cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with wet floor

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
My HTT (Wildwood 17EXL 2010) has been sitting since last October. Today I went out to clean it really good. The linoleum -- if you can call it that-- was cracked by the door. It's like some papery /cardboardy stuff with faux wood grain on top. It tore really easily. Underneath the flooring is wet but not rotted. I couldn't stick a screwdriver into it.

It rained really hard last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. Obviously I have a leak but where? And I need to replace all the flooring because there's a couple holes/tears in it in other places. It's really cheap stuff.

How would i go about finding where the leak is? I'm guessing somewhere on the roof or around the door frame. I'm a single older woman who is not into replacing the entire floor. Please direct me to some posts where fixing this kind of problem has been discussed.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH
15 REPLIES 15

puppypalace
Explorer
Explorer
I need help with water leak. BudDelicious I noticed that you had a 04 Surveyor too. We open ours up this spring and found discolored flooring from the outside door to the bath. We can't find the leak. We have Allied Insurance and they are telling us we have no coverage but can't tell us why. Any assistance you can provide on how you got your insurance company to pay would be greatly appreciated

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
I just can't believe a camper that I've had 3.5 years would be in this bad a shape!! I took CARE of it -- well I never waxed outside but I washed it!! The inside was cleaned after EVERY camping trip. I thought a BRAND-NEW camper would last me at LEAST 10 years -- maybe longer.

Good thing also is that I owe less than $5K on it so I MIGHT come out OK. At least I'm not upside-down on the loan like I usually am on my cars--LOL!

At this point, I really don't know if I'll get another camper or not. I kinda looked at the local CL and EVERY SINGLE ONE I looked at I thought "what if it has unseen water damage like mine?" Who do you get to inspect them from top to bottom to INSURE there's no HIDDEN problems?????
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
happybooker1...wow, just read the update. I sorry to hear it was bad news. Well I guess you settle up with the insurance company and figure out what to do next. Look on the bright side, at least the mold (if there was any) didn't make you sick, the floor didn't collapse while you were standing on it...Maybe you'll be able to buy another RV. Good luck!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Bad news. On initial inspection the trailer has been leaking through the front corner for at least a year. The inspector says the entire floor is toast. He thinks that it will be totaled. I'm just sick

I had a 3 year old camper totaled by insurance company due to water damage.

Happiest day of my camping career with that da## camper!!
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

BubDelicious
Explorer
Explorer
happybooker1 wrote:
Bad news. On initial inspection the trailer has been leaking through the front corner for at least a year. The inspector says the entire floor is toast. He thinks that it will be totaled. I'm just sick.

Sorry to hear that and I know the feeling as mine was totaled as well. Since it is totaled I assume they are paying out and you are not left with a total loss?

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Bad news. On initial inspection the trailer has been leaking through the front corner for at least a year. The inspector says the entire floor is toast. He thinks that it will be totaled. I'm just sick.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

BubDelicious
Explorer
Explorer
This may be correct, keep in mind Iam no expert, I have only had one water damage claim. My wife also worked as claim rep. previously and always told me it is more about what you told them or what not say. I talked to several people with the insurance company while making my claim and they would ask if I new where the water was coming in, my response was there is no leak/water coming, the damage is from parking it on a slant over the winter and the water/snow melt running off in the same places on the one side of the trailer and curling underneath, soaking the insulation under the trailer. They more then likely wont pay for something that is routine maintance, like a leak that develops in the roof(caulking/seam) or an outside light fixture. Iam not sure about your crack above the door, maybe water in the wall that froze?

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
BubDelicious wrote:
happybooker1 wrote:
Insurance is a good thing!! DUH!! I finally thought to call them & adjuster is coming out tomorrow morning to assess the leak & damage. Hopefully I'll get it all fixed just for the price of the deductible.

Ive been through the insurance thing for water damage and got the insurance company to pay. My advice, there are no leaks and looking at your pictures it looks like its at your door, so I would let them know that the door must have been left slighlty open when you closed it up for the winter.

Is this because they'll pay for water damage but not for leaks CAUSING water damage? My neighbor, when he looked at it, pointed out 2 3" long cracks right above the door in the outer 'shell'. One on each side of the door, which *could* be where the water got in. Regardless, good advice, since I DON'T know how the water got in, really. Let them find out.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

BubDelicious
Explorer
Explorer
happybooker1 wrote:
Insurance is a good thing!! DUH!! I finally thought to call them & adjuster is coming out tomorrow morning to assess the leak & damage. Hopefully I'll get it all fixed just for the price of the deductible.

Ive been through the insurance thing for water damage and got the insurance company to pay. My advice, there are no leaks and looking at your pictures it looks like its at your door, so I would let them know that the door must have been left slighlty open when you closed it up for the winter.

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would take to a rv service that does pressure leak testing. Make sure to check any seams in your roofing and around all roof penetrations. It is very important that you find the source of the leak before making any repairs. It has probably been leaking for some time--I don't think you would find the flooring cracking after only one hard rain. As other have said make sure to completely dry it out before doing any repairs. Good luck.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use a nozzle with the water hose while leak locating. With the defective flooring removed it should be easier to locate the leak.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
I agree...rip up the vinyl flooring and let it dry completely before recovering. You should probably treat the floor with a mold killer/sealer before redoing it "just in case". But before you do that, as another poster suggested, go inside and have someone hose down the outside until you can find the leak. Only then will you know what you are up against.

Good luck...leaks are such a horrid misery to chase down and fix!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hate to say it but the best thing you could do is rip that flooring out and let that floor dry completely. Put a fan in there for a few days. If you dont get it dry, you will get mould under the flooring. Not good for your health. After that consider getting someone to do a low pressure air test and find the source of the leak before you replace the flooring. No point in fixing the floor with the leak still there.