cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My toad rear brakes wear out

rockinrollin
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2001 GMC Z-71 . I have to replace rear brake pads about every 5000 miles of towing. They are down to rivots then. Any one else have rear brake problems ?
Thanks for any input. I use ready brake
14 REPLIES 14

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
OK if the brakes are drums then they are not "PADS" they are brake shoes. A disc brake system uses pads and a drum brake system uses shoes.

Glad you got it worked out, what or how is the vehicles brake system actuated or applied?

Don

Different guy with "rock" in his name!
Pads/shoes I know the difference but a lot of people just call em all brake pads. Some prolly never seen drum brakes.
Looking into it, appears rear brake drag on those trucks is not uncommon.
As said above, sticky caliper, bad brake hoses are most likely he culprit. Followed by bad proportion ing valve or defective supplementary braking system.
That's why people trade in old cars....cause they don't know how to fix them

HAAHAHA didn't catch that! :S

I replaced all of the soft lines on my 04 and flushed the whole system 4 times over the ownership of that truck. Most people do not notice their vehicles brake pedal becoming soft. The reason is softening of the soft lines and brake fluid deteriorate and becomes moisture laden. This will rust your lines allow the fluid to boil under heavy braking.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
OK if the brakes are drums then they are not "PADS" they are brake shoes. A disc brake system uses pads and a drum brake system uses shoes.

Glad you got it worked out, what or how is the vehicles brake system actuated or applied?

Don

Different guy with "rock" in his name!
Pads/shoes I know the difference but a lot of people just call em all brake pads. Some prolly never seen drum brakes.
Looking into it, appears rear brake drag on those trucks is not uncommon.
As said above, sticky caliper, bad brake hoses are most likely he culprit. Followed by bad proportion ing valve or defective supplementary braking system.
That's why people trade in old cars....cause they don't know how to fix them
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Don

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have to replace rear brake pads about every 5000 miles of towing. They are down to rivots then. Any one else have rear brake problems ?
Thanks for any input

Yup.

I felt like something was holding back the MH. I'd been thinking trans, sticky calipers on it etc.

Then one day sitting down at a rest stop and looking at the toad? I thought what if its the toad?

Well...walked up to it and put my fingers thru the back rim onto the drum and almost burned off all my fingerprints!!:E

The springs on the back pads where shot and on one not even attached properly. The brake pads were dragging. Just REAL glad I caught it.

I now routinely check for heat on the discs and drums on the toad.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ahh, missed that the OP said his "pads" were wearing down in 5,000 miles, not the e-brake drum shoes on the rear. Different scenario.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
rear brake calipers are sticking, slides are rusty.
not common, the proportioning valve is bad.
not common, master cylinder has a problem for Rear system (front chamber), not fully releasing pressure.

WHEN was the last time the system was Bleed? every 2 years.. a must every 4 years..

a rubber ball has formed inside the rear rubber flex hose.. common in older Ford cars. acting like a pressure check valve.
but have seen this in many brands of vehicles.

retired auto mechanic. 43 years.

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Emergency brake has nothing to do with his brakes wearing out. They do not use the disc brake because the parking brakes have brake shoes and a drum built into the inside of the rotor.

travelnutz wrote:
Agree on the emergency brake not fully disengaging as the likely cause.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dodgeboy. The e-brake is usually a separate set of shoes, operating like drum brakes on the inside of the rotor. How are the front brakes? It's strange why the rears would wear and not the front. I've not towed a vehicle, so I'm not familiar with how a brake controller works with them, but I find it hard to imagine what would cause the rears to wear so rapidly.

What kind of mileage do you get with the brakey when not towing it?

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe have the mod move this to the Toad Section?

The fact that the OP has said this " I have to replace rear brake pads about every 5000 miles of towing. They are down to rivots then." should tell us he has disc brakes. The fact that he said the pads are wearing down to the rivets tells us it is not the e-brake cable as the e-brake is a set of brake shoes located inside the rotor.

OP I'm guessing you are running some kind of braking system on your truck that works off of either a rod pushing on the trucks brake pedal or tide into the brake system itself. If you had this installed go back and have them figure out what is going on and fix it. If you installed it yourself, go back over every detail and adjustment to see what is out of wack.

If it is tide into the trucks braking system the ABS system may be affecting the rear brakes. Not sure if you have four wheel independent ABS or if the rears are tide together.

Again you would find better answers over at the "TOAD SECTION" as those are the guys in the know.

Good luck Don

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You mean you're towing it behind a MH correct?
How could they get any wear. Do you have eoh brakes installed on the rear of the toad?
01 is disc brakes in back? Either way, the pistons are hanging up and grinding down your brakes and your fuel mileage in the mh.
Not really sure what you are asking, but the answer to your question is go get your brakes fixed.
How many sets you wear down like this?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree on the emergency brake not fully disengaging as the likely cause.
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, our 2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Dmax diesel CC LB 4X4 truck ordered new in 2004 which has only been used for RV towing/hauling still has the OEM rear brakes still on at getting close to 200,000 miles on them. Front brake pads were changed at about 126,000 miles. You have something seriously wrong with your truck/rear brakes if only getting 5000 miles on a set of rear brakes if they are decent quality. They must be dragging almost constantly. Nope, not normal at all!

Bedlam
Emergency brake binding and not fully releasing?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say you have your braking system set way too high. What happens at low speed on a loose gravel road when you apply the brakes, do the rear tires lock up and drag?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.