cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome Crash 5/11/2015

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.fox8live.com/story/29036795/dash-cam-video-motor-home-blows-tire-slides-on-side-across-i-10

This happened not far from here this morning. Watch the video. It happens extremely fast.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.
54 REPLIES 54

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
We passed the accident heading west after police had ariwed, did not look god but glad no one badly injured.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
johnnyrv wrote:
Restless Diesel wrote:
FWIW concerning the speed factor - Given that there's 40 feet for each dashed line and space on the lane divider, and I counted roughly 26 dashes passed in 11 seconds from the start of the clip until the MH veers, I estimate that the truck was doing very close to 65 mph.

astute observation. i think the police and insurance agents will factor that into their decision regarding fault finding.

Nah...they'll just look on the internet forums to find the cause.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Restless Diesel wrote:
FWIW concerning the speed factor - Given that there's 40 feet for each dashed line and space on the lane divider, and I counted roughly 26 dashes passed in 11 seconds from the start of the clip until the MH veers, I estimate that the truck was doing very close to 65 mph.

astute observation. i think the police and insurance agents will factor that into their decision regarding fault finding.

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
The concrete is not a drainage ditch. It is the bottom or base where the cable is installed. After looking at it again,it appears he shot through it but dragging it may have turned him slightly right a.bit especially when the last two cars passed on the other side. The cables weren't designed for that big of a vehicle but they may have helped to save a couple of lives
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely his lucky day. A beautiful rig destroyed but apparently no one badly hurt.

One of my two surviving aunts was hit head on not far from there 10 days ago when a small pick-up came across the median and those cable barriers. She's still in ICU and will probably never walk again.

Looking at the video frame by frame - the brake lights flash briefly, the right front drops at the same time as the MH starts to turn left. A large piece of a tire comes out from under the left side of the pickup after it is on the shoulder. The barrier turns the MH away from the opposite lanes. You can see posts being pulled from the ground and thrown in the air.

The barrier appears to be installed right at the bottom of the median near the drainage ditch.

At that point while traveling straight after crossing the concrete drainage ditch, the MH is pulling the cable along as it travels and right before it tips over, you can see a long section of the cable ripped out of the ground.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
GWolfe wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Scary to say the least! Hard to tell the speed from the vid, but it doesn't look excessive!

As a side note, not that it had anything to do with the accident.....did anyone else notice the toad? A full size ext can Chevy pick up!

Not that it matters but it was a Ram truck, come on Dodge Guy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad they were OK that looked like a scary ride.

Doh! :S how could I do that! Now I gotta turn in my Dodge card!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Without the cables, the nice bowl-shaped median grass may have guided him nicely, safely to a stop. Once the MH hit the cables, it rolled and that was the end of any steering. No way to know now.

Or he would have shot off into oncoming traffic at speed. Or a solid barrier would have shot him back into the path of the rig shooting the video. Too many variables. No one died. Success story in my opinion.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Me Again wrote:
mlh wrote:
There were cables that were recently installed that kept him from crossing into the other lanes. He did wind up sliding out blocking both lanes but you can't see it in the video.

Cables are noted to not stop cars and pickups from crossing over to the lanes going the other direction, and would have almost no effect on a vehicle this size and weight.

State of Washington recently removed the ineffective cables north of Everett on I-5 and installed Jersey barriers.

Chris

The article quotes the police as saying recently installed cables prevented him from shooting into the eastbound lanes, though it did ultimately come to rest in those lanes.

Without the cables, the nice bowl-shaped median grass may have guided him nicely, safely to a stop. Once the MH hit the cables, it rolled and that was the end of any steering. No way to know now.

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
dreeder wrote:
I was kind of thinking how fortunate that the oncoming traffic was that he kept it in the center median as well as he did.

Apparently there was a cable barrier, according to the article. Tough to see in the vid.

Ah thanks, I did miss that. Thank God it was there.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Does anyone have a story of a front tire blowout that actually ended well?

Tractor-trailer, about 78,000 Gross, just dropped out of the mountains on I-76 in PA, when the front left went flat really fast. Didn't actually "POP", but she dropped onto that front rim in a hurry. Thank God I was on flat, straight ground, not on the down-hill wiggly part.

I was in right lane, doing 70ish... she went immediately to the left lane, when I pulled her back she was heading on to the left shoulder. We wiggled thru both lanes and both shoulders before she became somewhat stearable at about 40mph or so. I never touched the brakes, and kept my foot "resting" on the throttle so the engine brakes stayed off.

Does this mean doing 40mph would have eliminated the temporary loss of control?? NO, absolutely not! Truck, RV or car....it will jerk the steering wheel, taking you where it wants to go, no matter what you do.

Ever been broad-sided by a heavy wind you were not expecting??? Ending up in another lane or on the shoulder, just applying pressure to the wheel and hoping it doesn't flip or continue off the road? Yeap----kinda like that. Except there was no WIND holding me left, so that trailer just did the "OH &#!@" wiggle, one would expect after it was suddenly whipped by an erratic left turn.

EDIT: Ooops, you said ended well? I did survive, only tinkled a little bit, but ....waiting 5-6 hours for someone to bring a new tire and rim was not WELL for me. Happened about 2-3 am, I think the boss went back to bed, called roadside after he awoke and had a cup of coffee (at 7:00 am). My appointment in Philly was for 6:00 am.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
samhain7 wrote:
I'm glad I finally know what a toad is....

But, did you know my MH is a TV? I still wonder about that one.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad I finally know what a toad is....
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also a great reason to never just ride beside a buss, or big truck. You will NEVER see me just riding beside a large vehicle. I get past them as fast as I can, OR I let them get past me. Riding beside one is NEVER a good idea. that is what the pedals are for
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Restless_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer