cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycles and Tj wrangler on car hauler.

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Okay my current setup is a 35 ft 5th wheel toy hauler. Behind a 2011 drw Ram. 6.7 diesel Long bed. Was planning on trading in toy hauler for a truck camper. We want to have the jeep and an RV and I am not a fan of triple tow. Now planning 2017 road trip we want to have our motorcycles and Jeep with us.

Plan was to get between a 10-11 foot camper with one slide, then put jeep and bikes bikes on a car hauler. Bikes are a Harley low rider s and a sportster. So about 1100 pounds together. I current have a 16 foot car hauler but I don't think I can get both bikes on there with the jeep safely, so I was thinking about selling it and getting a 20 foot open hauler. I was planing on putting both bikes on the front of the trailer and jeep behind them.

I am aware I need a special hitch to extend past the camper, but wanted to ask if my plan sounds correct. What do you all think? It's a lot of moving parts I know. Thanks for your help.
22 REPLIES 22

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Might even look at an alum flatbed trailer, not much more $ but somewhat lighter and more carrying capacity, still make sure you get a 10K rating.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
FYI: My enclosed 20' trailer with dual 5200 lb torsion axles is over 3000 lbs empty. You will find that a quality 10K lb trailer doesn't just have heavier axles, but also a heavier frame. If shopping for an enclosed trailer, make sure door opening height clears your Jeep (you may need to order a 7' or 8' high model).

Trailer is a big Tex, I still had the cheap Chinese Tires on it. Also I only had a four inch drop hitch at the time so the trailer was running high, all that could have been a contributor..

I have decided I am going with a 20ft open equipment trailer that has two 5080 lb axles. They are $3500 new so not too bad. I will have that behind an Arctic Fox 992 and use a super truss to clear the camper. I am not that concerned with an enclosed trailer. Most the time it will only have the jeep on it. Jeep is a 97 TJ for now. Thank you everybody.

Pattle
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing something similar. I have a 24' 10k trailer. Motorcycle goes in the front, and either the Jeep or Silverado goes behind it. With the Silvy, I have just enough room for the bike and truck. With the Jeep I have lots of spare room. I needed two sets of D rings on the trailer deck to handle both. Also, I maxed out the trailer width to 102" and have drive over fenders. The truck is a wide prerunner. ๐Ÿ™‚

The tow rig is an F350 diesel dually with a Lance 992. I have the Supertruss extended hitch, along with air bags and StableLoads.

It was an expensive set up, but for me seemed the best way to haul the prerunner around and still have a place for the wife to nest, so I am happy and would do it again.

Bedlam
FYI: My enclosed 20' trailer with dual 5200 lb torsion axles is over 3000 lbs empty. You will find that a quality 10K lb trailer doesn't just have heavier axles, but also a heavier frame. If shopping for an enclosed trailer, make sure door opening height clears your Jeep (you may need to order a 7' or 8' high model).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Nwatkins176 wrote:
Moving the jeep back and fourth, how do I know when tounge weight is correct? Moving it around on the 16ft hardly makes a difference. Is that because the dually is empty and just the jeep and trailer is fairly a light load? Last summer we pulled the Jeep 2000 miles with it too far forward and I destroyed all four tires on the trailer. I don't want to test for correct tounge weight by going through trailer tires. Thank you

Its hard to think that a jeep loaded on a 16ft trailer would cause tire issues...I've pulled mini vans, jeeps and several different cars on a 16ft trailer with them pulled all the way to the front of the trailer and never had a tire or handling issue. With an average vehicle its pretty hard to mis-load a 16ft trailer. My guess is you might have been driving over the speed rating on the tires or they weren't in good shape to begin with. Now that's based on a factory built 16ft car trailer and not one someone built not knowing where to locate the axles. Based on the bikes you mentioned your going to be around 1250lbs for both of them. A jeep wrangler 4-door Unlimited is going to be in the 4100-4200lb range, 2 door being less weight so on a 7000K trailer your going to be near the max load rating of the trailer so you should look for a 20ft that rated at 10K. Weights were researched, rest just my opinion.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Nwatkins176 wrote:
Moving the jeep back and fourth, how do I know when tounge weight is correct? Moving it around on the 16ft hardly makes a difference. Is that because the dually is empty and just the jeep and trailer is fairly a light load? Last summer we pulled the Jeep 2000 miles with it too far forward and I destroyed all four tires on the trailer. I don't want to test for correct tounge weight by going through trailer tires. Thank you

Sherline trailer tongue weight scale.
http://sherline.com/product/sherline-trailer-tongue-weight-scale/
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
These are all great thoughts, that's why I came here. Thank you

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
I would go 16" wheels on the trailer and 12" brakes. With the 16" wheels you have more high quality tire options and the 12" brakes will stop much better.

I agree that a 16 foot deck won't work with the jeep. You will also need some room to dial in the weight distribution on the trailer. With the bikes up front, you might need some wiggle room for the jeep to make sure you don't put too much weight on the tongue.

I wonder if you will also benefit from looking for some specific axle placement arrangement that will work better with your intended load?

mikegt4
Explorer
Explorer
While you are weighing your Jeep, weigh your bikes as well. 1100 lbs. total would mean 550 lbs. each. HD hasn't made a 550 lb. bike in a long time, I would guess more like 750-800 lbs. each.

As others have said, I would go with a 9900# trailer of a length long enough to allow for moving the vehicles around to achieve a proper tongue loading.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the alum car haulers out there in the 20ft range. Load bikes sideways on the front, sporty first with jeep pulled not backed in behind them. With a truck camper you would be somewhat close to GAWR but I wouldn't be afraid of it with a dually...maybe put a set of bags on truck to help with running somewhat level. I've seen a could manufacturers out there building a flat bed car hauler with an enclosed box on the front of it for hauling a bike in.
2018 Raptor 428SP

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Get the proper hitch to work with the camper of your choice and tow away.
It'll be like pulling your fiver, long and heavy.
Options for hauling...personally I wouldn't want to haul a couple shiny hogs around all year on a open trailer.
To comfortably haul 2 big bikes and the jeep I'd be looking at 24' ish enclosed trailer.
Jeep is what 12-14' long, bikes are 8-10'. Find the minimum length you can old them front to back. You don't want to mess with having to side load or slant load them big bikes and figure out how to tie them down otherwise.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 20ft 9900lb trlr and hauled my 4dr wrangler and 2 motorcycles and 2 bicycles on it behind the mh. In my mind its the minimum that you would need.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please do not double post. I can move this thread to the Truck Camper forum if you wish and delete your new one.

The other option is to close this thread and I will make a post in your new thread over at the truck camper forum with a link to this thread. Let me know what you wish to do.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine