cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need recommendations on RV garage door opener

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations on brand and model of opener for a 12'h x 16'w overhead door. Also if there are brands you would not recommend and reason. :?
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU
9 REPLIES 9

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong,
Check the Yellow Pages under "Garage Doors". Look for companies that sell and install COMMERCIAL openers like my Liftmasters. My local Home Depot and Lowe's didn't carry them, either. Unless your 12'x16' door is made out of cardboard, a home door opener won't move it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the inputs, Checked into Genie as Sommer and Liftmaster are not available in our area. Currently looking into what Genie offer for openers for a 12'h x 16'w door. Sure don't like not having more choices.
I did call the closest Lowes and Home Depot and neither offer installation for openers over 8' high.
Do appreciate all the inputs and once we get one installed we will post the manufacture and model.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3 door garage with 12'x12' doors. I have a Liftmaster Commercial ATS 2113K on each one. They've worked perfectly for 10 years. They're chain drive.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned a garage door company for 10 years,I will say that from the service
calls we made to repair and or replace automatic door openers,that Geni screw drive 1/2 hp would be your best option.
(I no longer own the company,and have no affiliation with any brand of automatic opener,or with any garage door company)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Sommer USA.. sold by Lowes "on-line only"

NO plastic transmission. direct drive. very little noise... no moving chain. or driveshaft.

and NO .. I just own on.. I do not work or sale them.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I believe LiftMaster openers must be installed by them.
I had a Craftsman opener that would open by itself apparently by spurious signals from somewhere. I replaced it with a look-alike Chamberlain and the problem went away.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Lift Master.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned the chain drive Sears brand which I think was made by Chamberlain and it worked fine. I later went to the screw drive Genie type from Lowes and that one works fine too. Most professional installers use Lift Master.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10'h x 16'w door that's a roll up. I have a Chamberlain Commercial opener that's mounted beside the door. It was installed July 08, never a problem the remote is purchased separately and changes codes every time it's used. Salty but it's been worth it so far.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman