cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mud Flaps vs Brush Systems

jstaffon
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is in the right forum. If not, please let me know. I just bought a new 5th wheel and am looking at a mud flap or brush system to minimize rock damage before I tow it. Does anyone have suggestions of mud flaps vs brush systems? They're expensive....are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance!
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---
20 REPLIES 20

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Mud flaps in a heart beat. I have had both, no comparison. I prefer clear across the rear type on a swivel hitch.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I have had a fiver for several years. Other than a few very short trips down a RV park road, I've never found a reason to travel down a muddy road or one covered with rocks. The mudflaps behind the rear wheels of my truck work just fine, don't think I need anything else.

B.O.

You must not get out of the more populated areas much. Most of my county is gravel roads including the one I live on. Some of out local parks require you to go down a couple of miles of gravel.

I live on a gravel road and have the factory mud flaps on my truck. After about 5 years the front of any trailer is dented to heck. It sucks but, it is one of the trade offs for living in a rural / quiet area.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have a C class and tow a Suzuki behind, I installed a rigid mud flap on the bumper 2 inches from the ground, in the 15 years that I have towed no rocks have hit the front of the vehicle, had a rock hit the windshield from a truck that pulled out from a road construction section in san Antonio and slung a rock that hit the edge of the dingy windshield, had that replaced in SA.

I have noticed hat the skirts tend to lift up with the vehicle travelling down the road, that is why I installed the semi stiff "mud Flap" the whole length of the bumper.

navegator

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I install Gatorback on my truck and I am very happy with them.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't believe that you are over thinking the mud flaps. See my first post. My rig has never looked as good after that first experience with a gravel road in a construction zone.

alberta_camper1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folkss, for your recommendations and thoughts. Perhaps I am overthinking this and just over-zealous to make improvements to the trailer. A wait-and-see perspective is probably the best thing I can do.
Regards
Glen

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a truck stop and buy some big rig flaps.
I bought two hard plastic flaps,30"hx24"w, I cut them in half height wise to get four equal flaps and installed.

Truck was filthy in this pic, but you get the idea.

2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Rock Tamers and modified a hitch setup so the flaps actually are under the bumper and out of the way. Also, We went to Line-X and had the front of the 5th wheel coated---the part with the lift up door, just behind the truck tailgate. $450.00 and in matching color.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decent mudflaps that are low enough with weight of trailer on the truck but not so low that they will touch the ground on a bounce.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a fiver for several years. Other than a few very short trips down a RV park road, I've never found a reason to travel down a muddy road or one covered with rocks. The mudflaps behind the rear wheels of my truck work just fine, don't think I need anything else.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

alberta_camper1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Well, we just got our new 5'er home and now the mods are underway. First off, the grey/black water drain is slung in front of the axles and I fear prone to flying rocks from the truck, especially on gravel roads. I want to install some sort of mud flap just in front of the whole drain line so rocks/mud don't chip out the plastic line. I am thinking of an L-bracket about 4' long that I can bolt to the bottom of the trailer frame and hang either a tin strip or rubber mat or flap or belting (about 6" wide) from it. Have others adapted your trailer to protect the drain line? What's the best and easiest approach without overthinking this?
Thanks in advance
Glen

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
We mounted duraflaps, work and look great.

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I have these on my 2nd truck now, they protect your truck and the trailer also, plus they look a lot better than those receiver mount brushes. Duraflap

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I built a full-width mud flap that goes in my receiver, knocks down all the debris my duals throw out the back.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore