cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MS and camping

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
my son's best friend has had MS sinse early high school. It is to the point where he is wheelchair bound and can barly lift his arms. But he has the greatest attitude. Last year was his first year of camping. And we did it in tents. He loves it. This last weekend we went for our 3rd trip together. But with all the equipment needed to sustain him it is getting more difficult to go. Does anyone know of a trailer or motorhome that is wheelchair equiped. We all talked about a toyhauler. But it is primitive inside.

Please keep in mind that money is super tight.

Thank you for your patience, time and advice,
Dave
8 REPLIES 8

AccessONE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I've just bought a motorhome that's completely accessible! its made by Thor - Four winds, I'm not sure if they still make them though! yes it was higher in price than a toy hauler but WELL Worth the cash! Just a thought for the money, have a look at the Power Arm, they are a bit expensive but you can find them on ebay second hand in good nic! just make sure they will fit your application! I hope this helps? Good Luck, cheers, Anthony.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
"Were you able to put the wheelchair on the lift itself or did he stand on the platform? Try to figure out something for my wife."

At first I used a Mechanics chair for him to sit on while the lift went up and down. The mechanics chair allowed me to roll him inside the RV and then transfer him to the wheelchair or couch.

Eventually, I enlarged the platform a little and was able to use the wheelchair on the lift.

Our fifth wheel floor from the ground was too high but another option is to use a Hoyer Patient Lift. It allows the patient to be lifted in or out of a wheelchair in a sling. They can be transferred to a bed, vehicle or the wheelchair inside the RV provided the floor of the RV isn't too high. I used the Hoyer Lift to get him in the truck.

We found the Hoyer Lift on Craigslist for $300.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Some toyhaulers have very steep ramps which could be dangerous so check carefully before buying one.

There are a few companies that make accessible RVs. Winnebago is one but they're expensive so finding a used one would be your best option.
Try here - http://www.handicappedtravelclub.com/htc-classifieds/browse-categories/51/rvs-travel-trailers/

and here - http://www.disableddealer.com/item_search.asp?category=1020

Good luck! I hope you find one that will work for your son's friend.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
I aggree about the Toyhauler. I will share this info with him.

Thank you all for your ideas, experience and thoughts

Dave

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Some of the manufacturers offer RVs equipped for wheelchairs. But of course the price reflects the extras added to accomodate the wheelchair.

My Dad travelled with us, he became wheelchair bound over the years. I added a wheelchair lift to the side of our 5th wheel. He would sleep on the sofa sleeper and used a potty chair. I would take him into the RV Park restrooms for his showers. This is the lift that I installed:
http://www.burractuators.com/lifts/handy_lift.htm

A toyhauler is a good solution. The ramp makes entry and exit into the RV easy. The garage area can be equipped to meet his needs. There are some toy haulers that are just as lavish as high end MHs. The problem is that lavishness comes with a price.

The lowest cost solution would be to buy a good used toy hauler and upgrade it to meet his and your needs.

Were you able to put the wheelchair on the lift itself or did he stand on the platform? Try to figure out something for my wife.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the manufacturers offer RVs equipped for wheelchairs. But of course the price reflects the extras added to accomodate the wheelchair.

My Dad travelled with us, he became wheelchair bound over the years. I added a wheelchair lift to the side of our 5th wheel. He would sleep on the sofa sleeper and used a potty chair. I would take him into the RV Park restrooms for his showers. This is the lift that I installed:
http://www.burractuators.com/lifts/handy_lift.htm

A toyhauler is a good solution. The ramp makes entry and exit into the RV easy. The garage area can be equipped to meet his needs. There are some toy haulers that are just as lavish as high end MHs. The problem is that lavishness comes with a price.

The lowest cost solution would be to buy a good used toy hauler and upgrade it to meet his and your needs.

Bawugna
Explorer
Explorer
Ropdoc,

I have MS too. I am much older than the young person you are talking about (47) and was diagnosed in my 30s. I do not require any "equipment" yet and keep a great attitude about it all. While I do not have any tips and tricks for you, I am going to watch this thread closely to learn about what I might need to do in some distant future. The folks here are great and very willing to offer what they know.

mthockeydad
Explorer
Explorer
Rent a toyhauler for the weekend?

They're a bit more Spartan inside than some RV's, but less Spartan than a tent!