Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advise towing I-70 West going from Denver to Vail

davestar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
This is my 2nd trip with my camper trailer and would like to hear advise or experiences towing a camper on I-70.
I have a camper whose dry weight is 3080 lbs and has a 46G fresh water tank that will be full.
My overall estimate of the weight of the camper would be about 5200 lbs plus 350 lbs of camping gear on my truck bed.
I am towing the camper with a Nissan Titan V8 with a Tekonsha P3 brake controller set at 7.0
I've driven that route many times on my car and I know the speed limit varies with a max of 65 mph.
what is the recommended speed or advised speed for towing a camper that size on some of those 6% grade down slopes for a distance of over 8 miles?
Should I take frequent pit stops to cool the brakes and engine? Please help.
Kit Companion 197 - 1984
Titan 04 SE, Tekonsha P3
19 REPLIES 19

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
davestar wrote:
Thanks, yes it does have the 'tow mode'.

Use it!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
As you're descending you don't want to ride the brakes. That would cause them to overheat and affect braking ability. Don't be afraid to shift to a lower gear to keep the speed under control. If you're picking up too much speed, hit your brakes hard for brief periods to dump speed, then release them. You don't want to just "free fall" and then slam them on. Stay in the slow lane, let others go around, don't worry about it. You won't be the only one.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

davestar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, yes it does have the 'tow mode'.
Kit Companion 197 - 1984
Titan 04 SE, Tekonsha P3

colochoclab
Explorer
Explorer
If yout Titan has the tow package, you will do fine. Just keep the speeds sensible and tow in the right lane.
2008 Nissan Titan LE Crew 4x4
'06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS
'11 Bayliner 180ob
'99 Seadoo GTS
Member titantalk, seadooforum, benzworld.org

My Chocolate Labs "Snickers", "Reese" and "Hershey"(Passed)

"I asked God for a true friend: He sent me a Labrador Retriever."

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
You need to keep it slowed down going down, but you don't have to use brakes that much, use your engine compression. A good rule of thumb is don't go any faster downhill than you did going uphill.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)