cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mosquitoes...the VA state bird

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our 5th year going to VA Beach for vacation. It's great and we always have such a good time. It's a great family experience. The skeeters are always bad...particularly last year. There were a couple nights where you just couldn't stand to be outside after dark. I realize there's not a ton to do but if anyone has any tips/tricks that work I'd love to hear them. We had so many chemicals on everyone last year I'm surprised someone didn't grow a 3rd arm. The chemicals really didn't help. Thought about maybe a screen room at least to eat outside in but I imagine with everyone going in and out it would only be a matter of time before it's filled with skeeters not too mention the extra space one takes up on the trip and time setting up and taking it down.
49 REPLIES 49

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
But does VA have Black Flies ? Skeeters are no fun unless you have Black Flies too. ๐Ÿ™‚

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried the Thermacell units?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to northern alberta but not alaska.......va skeeters are cut from the same cloth as the canada skeeters. Last year at va beach they mowed the field directly across from our site and that night there was a slight breeze blowing towards us across the field. It was unbearable. Spray or no spray they were biting and even in the wind they were biting. It really is the one issue that makes me want to look for a new family vacation spot. It's impossible to sit around the fire on most nights.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda doubt the mosquitos in Virginia are any match for those in Alaska.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in Hampton for 3 years, back in the early 1970s. Even with regular spraying by USAF C-123's the skeeters were bad. A local "tall tale" was that a Virginia mosquito landed at Langley AFB and the ramp crew pumped 75 gallons of JetA into it before they realized it wasn't an F-4.

We never did get used to the bugs and when Boeing called to see if I wanted to go back to my old job, we'd moved out in less than a week!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)