cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My state doesn't recognize my motor home

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
We recently 45 days ago to be exact purchased a MVP 19rbs. I've been waiting for the registration paper work to get the plates. Today I went to the county web site to see what I had to do to get extended temporary plates. I had to go back to the lender to find out what was going on. They stated that the state is not recognizing the manufacturer of the motor-home. Really? Granted they are no longer in business but to say my RV is non existent. I will be able to get another 45 day temp plate but after that; Hopefully it will be cleared up soon.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS
36 REPLIES 36

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
OK a you helpful RV'ers. I got the call today from the CU and all has been worked out. title work is in the mail to my house and the DW and I discussed using the $6.62 temp tag until Sept 13 th. Cause it's gonna b a chunk of change to get the registration LOL.You know the state wasn't going to miss out on their pay. Again thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Well, someone has to come up with the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, once DMV has that, they should be able to title it. Possible one of those dealers did not transfer it with the paperwork! And I don't know what you can do when the MCO is lost. Only the manufacturer can issue them. If the manufacturer is still operating, you should be okay cause they can reissue one.

Well, you could always have *someone* make up a new one, add a few bogus stamps on it and coerce someone else to very carefully insert it into the original book at the place of origin.

Then you could be President! :R :B LOL!

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
bob and donna wrote:
Wow. Now the question is do I take this info to the credit union for them to use. I'll wait a bit and if I don't hear anything before Sept 13.
Well, someone has to come up with the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, once DMV has that, they should be able to title it. Possible one of those dealers did not transfer it with the paperwork! And I don't know what you can do when the MCO is lost. Only the manufacturer can issue them. If the manufacturer is still operating, you should be okay cause they can reissue one.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Call your local Representative and go to his office. Here in PA they are quite helpful in these situations. I think a State Rep sending a letter pretty much conveys the "You have an idiot in your dept" message 😉

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
bob and donna wrote:
We recently 45 days ago to be exact purchased a MVP 19rbs. I've been waiting for the registration paper work to get the plates. Today I went to the county web site to see what I had to do to get extended temporary plates. I had to go back to the lender to find out what was going on. They stated that the state is not recognizing the manufacturer of the motor-home. Really? Granted they are no longer in business but to say my RV is non existent. I will be able to get another 45 day temp plate but after that; Hopefully it will be cleared up soon.

So, if the RV does not exist, tell the DMV that it is home-built, and you need a new State-Assigned VIN for it. When you get the new VIN, create a data plate with the new number, have it inspected by a law enforcement officer (remember to remove all the old VIN data plates that you can find, before the inspection), and go get a new title.
You now have a 2013 Bodandonna RV!

OK, just because I might get away with that here in Montana doesn't mean you can in your state. Something to think about, though...

Love your way of thinking.LOL!!!
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
charleygop wrote:
bob and donna wrote:

A little more info would be helpful. Was this motor home titled and licensed in another state? Was it "rebuilt" or altered in any way? Was it ever registered in the state of Florida? I ask because I am aware of a person who purchased a motor home from someone in Kentucky which was originally titled in Florida where it was "damaged" and repaired. Problem was there was an outfit that was committing insurance fraud and as a result, Florida voided all titles, including reconstructed ones, associated with the outfit which effectively made any vehicle owned by the outfit invalid. Apparently, some states do not issue titles for RVs, TTs, or other types of trailers so when you go to transfer in other states, a vehicle coming from such a state must have a certificate of origin or proof that it was once titled in another state. Well, it is my understanding that Kentucky either did not issue title at the time or was not reciprocal participant in some nation system so when he went to titled in Pennsylvania, it was discovered that it was one of the voided Florida vehicles. There is a little more to the story but this could be something similar if DMV is not recognizing the manufacture. Regardless, I hope you get your mess straighten out.

can't give any more info cause the CU didn't give any. not worried It'll get worked out. I'll just get temp paper until they do.
No it's never been titled. never sold expect between dealers. as the next post after yours states. 1 or2 year manufacture as the former company was not able to hold the investor from China, Chinese government would not allow the investor to move money out of the country to invest.
great little RV very nicely built . reason we bought was brand new never used. only 3700 miles when we got it. went under today to look after the 2800 ml. trip and all looked good. no leaks no runs no errors.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Now the question is do I take this info to the credit union for them to use. I'll wait a bit and if I don't hear anything before Sept 13.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:

Technically, it's a Ford truck carrying a MVP box.

http://www.rvingplanet.com/brands/mvp-rv/tahoe/motor-home-class-c/
But the final manufacturer, who issues the MCO and, or original title would be “MVP RV.”. That name, being a short lived manufacturer/orphan of Thor California, may not be in the particular state's data base, which is causing the problem.

Following is some information concerning titling and registrations of motorhomes from the RVIA.
"How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars?
Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages?
The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?
According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, the VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). The MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?
Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?
When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage
motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?
If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle
Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department."
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

charleygop
Explorer
Explorer
bob and donna wrote:

A little more info would be helpful. Was this motor home titled and licensed in another state? Was it "rebuilt" or altered in any way? Was it ever registered in the state of Florida? I ask because I am aware of a person who purchased a motor home from someone in Kentucky which was originally titled in Florida where it was "damaged" and repaired. Problem was there was an outfit that was committing insurance fraud and as a result, Florida voided all titles, including reconstructed ones, associated with the outfit which effectively made any vehicle owned by the outfit invalid. Apparently, some states do not issue titles for RVs, TTs, or other types of trailers so when you go to transfer in other states, a vehicle coming from such a state must have a certificate of origin or proof that it was once titled in another state. Well, it is my understanding that Kentucky either did not issue title at the time or was not reciprocal participant in some nation system so when he went to titled in Pennsylvania, it was discovered that it was one of the voided Florida vehicles. There is a little more to the story but this could be something similar if DMV is not recognizing the manufacture. Regardless, I hope you get your mess straighten out.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
bob and donna wrote:

So, if the RV does not exist, tell the DMV that it is home-built, and you need a new State-Assigned VIN for it. When you get the new VIN, create a data plate with the new number, have it inspected by a law enforcement officer (remember to remove all the old VIN data plates that you can find, before the inspection), and go get a new title.
You now have a 2013 Bodandonna RV!
OK, just because I might get away with that here in Montana doesn't mean you can in your state. Something to think about, though...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Although this doesn't directly address the OP's issue, the information might prove useful. I recently went to renew the plates on my 2012 Phaeton. The plates had been transferred from my previous coach, so no proof of insurance was necessary at the time. This time, I discovered that the insurance company had the body builder vin instead of the Freightliner vin on the card.

Guess what? No renewal until they match. BTW, even Tiffin uses the FL vin number for all their records. That's the number on my title also.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
well got another 30 day temp tag we'll see how this works out.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
daveor wrote:
my ex son in law and daughter bought a new truck in CA, licensed it in CA,, move to Oregon and got plates here, things didn't work out for them, he moved back to CA,, and before he could license it again in CA, had to pay the taxes on it again.

Yep CO does the exact same thing. I don't understand how they can but they do. In CO you can.t buy something in another "Cheaper" county and pay their sales tax. they check your address and charge up the tax of your county. Money makes the.....well you know.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
DMV's and vehicle licensing entities SUCK in general.
We've moved alot and get a different hassle in each state, the latest being AK wont isue me a drivers license because my SS card was laminated..........30 years ago! (When I was a kid, I got my card around 10 yrs old and laminated it so it would last). Have not had one single employer or DMV in 10 different states give me grief about it until here! 😞

Guess I'll never move to AK. I also laminated my card around that age.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS