Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle Auctions, Las Vegas

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Another year, Las Vegas has its big motorcycle auctions,January 22-27
Over 1500 cycles are to be offered to me and you.
Every year more and more Japanese cycles and less Harly's, BSA's, Trumph's. I guess it is so hard to clean up the all the oil after pushing them up on stage.
I enjoy looking, but most Japanese cycles aren't what works in myJapanese collection.
About 80% of my collection are 0 mile cycles no matter how old they are.
So big a world, so little time to see.
44 REPLIES 44

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all know the OP is known for his trolling posts, but for the record, I don't think this was one of them. He's posted about the bike auctions before so this one is nothing new.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DUDE if you want to use OLD HD's for an example go ahead but at least state the FACTS.

My 09 HD ElectraGlide with 35k has ZERO oil leaks. OH and it starts EVERY time.

My 03 1100 V star at 30k does not leak but there is NO comparison to quality of build between the two. HD is far nicer bike.

It has to be at least pre-mid 1980's when Malcolm Forbes poured money into the company to be considered "old".

Remember AMF Harley?

"Buy a Harley, buy the best. Ride a mile walk the rest"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The OP is clearly a troll but for the record, I own two Harleys: a 2002 Ultra and a '74 Z90. The '74 leaks a lot. My wife's Harley is a '96 and doesn't leak but we did have to rebuild the engine this year after 270,000km. I often refer to our V-Twins as tractors. Know-it-alls have been postulating the demise of HD for many years.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
First thing I'd like to add, Harleys have come a long way from the oil leaks, and inferior electronics. I have owned a couple, one wouldn't start (kick start only). The next with electric start, much better. Both lacked performance, and required frequent tuning. To be fair, these were much older bikes than Ron's. I have to say the older ones were easier to work on, which made them popular with the backyard mechanics. If you like the sound, just enjoy an easy/relaxed ride the Harley works for many. The later models being much improved, and yes nice looking, are the pride and joy of many riders. My next bike may not be another sport bike, but the Yamaha FZ1, has been the most fun, trouble free bike that I have owned. I have had about 35 bikes, mostly Yamahas and Hondas, some of which were/are off/road only, all but one Yamaha dirt bike, were purchased new.

Ron...I wish you many years of enjoyable riding, and happy that you are enjoying your bike.

Jerry

Thanks!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
You prove my point perfectly when you say you had to replace the compensator on the HD. A known issue for umpteen years. I had to replace the one on my step-son's 2008 Street Glide, with many people complaining it didn't really fix the problem, just put a bandaid on it. This is a known issue, but HD took how many years to "fix" it. And don't forget the Big Twin cam oiling issues. These are engineering issues, not one-off problems. Then there is the chain tensioner issue and don't forget the "death wobble" due in part to the swing arm being rubber mounted with the frame. SMH.

As I said, HD has been making V-twins for 100 years and still can't get it right. After that many years, the only problems with an HD should be an assembly problem, not engineering problems. I don't care for the cruiser-type bikes, but HD does make the best looking ones IMO.

Mine is a 09, no death wobble. Totally new frame. The compensator was designed for the smaller engine. I installed the same part that was standard on the 10's, SE.

Chain tensioner? Mine looked perfect at 30k and was doing it's job.

Has my Harley left me with a no start? NO but the YAMI did with the stuck fuel pimp.

Big deal to replace!

HD fuel pump and filter are in the tank and EASY to replace.

I did a lot of research and for $9,500 and 23k on the odo I got a steal for a full dress bike.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of brand the main thing is you get out and enjoy riding.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
First thing I'd like to add, Harleys have come a long way from the oil leaks, and inferior electronics. I have owned a couple, one wouldn't start (kick start only). The next with electric start, much better. Both lacked performance, and required frequent tuning. To be fair, these were much older bikes than Ron's. I have to say the older ones were easier to work on, which made them popular with the backyard mechanics. If you like the sound, just enjoy an easy/relaxed ride the Harley works for many. The later models being much improved, and yes nice looking, are the pride and joy of many riders. My next bike may not be another sport bike, but the Yamaha FZ1, has been the most fun, trouble free bike that I have owned. I have had about 35 bikes, mostly Yamahas and Hondas, some of which were/are off/road only, all but one Yamaha dirt bike, were purchased new.

Ron...I wish you many years of enjoyable riding, and happy that you are enjoying your bike.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You prove my point perfectly when you say you had to replace the compensator on the HD. A known issue for umpteen years. I had to replace the one on my step-son's 2008 Street Glide, with many people complaining it didn't really fix the problem, just put a bandaid on it. This is a known issue, but HD took how many years to "fix" it. And don't forget the Big Twin cam oiling issues. These are engineering issues, not one-off problems. Then there is the chain tensioner issue and don't forget the "death wobble" due in part to the swing arm being rubber mounted with the frame. SMH.

As I said, HD has been making V-twins for 100 years and still can't get it right. After that many years, the only problems with an HD should be an assembly problem, not engineering problems. I don't care for the cruiser-type bikes, but HD does make the best looking ones IMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am simply comparing the TWO road bikes I have owned. The v star is a nice dependable bike, It is know to have issues as the nut that holds the driveline in place is known to come off with disastrous results. Preventative maintenance of "staking" the nut is advised. Fuel pumps that stick are another item.

I replaced the compensator on my HD, it was a very easy job. I would say the HD is an easier bike to work on between the two. For example I don't have to remove the exhaust on the HD to remove the oil filter as I have to on the V star.

The two models are oranges and apples but the parts, braking, handling and overall build the HD wins hands down.

MY opinion on owning these two bikes.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DUDE if you want to use OLD HD's for an example go ahead but at least state the FACTS.

My 03 1100 V star at 30k does not leak but there is NO comparison to quality of build between the two. HD is far nicer bike.
I've worked on both brands of bikes at one time or another. And you can only say the build quality of the HD is better than the Yamaha if you've never had to do any mechanical work on the HD. Superficially the paint quality and such may be look better, but the when it comes to mechanicals the Yamaha is far superior to the HD. The HD would feel right at home sitting next to a '49 John Deere tractor.

There's nothing wrong with liking what you ride, but saying the HD is better quality is just talking superficiality. HD uses a ages-old design with very little improvements over the years, and they still have issues with the engine and drivetrain. 100 years of making a V-twin and they still can't get it right.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from motorcycle auction in Las Vegas, only 5% of the cycles where Harley's, it looks like now there is millions of Harley parts bikes, as no one wants the old hogs any more. It will be hard on the oil bussiness when Harley folds. Japanese cycles don't leak. They sold a 0 mile 1988 Honda RC 30 for $121, 000 not bad for a cycle that sold ten years ago for $30,000.
They sold around 1800 cycles.
Mecum's are coming to Glendale, Az. March 14 about 5 miles from me.
So big a world, so little time to see.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
Have yet to see a motorcycle that fits the definition of an RV. Leave our Forum to RVers please!

Say what???
A motorcycle can't be a recreational vehicle?
After reading your other posts I can see you must be a favorite everywhere lol

MrWizard
I have 270# of motorized rolling steel on a carrier on the back of this RV
That particular scoot, went cross country and back, on the back of our dp, our previous RV, I don't have a Toad, many RV owners, don't have Toads, and carry cycles,
I have been carrying various size cycles or scoots, on RVs for over 20 yrs,
got my first one, a two stroke Bridgestone motorcycle, when I was 16 I'm now 71
I have never motorcycle camped, and I didn't get much riding done during my parenting years, but motorcycles large and small, have been a part of my life, and still are part of my RV life
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Riiiight, I'm going to buy a bike with a range of 110 miles, built by H-D, and cost $30,000. And makes a "futuristic noise". About the same time we have to watch out for falling pig poop.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"