cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need EXPERIENCED Help on Florida

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! I'm STILL on my first 5000 mile-plus trip to parts west but hope to be home in ten days or thereabouts. What an eye opener! I need to get ready for my next one though as I e done a few bad thangs. Is there anyone in Florida on here, or lower Georgia even who might can help me by working on the side or making recommendations for me of who can?? There is NO onE that I know of in Tallahassee. Camping World, sight unseen (cuz they won't let me walk on there and speak with their techs no matter WHAT the question is), said they want $1000.00 starters to resell my RV. Needlesstosay, THAT ain't happening not with them anyways...

Mostly to look at my seal job and tell me what it needs. Someone when I bought it "poured" plastic (?) over the top and front of the cab and it's starting to peel. Plus a Torcon 4 Storm in Iowa with driving winds forced water in one of my windows; hence, a leak I suppose.

The second week of my trip I was driving my little Toyota like it was a four-wheel and couldn't maneauver enough without hitting a baby tree which sprung open a seam in the back bumper area.

Ohhhyeah, crimped the back bumper sufficiently enough to cause a kinked-tear through it in one area AND -- if that's not enough --- somehow (don't ask me cuz I don't know),
There is a real bend in my Toyota front fender, passenger side.

Now I can tear OUT the carpet and install tile flooring, and do SOME things, but not those above.

If you, or someone you know comes with references boy I sure am willing to work with you to get 'er done . Thanks, as always, for the help you provide here.

Beth
1990 Toyota Dolphin, V6 EFI 22R (I think)

Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.

26 REPLIES 26

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
In fact if offered, it was refused and a little bird called the company he/she worked for the next day.

Are you saying that someone offered to help you and after you refused their help, you called their employer to complain? If so, that is just terribly inappropriate and mean-spirited.

When did bureaucracy overcome social interaction? I must have been napping. :?

Sorry, I was not clear. If someone offered to do work,for me,"on the side" and cheaper than his or her company charged. I have had those
offers more than once. They usually start out with:"You know I can save you some money....."

To me that is disrespectful, and disloyal, to the employer that invested in that employee, not to say probably not legal. I want no part of that.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
In fact if offered, it was refused and a little bird called the company he/she worked for the next day.

Are you saying that someone offered to help you and after you refused their help, you called their employer to complain? If so, that is just terribly inappropriate and mean-spirited.

When did bureaucracy overcome social interaction? I must have been napping. :?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
FK, you have been on here long enough to know, don't argue with Joe Guess Who (aka, DF). He is a retired Pest in the Control business. You will never get the last word in. I tried previously but just could not outlast him.

Well,I take that as a compliment from a formidable foe. Thank you.

When FK is wrong, and that is very rare, you can count on me to point it out, you too.

You always do. :S

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
FK, you have been on here long enough to know, don't argue with Joe Guess Who (aka, DF). He is a retired Pest in the Control business. You will never get the last word in. I tried previously but just could not outlast him.

Well,I take that as a compliment from a formidable foe. Thank you.

When FK is wrong, and that is very rare, you can count on me to point it out, you too.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
westend wrote:
OK, unless you are hiring Lebron James to work on your Dolphin and it includes a basketball game, you should be OK hiring out the work.

:B
Wait-
That only works if you first make them sign a statement swearing that they do NOT work for Dog Folks' RV/Auto Repair Shop, where every grease monkey and five bucks-an-hour cleanup guy is contractually obligated 24/7. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh please! You are just mad that some of your pontifications were wrong.

But thanks for the snotty answer anyways.

Also, show me ONE RV repair shop that is going to condone their technicians "working on the side." Just one.

And I am sure the tech that does has all the licenses and more importantly: insurance. Sarcasm key off now.

You guys are killing me on this thread. Some of the biggest violators hiring people "on the side" are owners of companies in the trades. A high end plumber I know hired guys on the side to do diesel engine work for him. When I asked why he was hiring it done on the side his reply was " Just because I charge it doesn't mean I'm willing to pay it". It of course was the hourly shop rate.

Well here is one retired business owner that never hired "on the side." Call me a fool if you wish, but I want all my work performed by a properly licensed and insured individuals. If something should go wrong, there is recourse. I was never willing to give that up, no matter how "cheap" the side worker was.

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP... my local dealer (south west GA) has always done an outstanding and ethical job for me. I have had him do work that I could possibly do myself, after a discussion on what was involved. Just recently had him replace a power cord, when my (now previous) yard guy ran over cord with mower, and then thought I should let him do the repair. His guys don't work off the clock for cash or for a different business. It is a small shop, and I can talk to the tech or the service guy and get the same opinion. check out Team RV in Albany GA.. he does charge the standard rate as local mechanics, so work isn't cheap, but he is honest and will talk to you about ways to do your repair without spending thousands of dollars.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
OK, unless you are hiring Lebron James to work on your Dolphin and it includes a basketball game, you should be OK hiring out the work.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
"On the side" normally means working in off-hours for someone other than the "main" employer. You may work in an office and have a job "on the side" as a retail clerk; or you are a banker and work "on the side" as a fix it man; etc.

"Under the table" means you are doing work and not reporting taxes on the income. You are getting paid "under the table" usually in cash.

The first is only not allowed if there was a hiring contract that specifically forbids it. Usually, it is limited to work that is competitive with the job, work that requires a license or permit - and which license or permit is paid for by the employer, or the job conveys a "status" or "prestige" on the employee that can be passed on to the "on the side job" by default (such as a police officer moonlighting as a security officer). Exceptions can be made at the discretion of the employer to the ban.

The latter is pretty much illegal per IRS.

To the OP, I would start calling around to various RV repair places in the town where you'll be and get some cost estimates. You can talk to RV park managers, etc. also to see if they know of anyone. Finding someone to do the work "on the side" isn't necessarily wrong, as long as there is no dishonesty, cheating, etc. And that the OP knows that any work done "on the side" at a less expensive rate will not include any guarantees, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at the Tallahassee Campground and they have a tech that might be able to help. He does not work for the CG but is an independent contractor. Sorry don't know the name.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have had good results with Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL.
They also have a new location in Lake Park GA exit 5.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The phone books are full of mobile RV techs
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)