Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Door issues

kjandjosh
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I have a 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS

I am having issues some of the time opening the door.
It seems like the screen door is getting hung up or something.

and before anyone says it. Yes it is unlocked and yes i am pulling on the handle.

Anyone have this type of issue before?
and tips or tricks?
11 REPLIES 11

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Most COMMON reason for the screen door hanging up is raising the stab jacks too high. How does the door work with the trailer sitting only on its tires? With a new trailer, and if it catches all the time, I'd make it my dealers problem ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know your set-up but often the screen door has a hinge with much more offset than a regular door. Because of the offset, it is easily bent and then you have a missaligned door that rubs or jams in the closed position. Figure out which way the door has to go and bend the hinge back.

NormF
F1BNorm

kjandjosh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will try to fiddle with it tonight and let you all know.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If its like my Cedar Creek door the screen door has it's own latch that needs to be overcome before the door is opened. Might simply need a slight adjustment to the latch mechanism to make it a bit softer.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
The door on our 5ver gave me fits at first.
I was going to let the selling dealer handle it.

Ended up just pulling down on the screen door so it didn't hit the upper outside corner.
Fiddled with the screen door catch a bit so it latched to the entry door a bit better.
Working well enough now.

The builder of our trailer (Heartland) has sent me a new latch and paddle for the entry door and a few parts for the screen door.

Sometimes these doors are a real pain when out of whack as you are finding out.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Could simply be out of adjustment then. Perform the same test I listed above, and make sure the catch retracts all the way into the door.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

kjandjosh
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Check the handle. Open the door and watch the latch while you slowly pull the handle. If there is too much play, the linkage in the handle may be getting worn out and the mechanism needs replacing.

This is brand new as in like 3 weeks ago out of the factory

kjandjosh
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Is it setup? And if so, Do you have it sitting on the stabilizers instead of the wheels? In other words. Did you use the jacks to lift one side to make it level. Instead of raising it with blocks under the wheels? If that is the case. You could have put the frame in a bind, which put the door in a bind, and would make it hard to open.

Don't know if you did. But the stabilizers are not for leveling.

it does it all the time even when on the wheels.
I am wondering if it is issues with the lock???

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Check the handle. Open the door and watch the latch while you slowly pull the handle. If there is too much play, the linkage in the handle may be getting worn out and the mechanism needs replacing.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it setup? And if so, Do you have it sitting on the stabilizers instead of the wheels? In other words. Did you use the jacks to lift one side to make it level. Instead of raising it with blocks under the wheels? If that is the case. You could have put the frame in a bind, which put the door in a bind, and would make it hard to open.

Don't know if you did. But the stabilizers are not for leveling.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers