now (in Texas)). We do have a humidifier, but we keep it at 50% humidity maximum which isn't even enough to accumulate on the windows.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Take the carpet out and pitch it. Clean all of any wood that has been wet with a bleach solution or Lysol Original Cleaner. Install your preference of flooring after it drys.

A mold test doesn't fit the situation, here. FWIW, a mold spore may take 8 hrs. to fall from ceiling to floor. In that time, you can remediate the mold. There may also be some off-gassing from rotten wood or deteriorating glue. It may be that a fast drying paint/sealer would help with that. Shellac dries in minutes.

Good luck on the repair. Oh btw, you may wish to get a deodorizing sponge/brick after your work is done. It's amazing how even a small odor can throw off someone sensitive to mold/chemicals.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

kyonu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice guys! I was hoping to not have to rip up everything, but looks like I can't prevent it. I don't have time for a mold test unfortunately, so will probably get right to the scrubbing. The lady is suffering because of it (since she works from there), and it needs to get done... She has some family coming up tomorrow, so she will likely stay with them while I get the brunt of the work done after I get home.

Also, this is probably something that started before I bought the unit (which I am regretting because), as the leak stains appear to have been there before I bought the unit, I just didn't know what they were and the dealership said there were no leaks (of course, right?). Kinda got screwed there, but I don't think Xtraride covers leak damage, only the leaks themselves.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
What other things could cause this? Are you using any un vented heater or Candles? I remember when you repaired the water leak and you haven't been living in it very long have you? Just trying to start at the beginning of the story.

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
Step one is pulling up the carpet, for sure. Possibly other furniture and flooring once the carpet is up and you can see the extent of the problem.

One month probably isn't long enough for any structural decay to start, so clean with mold killing chemicals, treat with a preventative, then put everything back together. I'd probably throw out the carpet and replace while you're at it.

Finally, a top to bottom detailed scrup/shampoo of the whole interior to kill any spores that you stirred up while fixing the problem.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Before tearing it out you will need a way to get good ventilation in and out. You'll also need a mold rated respirator.
No way to live in it while mold work is going on.
You could pick up a mold test kit in the paint department of HD or similar. They are probably under $10. You may not wish to send to a lab for testing, but the amount of growth in the petri dish will confirm or deny the presence of mold. Afterb that, if you want, you can send it to the lab listed on the paper and for about $50 they will tell what kind of mold and in what amounts.
You can also PM questions if you want. I hold a FL mold remediators license.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say a total ripout of flooring is in order. Mold is serious stuff.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman