cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National General has lost my business!_

rvsue1985
Explorer
Explorer
I've had National General insurance on my vehicles and RV for the last 7 years and never had a claim. Took my RV out after the winter to find water intrusion with damage to the cab floor and wall. Took the RV to Camping World, their preferred provider. National General denied my claim saying Camping World told them it happened over time and although I have full coverage is not covered because they cannot determine what caused the leak. Since I didnt hit anything, I'm not covered. I have "Other than collission" coverage but denied because I didnt hit a tree or other object. Oh, I also have water intrusion coverage but now find out that is in the event of a flood. Just a note: ask your agent questions before purchasing your policy to find out exactly what is not covered. I called 2 other rv insurance companies and was told by both of them this would have been covered with their insurance. Thanks for nothing National General.
25 REPLIES 25

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never seen a Insurance company pay for water intrusion from lack of maintaince. Like another poster said if you can prove you did the maintaince ever year you might have a case.

By the way welcome to the forum. Probably not what you want to hear.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
If you can show maintenance records you may be able to challenge this depending on the wording of your policy. What is the repair bill?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

path1
Explorer
Explorer
"Just a note: ask your agent questions before purchasing your policy to find out exactly what is not covered."

In my experience that doesn't work either. Now before we buy any insurance on anything we read what is covered and what is not before buying any policy. And that's not exactly easy either with their terminology. If they won't provide the policy example and not a slick brochure and let you read the fine print before buying, we don't buy.

Lots of problems with insurance company's. That's one reason why they are so regulated and the main reason most states have had to set up a special dept. known as the "insurance commissioner".

Bottom line is Insurance company's don't get rich paying claims.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
That reminds me of an old joke about a store that was selling chicken for $1 per pound. A customer walked in and told the manager that a store down the street was selling chicken for $0.50 per pound. The manager then asked why he didn't buy his chicken at the other store. Well, the other store was out of chicken. "If I was out of chicken, I'd sell it for $0.25 a pound."

Those other insurance companies can say whatever they want since they won't actually have to process your claim. NEVER take any sales person's word on what will or won't be covered. I believe most states will allow you x number of days to review the policy and decline it if it doesn't fill the bill.

It sounds like your leak was probably caused by lack of maintenance. Some things an owner just has to take responsibility for. I've had my fair share of slide repairs due to water intrusion. Never even considered a call to an insurance company.

Probably but you really have no idea what's going with his rig.
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
No, it's like your claim for a new bumper was denied because it fell off due to rusted through bolts, not from being in a collision.

Yup.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why would they pay for that? The water damage was caused because you didn't bother to do basic steps in RV ownership - e.g., checking the RV out after the first rains to make sure there was no leaking, and if signs of leaking were found, taking steps to stop them before the next rains. You ignored that RV for the entire rainy season and then expected the insurance company to pay for your failure.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
OkSixpack wrote:
AngryBert-63 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Those other insurance companies can say whatever they want since they won't actually have to process your claim.

It sounds like your leak was probably caused by lack of maintenance.

^This. Well said.

Isn't that the equivilant of full coverage/collision insurance being denied because it was your fault that an accident happened?
Jim
No, it's like your claim for a new bumper was denied because it fell off due to rusted through bolts, not from being in a collision.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
That reminds me of an old joke about a store that was selling chicken for $1 per pound. A customer walked in and told the manager that a store down the street was selling chicken for $0.50 per pound. The manager then asked why he didn't buy his chicken at the other store. Well, the other store was out of chicken. "If I was out of chicken, I'd sell it for $0.25 a pound."

Those other insurance companies can say whatever they want since they won't actually have to process your claim. NEVER take any sales person's word on what will or won't be covered. I believe most states will allow you x number of days to review the policy and decline it if it doesn't fill the bill.

It sounds like your leak was probably caused by lack of maintenance. Some things an owner just has to take responsibility for. I've had my fair share of slide repairs due to water intrusion. Never even considered a call to an insurance company.
It really annoys me to say this, but I couldn't have said it better myself!!

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
AngryBert-63 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Those other insurance companies can say whatever they want since they won't actually have to process your claim.

^This. Well said.

Isn't that the equivilant of full coverage/collision insurance being denied because it was your fault that an accident happened?
Jim

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:

^This. Well said.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer

Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch